Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 10:21AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hurricane Gustav
PostPosted: Mon 09-01-2008 1:36PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Off Campus
So, it looks like Gustav died down quite a bit before making landfall. New Orleans may live to see another day. Unless something crazy happens, the New Orleans mayor is probably going to catch all kinds of flak for forcing an evacuation when it now looks unnecessary. It was the right move, but people are stupid, and I anticipate it to show in the next couple of days. We shall see...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Gustav
PostPosted: Mon 09-01-2008 1:55PM 
Major

wouldn't surprise me... and it's kinda obvious they're not the smartest, city below sea level, i'd be expecting to have a flood... but everyone acts surprised when it happens. Another thing, I know it really sucks when people lose their houses and stuff to disasters, but at the same time, people should be prepared for things like that the best way they can be. For example, if you live in an earthquake-prone area, you should build your home with that in mind. If you live in a huge forest, better be ready for a forest fire. If you live in the midwest, be ready for a tornado now and then. And if you live on the coast.. you're obviously going to have a hurricane now and then, that's part of the risk you take when choosing to live in that area. Again, it's really bad when people lose everything from these types of things, and I think we should help them out. But I also think in some cases it is taken too far. Some dumbass builds a big house on the coast and it gets washed away every couple years.. That should be his own responsibility, not taxpayers. How do you distinguish between that and someone that really needs the help though?

PostPosted: Mon 09-01-2008 4:45PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Agreed - it's not the government's fault (or responsibility) to provide your home owner's insurance for you, or to make natural disasters just go away if you don't have that insurance.

What IS the governments fault is saying "this is a safe zone - come here and you'll be fine - we promise we'll take care of you" (superdome etc) and then totally NOT doing that. If you are going to promise to do that then do it right - but the people should not EXPECT it to be done. There were a number of fuckups by the government before/after/during katrina, some perceived some real.

PostPosted: Wed 09-03-2008 11:55AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
I doubt mayor Nagin will catch any flak for anything like that. He piddled around before Katrina while other mayors in other states were calling FEMA and the National Guard for help, and ended up just barricading himself in a hotel with a month's worth of steak and several generators, while letting the buses that could have been used for evacuation just sit there and eventually get flooded. Then, he decreed that there would be no guns in the city, commanded cops to take guns from little old ladies and law-abiding families who were protecting not only their own homes but the homes of their neighbors who had evacuated. Then he blamed everything on Bush, and the media went with it.

No, he won't catch any flak.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Wed 09-03-2008 12:08PM 
Major

yeah, it appears Katrina is still fresh in everyone's mind so the media is praising the evacuation and all even though it didn't turn out to be as serious as it might have been. I'm glad to see this happening... more the attitude people should take, rather than bitch about being inconvenienced when your safety could be at risk.

PostPosted: Mon 09-08-2008 7:48PM 
pwned by heretic
pwned by heretic

Tom Green wrote:
wouldn't surprise me... and it's kinda obvious they're not the smartest, city below sea level, i'd be expecting to have a flood... but everyone acts surprised when it happens. Another thing, I know it really sucks when people lose their houses and stuff to disasters, but at the same time, people should be prepared for things like that the best way they can be. For example, if you live in an earthquake-prone area, you should build your home with that in mind. If you live in a huge forest, better be ready for a forest fire. If you live in the midwest, be ready for a tornado now and then. And if you live on the coast.. you're obviously going to have a hurricane now and then, that's part of the risk you take when choosing to live in that area. Again, it's really bad when people lose everything from these types of things, and I think we should help them out. But I also think in some cases it is taken too far. Some dumbass builds a big house on the coast and it gets washed away every couple years.. That should be his own responsibility, not taxpayers. How do you distinguish between that and someone that really needs the help though?

It really depends on whether the Federal Government has said that living there is dangerous or safe. If you move into a city, pay taxes for police, you expect to not be shot at every year. I think the same goes for a hurricane. You expect that your taxes will go towards protecting you from a hurricane/letting you know if you need to head out.

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 1:01AM 
bertowned
bertowned

I'm not sure we pay taxes to protect us from acts of god.

PostPosted: Tue 09-09-2008 7:50AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
amd2800barton wrote:
I'm not sure we pay taxes to protect us from completely forseeable and well-known frequent acts of god.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif