* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:36AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Teachers use scare tactics to warn about DUI's
PostPosted: Fri 06-13-2008 12:58PM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/school-def ... 3009990001

Thought this was interesting. I figure, if I wouldn't like this done to me - and I wouldn't - I shouldn't do it to other people.

http://designsbykathryn.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave me a comment or send me a message!

Post subject: Re: Teachers use scare tactics to warn about DUI's
PostPosted: Sat 06-14-2008 12:03AM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
here's the comment i tried to post:

the ends DO NOT justify the means. These students were LIED to and TRAUMATIZED. Counselors and administrators spend their entire high school career telling students to trust them - that they have their best interests at heart. Clearly not. By lying to the students they violated that trust and hurt their students.

Also would these same people supporting this initiative be as supportive if someone kidnapped their child/significant other and then told them they'd been killed while drunk driving?

A school's job is to TEACH students about the world, not traumatize them or cause them to fear it. Fear is never the right path.

PostPosted: Sat 06-14-2008 4:02PM 
Major

before prom every year at my high school they used to take a really banged up, totalled car and plop it right down on the front lawn of school, saying that someone who went to our school or a rival school died in that car due to drunk driving. I'm pretty sure that those cars were the cars the fire department across the street used to practice on.

PostPosted: Sun 06-15-2008 12:18AM 
Captain

Duke of URL wrote:
before prom every year at my high school they used to take a really banged up, totalled car and plop it right down on the front lawn of school, saying that someone who went to our school or a rival school died in that car due to drunk driving. I'm pretty sure that those cars were the cars the fire department across the street used to practice on.

Our school always had a car out on the lawn, and as far as I know it was a legitimate result of a DUI, though they never tried to tell us it was something new. We had enough people die for real that it wasn't necessary. Though they did put on this ridiculous dramatization about drinking while driving just before prom. It was absurd.

To be honest, I don't know how I feel about what these people did. Yeah, they were lied to, possibly betrayed. I'd have to know a substantial bit more to really make a judgment. On a whole, I'm all for people working their hardest to keep intoxicated dumb fucks from hauling around 4,000 pound hunks of metal at high speeds. However, this might have been a bit much.

Hell, though. At least they're being creative.