Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:58AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Supreme Court Upholds Second Amendment
PostPosted: Thu 06-26-2008 8:47AM 
Captain

Source: Fidelity
For the first time in its history the Supreme Court ruled this morning to uphold the individual right to keep and bear arms.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372041,00.html

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Last edited by mwsgh6 on Thu 06-26-2008 4:00PM, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Supreme Court Upholds Second Amendment
PostPosted: Thu 06-26-2008 9:30AM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
mwsgh6 wrote:
For the first time in it history the Supreme Court ruled this morning to uphold the individual right to keep and bear arms.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372041,00.html

Also the first time in history that the Supreme Court actually made a ruling on the Second Amendment.

And they couldn't have been more half-assed about it if they tried.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Thu 06-26-2008 6:37PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
blat-blat mothafucka

PostPosted: Fri 06-27-2008 8:55PM 
Drowning

sad that it was a 5-4 vote

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 06-29-2008 2:14AM 
Colonel

So what, now DC is going to have a lot of very small individual "well-regulated militias" eh? You know, in case King George and his cronies sneak up the Potomac, as was the fear when the amendment was made in 1791. Or in case the national government takes a poke at our state's sovereignty.

I guess this will inspire the gun lobby to pump some more cash into the republicans' pockets. yay.

PostPosted: Sun 06-29-2008 8:52AM 
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun 06-29-2008 9:18AM 
Colonel

nice

PostPosted: Sun 06-29-2008 2:05PM 
bertowned
bertowned

calculusninja wrote:
So what, now DC is going to have a lot of very small individual "well-regulated militias" eh? You know, in case King George and his cronies sneak up the Potomac, as was the fear when the amendment was made in 1791. Or in case the national government takes a poke at our state's sovereignty.

I guess this will inspire the gun lobby to pump some more cash into the republicans' pockets. yay.

doesnt matter what may have been one of the reasons for the ammendment. the fact is its in the bill of rights. the constitution is the highest law. it was designed to be a long lasting document, but it is adaptable. if you have a problem with the supreme court's decision to uphold the law, bitching wont help you. get the law changed if you dont like it.

and for the record. there's a reason that the congress didn't just pass a "don't worry your guns are fine" Act of 17xx, and instead went with a more permanent means - they wanted Americans to be self reliant and able to protect themselves: from eachother, and their government. its that whole "freedom" thing. as long as you're not impeding anyone else's life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness - you're cool.

PostPosted: Sun 06-29-2008 6:45PM 
Colonel

Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

amd2800barton wrote:
the fact is its in the bill of rights. the constitution is the highest law. it was designed to be a long lasting document, but it is adaptable. if you have a problem with the supreme court's decision to uphold the law, bitching wont help you. get the law changed if you dont like it.

Oh, I understand your confusion now. You think the right for civilians to carry handguns is in the constitution. I'd be fine with it if it actually were. The Supreme Court didn't uphold anything. Precedents from courts of years past have interpreted the amendment to not apply to civilian weapon possession. The conservatives on the court sneaked out a 5-4 simple majority to strike down the DC law. They upheld their own spin on the document's wording, tis all.

Quote:
as long as you're not impeding anyone else's life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness - you're cool.

That line of logic doesn't apply because the ruling only applies to handguns. You can be peaceful with the hundred other types of weaponry not allowed by law, so what? Should we all walk around with bazookas as long as we play nice?

They also struck down the law saying handguns must have trigger locks. Seriously, what?

Justice Stephen Breyer wrote:
"There simply is no untouchable constitutional right guaranteed by the Second Amendment to keep loaded handguns in the house in crime-ridden urban areas.”

PostPosted: Mon 06-30-2008 8:37AM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
Calculusninja, have you actually read the majority opinion?

No, you haven't. Because if you had, you wouldn't be blathering on about this nonsense.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Mon 06-30-2008 3:44PM 
Colonel

The Supreme Court as it stands does not appear to me as the end-all authority on the law that it should be. Sure, it is defined in such a way, but the bench has become ridiculously politicized. And surprise surprise that a very conservative Justice appointed by Reagan formed the majority opinion, and two of Bush's appointees joined him.

The 5-4 split of conservatives and liberals does not speak "Constitutional authority" to me. It speaks of personal political opinion on both sides and I don't buy it. I read the portion of the majority opinion related to the wording of the document. It's not convincing enough to throw out and overturn precedents for. And the disagreement on the part of 4 Justices, DC Petitioners, and the DC Mayor only furthers this doubt.

My point is that the ruling is suspect. Yes, I know you guys favor guns, so feel free to dismiss my opinion as nonsense (haha :) ) and go back to sleep, but I think we all can agree that the Constitution is quite unclear in its intentions.

I found this somewhere. The 2nd amendment should read:

Quote:
"The right of the people to keep but not necessarily bear some but not all kinds of arms in public (and certainly not in all public spaces) shall not be infringed, though by that we don't mean that guns can't be regulated in many ways."

PostPosted: Mon 06-30-2008 5:46PM 
Lieutenant

Source: RC I
http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=68352

This explains it better then I can, your wrong calc.

PostPosted: Mon 06-30-2008 7:52PM 
Brigadier General

calculusninja wrote:
but I think we all can agree that the Constitution is quite unclear in its intentions.

No, I think it's pretty clear. If the 2nd were talking about a collective right, it would be the only mention of a collective right among the first 10. Every amendment in the first 10 either asserts individual rights, or places a limit on the government power.

This, of course, completely ignores the 9th and 10th, which the founders intended to be a "catch all" but have since been turned into "catch very little".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 06-30-2008 8:12PM 
Colonel

Uh, battalion, did you read that? It's some libertarian complaining that Scalia placed limits on this newfound interpretation of the 2nd amendment. For anarchists I suppose this is a "non-defeat and not a victory" as the article implies. Of course he did!

If he had said that the 2nd amendment allows for all arms and no licensing (something I assume libertarians want in theory?) people would crap themselves. It's the 21st century folks, not the wild west.

article wrote:
It is true that Heller is not, in itself, a defeat for freedom-loving forces who do not wish to see law-abiding citizens forcibly disarmed by the state. Had the decision gone the other way – and it is deeply troubling that four justices saw fit to invent a fictitious collective rights interpretation – then Heller would have been a terrible defeat for those who still believe the U.S. Constitution is more than just another piece of paper. (it goes on and on...)

The four justices it speaks of were only drawing upon every other supreme court ruling in history. Meh, whatever. And zkissane, why mention the militia at all then? The militia is most certainly a collective entity, no?

I love debating on forums :D

PostPosted: Mon 06-30-2008 10:44PM 
Captain

And while we are on the subject, the Texas man who was protecting his property and family from illegal aliens is acquitted of all charges.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/30/bur ... topstories

And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth unto Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.