* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:30PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Getting Detention for Giving Hugs
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 12:05PM 
Major

Source: VPN
http://www.parentdish.com/2007/11/07/st ... r-friends/

I can see why they want to be strict about PDoA, but I think they went about it the wrong way here.

What do you have to say, you "free hug" people? ;)

http://designsbykathryn.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 12:17PM 
Lieutenant General

I don't get why this doesn't fall under freedom of expression... that is assuming both parties are willing.

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 2:33PM 
Colonel

Source: CompSci Building
Someone start a countdown till when they ban high-fives and hand shaking...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 3:41PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ North
Yeah, stupid. I can understand not wanting make-out parties in the hallway, but come on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 3:46PM 
Colonel

Source: Alpha Epsilon Pi
jthxv wrote:
I don't get why this doesn't fall under freedom of expression... that is assuming both parties are willing.

Thats the thing Schools can do what they want as long as they state the reason is it interferes with learning.

Remember just because your bones are broken dosen't mean they wont stop bullets from hitting me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 4:24PM 
bertowned
bertowned

having a conversation would be considered a display of affection. you are affectionate enough with the person to stomach the english language with them.

since any affection is doubleplusungood, i recommend we switch to newspeak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 4:33PM 
Major General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
EmptySoul? wrote:
jthxv wrote:

Thats the thing Schools can do what they want as long as they state the reason is it interferes with learning.

But this doesn't interfere with learning.

Now if 2 students are making out in class, that's one thing, but this hardly seems like it would interfere with anything.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 8:15PM 
Lieutenant General

I didn't read very close, but I got the impression this was in the hallway after class...

Why not outlaw MURDER instead of trying to outlaw guns?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 9:06PM 
Brigadier General

jthxv wrote:
I didn't read very close, but I got the impression this was in the hallway after class...

Doesn't matter. It's a joke either way. Using the same logic I could probably get my K-2nd grade teachers on sexual assault since they showed me some PDA when they hugged me. If a cop (a government agent) can't write you a ticket or arrest you for it on public ground then schools (a government agent) shouldn't be able to do crap about it either.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-08-2007 10:00PM 
Colonel

Source: Alpha Epsilon Pi
devil wrote:
EmptySoul? wrote:
jthxv wrote:

But this doesn't interfere with learning.

Now if 2 students are making out in class, that's one thing, but this hardly seems like it would interfere with anything.....

I agree. Its just that the public school system can do what they want when it regards to what happens in the school. Its a bunch of bull shit, but what can you do?

Remember just because your bones are broken dosen't mean they wont stop bullets from hitting me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-09-2007 12:41AM 
Colonel

Agentzak wrote:
jthxv wrote:

Doesn't matter. It's a joke either way. Using the same logic I could probably get my K-2nd grade teachers on sexual assault since they showed me some PDA when they hugged me. If a cop (a government agent) can't write you a ticket or arrest you for it on public ground then schools (a government agent) shouldn't be able to do crap about it either.

Well, I don't know about that... There are a lot of things that you can't get a ticket for that definitely wouldn't be appropriate for school... but getting in trouble for a consensual hug is just absurd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-09-2007 1:09AM 
Brigadier General

Altaica wrote:
Agentzak wrote:
jthxv wrote:

Well, I don't know about that... There are a lot of things that you can't get a ticket for that definitely wouldn't be appropriate for school... but getting in trouble for a consensual hug is just absurd.

I was thinking about that too. I know that it opens up the possibility to do many bad things but back before they had all of these rules they didn't seem to have a problem with it. Once they outlawed PDA, it seemed like they see PDA all over the place now, even with huggers. I know it's inappropriate to make out right in the middle of class but you can't legislate manners.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-09-2007 10:21AM 
Colonel

Agentzak wrote:
I was thinking about that too. I know that it opens up the possibility to do many bad things but back before they had all of these rules they didn't seem to have a problem with it. Once they outlawed PDA, it seemed like they see PDA all over the place now, even with huggers. I know it's inappropriate to make out right in the middle of class but you can't legislate manners.

I know there are plenty of instances where kids probably do things just because they're not allowed to, but I honestly think things such as making out or groping in public are simply a result of degradation of societal values (primarily manners), but that's a-whole-nother discussion really.

As far as legislating manners, perhaps not to the point that you get a ticket if you don't say "Please" and "Thank you", but I don't think it's a stretch at all to require students to learn it in school (even if they refuse to use it). Missouri requires a government class in order to graduate. I've even heard of schools requiring a Driver's Ed class in order to graduate. A required class on manners is actually something I wouldn't mind seeing mandated for schools. It's obvious that many of them aren't getting it from home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-09-2007 12:43PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
Altaica wrote:
Agentzak wrote:

I know there are plenty of instances where kids probably do things just because they're not allowed to, but I honestly think things such as making out or groping in public are simply a result of degradation of societal values (primarily manners), but that's a-whole-nother discussion really.

As far as legislating manners, perhaps not to the point that you get a ticket if you don't say "Please" and "Thank you", but I don't think it's a stretch at all to require students to learn it in school (even if they refuse to use it). Missouri requires a government class in order to graduate. I've even heard of schools requiring a Driver's Ed class in order to graduate. A required class on manners is actually something I wouldn't mind seeing mandated for schools. It's obvious that many of them aren't getting it from home.

I've made out in public. In the middle times square, in a crosswalk actually. No one even cared and I wouldn't really say it's a degradation of societal values but different locations have different values.

Requiring learning particular subjects in school is really why many people switch to homeschooling. Why waste time with all of the forced governmental crap getting shoved down your kids throat when you can do it better and without all of the "be a good citizen" fluff.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-09-2007 2:10PM 
Colonel

Source: CompSci Building
Agentzak wrote:
I've made out in public. In the middle times square, in a crosswalk actually. No one even cared and I wouldn't really say it's a degradation of societal values but different locations have different values.

I don't think making out necessarily ranks way up there on the "improper things to do in public" list, and it really doesn't bother me at all, but strictly speaking in terms of manners, it's certainly not the least bit proper and definitely has no place at all in a classroom.

Quote:
Requiring learning particular subjects in school is really why many people switch to homeschooling. Why waste time with all of the forced governmental crap getting shoved down your kids throat when you can do it better and without all of the "be a good citizen" fluff.

That's just it though... they're not getting these lessons they need from home (in my opinion, at least). And that's essentially what school is for: to teach the things that aren't taught at home. That doesn't just apply to geography and calculus, but societal values as well. Is it sad that students have to learn how to be a responsible citizen, have to learn about safe sex, have to learn not to abuse alcohol/drugs, have to learn how to drive, and have to learn how to behave in public, all from their schools? Absolutely, but if parents aren't going to teach them, who is?