Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 1:06PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wal-Mart Sues Disabled Ex-Employee.
PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 5:58PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ North
Linky.

That's pretty low, Walmart. I hope it's worth it for you all.

Post subject: Re: Wal-Mart Sues Disabled Ex-Employee.
PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 6:13PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Off Campus
Ah but who is worse? The giant or the one that feeds the giant?

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 7:53PM 
Colonel

Battalion wrote:

In this particular instance I think this is sort of an immoral, unnecessary and bad-for-publicity lawsuit, and in THIS case the giant is to blame. However in general, it is hard to say.

Though Wal-Mart is correct by law, I am slightly awestruck at the cojones Wal-Mart has for pulling this stunt. They are just that sure that this won't hurt their business more than $400,000. Wow.

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 8:03PM 
Major

I can't believe people are outraged by this story at all. Sure, the shit really sucked for the person (I like how the article focused some on the death of her son which occured afterwards) but Wal-Mart shouldn't have had to sue at all. The right thing to do was for the family to return the money after the settlement after they were contacted by Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart was simply recouping there money from a large settlement. This is a common health insurance caviat and makes perfect sense. They got money to pay for the injury, in effect Wal-Mart gave them a 0% interest loan before the settlement came out.

And as for the statements about it being nice that Wal-Mart give the money back, sure that would be nice. It would also be nice if all of us gave our unneeded discretionary income to charity or to those who need it more. Might be a nice thing to do but they are in no way morally required to do so.

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 8:13PM 
Lieutenant

calculusninja wrote:
Battalion wrote:

In this particular instance I think this is sort of an immoral, unnecessary and bad-for-publicity lawsuit, and in THIS case the giant is to blame. However in general, it is hard to say.

Though Wal-Mart is correct by law, I am slightly awestruck at the cojones Wal-Mart has for pulling this stunt. They are just that sure that this won't hurt their business more than $400,000. Wow.

How do you keep misinterpreting me? Wal-marts the giant and were the ones that feed it every time we go there to shop. Calling into question our responsibility whenever Wal-mart does something evil.

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 8:24PM 
Drowning

It's fairly absurd because if they had not pressed charges agains the trucking company walmart would have payed 100% of the medical expenses, but because they do press charges as a "get as much as we can" situation and suddenly you lose.

Its a dumb policy and is just further motivation to get a real job with good benefits. Luckily I am still on my dads insurance. Since I got hit by a drunk driver in a ford company lease vehicle with ford insurance I have almost no out of pocket expenses, and we are not only allowed but encouraged to seek a civil suit against the driver.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 11:26PM 
Colonel

Battalion wrote:
calculusninja wrote:
Battalion wrote:

How do you keep misinterpreting me? Wal-marts the giant and were the ones that feed it every time we go there to shop. Calling into question our responsibility whenever Wal-mart does something evil.

I understood that. I think the misunderstanding is bidirectional :)

PostPosted: Sat 03-29-2008 11:28PM 
Lieutenant

Agreed, btw do you happen to know the coalition of steves on your floor?

PostPosted: Sun 03-30-2008 1:28AM 
Colonel

which floor do you assume I live on?

PostPosted: Sun 03-30-2008 9:38AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
I could have sworn there was an article on here last year that wal-mart sued an employee because they were able to get money for medical expenses from a different source.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-30-2008 12:05PM 
Major

Sad case, but "thems the breaks". Insurance policies are often written in such a way that things like this happen. The family should have taken care to read the clause (or hire a lawyer to do so) and taken measures.

As I understand it, the Wal*mart method of business with regards to most businesses (suppliers and contractors) is to have the company 'bid' an offer. Shelf space on stores is dominated by companies that bid a sufficient amount of money to gain that space. The same is most likely true for their various benefits plans.

This would take the shape of several insurance companies stating a price-and-plan and Wal*mart choosing the one that would cost them the least amount of money while helping to maintain their image of "a company that cares". Thus an employee would get full coverage, but lose the right to seek damages.

Former Wal*mart associate (their word for employee) signing off .....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 04-02-2008 10:18AM 
Colonel

Update: the case has been dropped.

Apparently Wal-Mart didn't like the publicity.