* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 7:31AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-09-2007 3:08PM 
Brigadier General

Source: VPN
Altaica wrote:
That's just it though... they're not getting these lessons they need from home (in my opinion, at least). And that's essentially what school is for: to teach the things that aren't taught at home. That doesn't just apply to geography and calculus, but societal values as well. Is it sad that students have to learn how to be a responsible citizen, have to learn about safe sex, have to learn not to abuse alcohol/drugs, have to learn how to drive, and have to learn how to behave in public, all from their schools? Absolutely, but if parents aren't going to teach them, who is?

I agree that many are not getting these lessons but school shouldn't make up for what parents fail at. Parents have a constitutional right to raise their kids however they want, including bad. Some parents, especially religious ones do teach their children about safe sex with, "Don't do it until you are married." Now while the rest of the world may not agree with this view, too bad for them because it isn't their kid and schools should stay out of that business. Schools are there to teach reading, writing, math, etc not parental values as the government sees fit. Besides from a survival point of view, abstinence until marriage makes sense. They are less likely to die from an STD, more likely to get a good job, and more likely to raise a kid with two parents instead of one. I just don't think schools should force what they think is right at anyone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-09-2007 6:30PM 
Colonel

Source: VPN
Agentzak wrote:
I agree that many are not getting these lessons but school shouldn't make up for what parents fail at. Parents have a constitutional right to raise their kids however they want, including bad.

I agree to an extent, but I don't necessarily see how teaching such things in school is any different than teaching, oh say geography, for example. Some might argue that it's even more important than geography. And as long as you don't cross significant idealogical boundaries (ie. saying it's ok to have sex, as long as you use a condom) and if you at least allow parents to opt their child out of any lesson that they may object to on idealogical grounds, then what's the problem really?

Quote:
Some parents, especially religious ones do teach their children about safe sex with, "Don't do it until you are married." Now while the rest of the world may not agree with this view, too bad for them because it isn't their kid and schools should stay out of that business.

Again, I agree to an extent, and I I'm pretty sure that parents even have the option of opting their student out of sex-ed lessons... but really, is there anything wrong with teaching the consequences of unprotected sex in a Health class? It's ok to learn biology and chemistry and physics, but not the science of your own body? If parents want to opt their child out, that's fine, but I don't see the point in depriving everyone else of the valuable lesson.

Quote:
Schools are there to teach reading, writing, math, etc not parental values as the government sees fit. Besides from a survival point of view, abstinence until marriage makes sense. They are less likely to die from an STD, more likely to get a good job, and more likely to raise a kid with two parents instead of one. I just don't think schools should force what they think is right at anyone.

I don't think that schools should HAVE TO force such lessons onto students, but in the absence of parents doing so, I don't mind schools saying "Hey, don't do drugs", "Hey, don't get herpes", "Hey, drive on the right side of the road", "Hey, voting is important"... It'd be nice if all schools had to worry about were reading, writing, and math, but someone's got to get the job done. That's just my view of things though.