* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:44PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OH MY GOODNESS!
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 9:49AM 
Lieutenant General

Source: VPN
Quote:
Could Nobel Prize Spur Gore To Run In '08?
NEW YORK, Oct. 10, 2007(CBS) This story was written by CBSNews.com political reporter Brian Montopoli.

The Nobel Peace Prize, which will be announced Friday in Oslo, Norway, doesn't normally play a significant role in U.S. presidential politics.

But the possibility that former Vice President Al Gore might take the prize has some Gore supporters buzzing that the 2000 Democratic Party nominee for president might be convinced to take the plunge once again.

Gore and Canadian Inuit activist Sheila Watt-Cloutier, who were jointly nominated for the prize for their work on climate change, have been identified as likely winners by Nobel handicappers. If they win, Gore supporters say, it could spur the former vice president to make a late entry into the presidential race.

"Winning a Nobel Peace Prize is a life changing event," said Dylan Malone, who runs a Web site called AlGore.org, which advocates a Gore presidential run. "If he wins (the Nobel), he will undoubtedly reassess the situation and think, 'Where do I go next?' He's done the slideshow, made the movie, won every accolade that our society has to give. There's nowhere else to go to take it to the next level in my mind."

On Wednesday, the Web site Draft Gore paid for a full-page open letter to Gore in the New York Times. "You say you have fallen out of love with politics, and you have every reason to feel that way," reads the letter. "But we know you have not fallen out of love with your country. And your country needs you now -- as do your party and the planet you are fighting so hard to save."

The ad said that 136,000 people have signed a petition asking Gore to run for president.

According to Gore spokesperson Kalee Kreider, the former vice president "has no intention of running."

"Vice President Gore truly appreciates the sentiment and the feeling behind the ad (yesterday), but as a private citizen his efforts are going behind a campaign of a different kind," said Kreider. "The vast majority of his energy right now is going into educating people about the climate crisis and trying to get that issue to a tipping point."

That sentiment hasn't stopped Gore partisans. Peter Ryder, who is organizing a rally and concert in Iowa urging Gore to run, acknowledges that his efforts at times seem quixotic. Still, he says, "When I go around just talking to people, they all say, 'Oh my goodness, if Gore was running, there would be no question I'd support him.' If he got in, I think he would attract a great many Democrats."

According to recent CBS News polls, Gore remains popular among Democratic primary voters. In a poll conducted this summer, 55 percent of likely Democratic primary voters said they viewed the former vice president favorably, while only 20 percent had an unfavorable view. In April, a CBS News poll found that 35 percent of Americans believe Gore's positions go too far in protecting the environment at the expense of economic concerns, while 48 percent believe he strikes the right balance. (Read more CBS News poll analysis on Gore.)

Even Gore's staunchest supporters admit that with the first presidential primaries likely to be held in less than three months, time is running out for a late entry to the race.

"Because of his incredible appeal and his name recognition, he still has time, but the window of opportunity is closing pretty quickly," said Draft Gore founder Monica Friedlander. "The registration deadlines are closing for primaries. After the beginning of next month, it's going to be very difficult."

Gore explicitly ruled out running in 2004, something he has not done this time around. But while the politician-turned-filmmaker has passionate supporters, most Democratic primary voters -- 67 percent in a CBS News poll taken in August -- said they are happy with the selection of candidates now in the race. If Gore does decide to enter, he faces an uphill battle: Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama alone have raised around $80 million each since the beginning of the year, and all of his potential rivals have been campaigning, advertising and debating for months.

"There are genuine practical considerations at play here," said Democratic strategist and former Gore aide Chris Lehane. "One, the ability to get on a ballot in all these states with a small window of opportunity to accomplish that. Secondly, to put together a campaign and raise money in a very short time. Most of the activists and key players are already aligned with campaigns. These aren't impossible impediments, but they are significant."

Democratic strategist and longtime Gore adviser Michael Feldman, who is not working on a presidential campaign, said he doesn't see Gore jumping in the race.

"Everything he's said publicly and privately indicates that he's not planning a campaign," said Feldman.

That's a sentiment echoed by Carter Eskew, chief strategist for the Gore 2000 presidential campaign.

If Gore wins the Nobel Prize, Eskew said, "I think it will certainly increase efforts like you saw in the paper, but I really don't think it'll have any impact on him at all. I think he's on a different path right now."

But Gore supporters are holding out hope.

"A lot of people are sacrificing a lot," said Draft Gore founder Friedlander. "People are donating to this cause who can't afford to donate. But we believe very strongly he is very, very desperately needed. This is not a campaign of people who think he's a great guy. This is not about him. It's about the country."

If he whens it, I will lose ALL respect for the entire world....:cry:

Especially since he didn't get dick for inventing the internet...

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 9:55AM 
Colonel

Source: MST Wireless
Half man, half bearpig.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 10:27AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
I made a promise to my self that I would fly the US flag upside down if Al Gore was ever elected to the Presidency. I think I need to add the Nobel prize to the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 10:45AM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Say whatever you want to about him, that he's a self-promoting douche, that he's a hypocrite, whatever, but who else as prominent as Gore has raised awareness of global warming and humans' affects on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 11:02AM 
Spanish

Source: Fidelity
ben laden wrote:
Say whatever you want to about him, that he's a self-promoting douche, that he's a hypocrite, whatever, but who else as prominent as Gore has raised awareness of global warming and humans' affects on it?

before you start licking his brown eye about *shudder shudder* global warming, I suggest you watch this film: The Great Global Warming Swindle
here's a little hint, the sun (a non-static entity) has grossly MORE affect over our planet's weather (also a non-static entity) than it's habitants

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 11:19AM 
Brigadier General

Source: CSF Building
heretic wrote:
ben laden wrote:

before you start licking his brown eye about *shudder shudder* global warming, I suggest you watch this film: The Great Global Warming Swindle
here's a little hint, the sun (a non-static entity) has grossly MORE affect over our planet's weather (also a non-static entity) than it's habitants

I'd like to watch that. ;)

Last edited by Colossians3 on Thu 10-11-2007 11:51AM, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 11:50AM 
Captain

Source: RC I
edit: fixed

yes, i am Shatner.

Last edited by SteelbluesleepR on Thu 10-11-2007 12:01PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 11:51AM 
Brigadier General

Source: CSF Building
Where's the feet are you talking about, Steel Blue?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 11:52AM 
bertowned
bertowned

what place was it that i read that the hole in the ozone layer shrank by 30% this year? or that there were successful dairy farmers in northern Greenland over 500 years ago. Until we can start a beach resort in N. Greenland, i'm not concerned about global warming. The average global temperatures for the past ~150 years or so have been significantly COOLer than the average over the past several thousand years.

just because the idea of global warming is all the rage in Europe, and its a fad to hate and blame W for global warming and not doing enough about it, doesn't make it true. Do we need to monitor our use of fuels and output of pollutants and emissions? yes - thats responsible, but we're only beginning to truly understand and model our planet's ecosystem, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-11-2007 12:11PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
/\ exactly. the earth's climate changes constantly. to think humans could have any sort of impact on something as large as a planet's climate is ludicris and very egotistical. a single vocano or forest fire puts out so much polution its not even funny. those are natural occurences, and of the millions of each that have occured, we are still living here. yes we need to be more responsible, but people need stop yammering on as if it is an international emergency.

yes, i am Shatner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-12-2007 7:40AM 
Lieutenant General

Baby Jesus weeps... :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-12-2007 7:59AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
I've lost all respect for the award.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-12-2007 9:13AM 
Colonel

Source: Wilson Library
[rant] Ok, I dont really know enough at all to decide whether climate change is man made or is natural. I have no clue whether humans have the technology/resources/will to keep the climate at its current state. I do however, see climate change as more of an issue now that a nobel prize has been given out to Gore. If people who are smarter and more knowlegeble about this subject than i am say 'Hey, This thing is important and has some legitimacy' then i am going to believe them. I mean, if a guy who inspects cars says that this seatbelt wont save you in an accident, would you still drive the car?

[/rant]

return 0;

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-12-2007 9:17AM 
Drowning

Source: EE Building
gore is a piece of shit, he made a movie based on his thoughts. Even if he brought a movement towards the topic, his contribution wasnt even legitimate. If they gave it to him for inventing the internet I would understand.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-12-2007 9:45AM 
Lieutenant General

Galvatron96 wrote:
[rant] Ok, I dont really know enough at all to decide whether climate change is man made or is natural. I have no clue whether humans have the technology/resources/will to keep the climate at its current state. I do however, see climate change as more of an issue now that a nobel prize has been given out to Gore. If people who are smarter and more knowlegeble about this subject than i am say 'Hey, This thing is important and has some legitimacy' then i am going to believe them. I mean, if a guy who inspects cars says that this seatbelt wont save you in an accident, would you still drive the car?

[/rant]

return 0;

A seat belt WON'T "save" you, it merely increases the ODDS of surviving (and even then, you can't really quantify a certain number of lives saved, since you can't go back in time and have the people relive the SAME crash without a seat belt....)

Profile E-mail