Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 1:18PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Parents heal their daughter through prayer
PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 9:19PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
I don't see how this is any different than natural selection. Stupid parents let their kids die, their kids don't have a chance to spread the stupidity. Sucks for the kids, but that's how it works. You can try and regulate and legislate it, but you can't stop stupidity. It is far too great a force.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:03PM 
awesome yet humble

Source: Holtman Hall
Agentzak wrote:
I don't see how this is any different than natural selection. Stupid parents let their kids die, their kids don't have a chance to spread the stupidity. Sucks for the kids, but that's how it works. You can try and regulate and legislate it, but you can't stop stupidity. It is far too great a force.

Faith is not stupidity.

I'm not saying that the parents aren't stupid. They might have some screws loose, but if a person has faith, that doesn't make them stupid. While I give them credit for giving faith a chance, I think more secular methods would have been more applicable.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:15PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Off Campus
Eh they were being dumb Christians. I prefer to think of natural selection as a device given to us by god. Those prone to faith, logic, and reason are easily the best.

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:22PM 
post whore
post whore

Source: VPN
Battalion wrote:
Eh 1 death for Christians to how many for secular progress?

It should be noted that I was talking about Christian Scientists... they're a different breed of crazy from just plain christian's... they're the ones that deny medicine.

Jehovas witnesses deny blood transfusions.

Ahh, bioethics class, you serve me well.

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:23PM 
Drowning

prone to logic? what exactly does that mean?

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:28PM 
Captain

Source: RC II
Battalion wrote:
Eh they were being dumb Christians. I prefer to think of natural selection as a device given to us by god. Those prone to faith, logic, and reason are easily the best.

Well. Your statement may make sense to you, but to me, it's a bit confusing. The terms "faith, logic, and reason" don't really go together. In fact, faith and reason are pretty much mutually exclusive in my opinion. Perhaps you could at least clarify if not set me straight on your intended statement? Or are you just trying to BS us?

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:35PM 
post whore
post whore

LostBoyz wrote:
prone to logic? what exactly does that mean?

It means you do this stuff:

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:42PM 
Lieutenant

I would have to disagree with you Flame. Faith, reasoning, and logic go very well together. Though I shouldn't be recommending reading I have not personally read, the works of Thomas Aquinas are famous for arguing their compatibility and C.S. Lewis had a bit to say about it in "Mere Christianity" I believe. Religion, or at least Christianity and Islam, have never been enemies of science. In fact the father of Calculus, Newton, created Calculus in dedication to God. When science has proposed things that could kill lots of people religion has of course got angry but it has never been an enemy.

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:45PM 
post whore
post whore

I think you missed that whole Spanish Inquisition thing...

If you read the works of William Blake you'll find that organized religion is a sham that perpetuates itself.

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:49PM 
Drowning

so excommunicating (or threat thereof) christopher columbus, galileo, da vinci, and many others from the church wasnt against their view on science?

Newton could have dedicated his work to ever he wants but calculus was to understand our world under physical means and not that of faith.

Faith is in nature mutually exclusive from reason and logic, because to have faith no proof must exist in what you believe. That is not to say that you can have faith and something and then have it become fact or based on facts, but then no longer is a faith device.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:54PM 
Lieutenant

benm wrote:

Thats dangerous ground and an intellectual trap I suggest you avoid. Between 933 and 5,000 were killed by the Inquisition. Thats damn low. Some of those numbers are even lower then the number of bike riders that died in California last year. Do you want to drop this evidence or not?

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:58PM 
Drowning

/me hits the landmine

so because bike accidents in CA are.....an act of god

A man acting under the power of god can pull about the same numbers and it is logically/morally ok?

is this where faith and logic meet?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 10:58PM 
post whore
post whore

Battalion wrote:
benm wrote:

Thats dangerous ground and an intellectual trap I suggest you avoid. Between 933 and 5,000 were killed by the Inquisition. Thats damn low. Some of those numbers are even lower then the number of bike riders that died in California last year. Do you want to drop this evidence or not?

5000 people died in the WTC. At what point does a number of murders become "ok", or no longer a trap? How do you draw the line? Is there a line? Are you saying it would be ok to kill 932 people in the name of religion? Ok, then how about 931? 500? 1?

No, I think I still like this evidence.

It should also be noted that 5000 people in the year 1400 (scaled relative to population) is equal to 92,857 people now.

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 11:17PM 
Lieutenant

My my my my my, so many arrows. I might actually be worried if my AC was lower.
I'll begin partially with Lost who seems to have divulged from his usual level of reason. First give me a citing for Leo, I've never heard of him being excommunicated or threatened with it so a citation would be acceptable. Galileo was never excommunicated, this is very important. He was instead killed for being a dick to his patron the pope(hmm now where is that lovely quote). Gally was saying the same stuff Copernicus theorized and the church had no problem with it. If they did they would of excommunicated them instead of just killing Gally for mouthing off at the pope. I would also like citation on Christopher, who from what I was reading was a pretty big dick. Also when did he use the scientific method?

To bad on the Newton thing though, he did calculus to understand God, even a cursory glance on the internet can tell you that. Im assuming you have a google search thing on firefox.

Ill avoid the semantics game for now until you bring up the level of the rest of your game. Arguing semantics is boring after all and you still have alot more good religion is bad for science factoids you can use.

your next benm

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 11:27PM 
Lieutenant

lets see 932 people over...358 years equals. You know I never was really good at math. I can say this Mountain is most certainly not a mole hill no sir. If we want to play "in the name of games" we could definetly bring up Robespierre, but we're not that shallow. Nope. Nor will we bring up questions on whether it really matters if it was done in the name of some concept if a nuclear weapon built by a scientist kills almost a hundred thousand people which today would be equal to like a hundred thousand people probably.

What you wanted to do was bring up Genghis Khan but yall suck at this game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next