Cthulhu 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
BOB BARR OMG WHOOOO 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 27
 Post subject: Presidential Debate
PostPosted: Fri 09-26-2008 8:55PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
So for those of you who were out drinking and missed it, there was a presidential debate tonight. (Once they post some persistent links to the videos or the transcript, I'll post them.) What did you guys think so far?

My initial thoughts. Why in the HELL can't they find a moderator with some backbone. jim Lehrer might be impartial, and a decent interviewer, but he let these two run overtime on every question and talk over top of one another. Abysmal. Though to his credit, he did hammer on one question in particular.

That question was, "Ok, so you both want to spend 700 billion dollars on a financial rescue package. In addition, your tax revenues will be falling since nobody's working and nobody's spending. What of these campaign promises are you going to have to GIVE UP, in order to cover this rescue package?" What was scary is not five minutes earlier they were talking about how horrible it was to waste $18 billion dollars of taxpayer money on porkbarrel projects. But neither of them had a suitable answer, a credible answer on what to fix. They weren't planning on changing a THING. Obama kept referencing the multitude of projects he had to have, and McCain kept talking about putting up power plants. Obama basically stopped short of "I don't know." McCain at least came up with, "well maybe we should have an across-the-board spending freeze", but you could tell it was off-the-cuff.

Also, apparently October 2 or 3 (it's Monday night) there will be a vice-prez debate at Wash U STL. Anybody know where you can get tix?

* (in case anybody asks, Bob Barr is the Libertarian candidate for President. Not Ron Paul. Bob Barr. I personally like the guy, but he in no way has the name-brand credibility that Ron Paul had from the Republican primary. Had Paul gone Libertarian after the primary I think the Libertarians could make a decent run at getting electoral votes for the first time ever. With Bob Barr, he may get 5%.)

Post subject: Re: Presidential Debate
PostPosted: Fri 09-26-2008 9:13PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
I refuse to vote unless there is an options stating "Neither candidate gained nor lost any ground"

It was a pretty laid back debate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 09-27-2008 7:49AM 
Major General

Seems like the general consensus across the polls and media pundits is that Obama won. I didn't watch all of it, and I've been wanting Obama to win since before he even announced he was running, so I can't give an unbiased response.

The VP debate is going to be fun. Joe Biden is going to rip Ms. I Can See Russia From Alaska, Therefore I'm A Foreign Policy Expert to shreds.

PostPosted: Sat 09-27-2008 8:21AM 
Brigadier General

devil wrote:
Seems like the general consensus across the polls and media pundits is that Obama won. I didn't watch all of it, and I've been wanting Obama to win since before he even announced he was running, so I can't give an unbiased response.

The VP debate is going to be fun. Joe Biden is going to rip Ms. I Can See Russia From Alaska, Therefore I'm A Foreign Policy Expert to shreds.

The only thing I could see that gave Obama a slight advantage is that McCain seemed to go off on tangents and tell stories that I wasn't quite sure how they related to the point he was making. He wanted to let people know that he was like 100 years old and had personally talked to every elected official and leader around the world so he was name dropping left and right. I think ultimately he thought it would help him, but I sortof stopped paying attention because he was ultimately boring to me.

Perhaps another Obama plus is that he interrupted McCain more to basically say a few times. "John, we know that just isn't true." Which admittedly I didn't know whether it was true or not, but it seems McCain didn't get away with spinning things like Obama was maybe able to.

In closing I would like to point out that even though Obama had these strong moments and stood up for himself well, he seemed to rush his points and when he started stuttering he immediately fell back on prepared cookie-cutter responses about McCain being more of the same, which I am not sure if people really believe anymore.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 09-27-2008 10:22AM 
Drowning

I think the next 4 years are going to suck immensely. They are both liberal as hell.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 09-27-2008 11:17AM 
Captain

LostBoyz wrote:
I think the next 4 years are going to suck immensely. They are both liberal as hell.

I tend to agree, neither is bringing a whole lot to the table that would be beneficial to the country at this time. I bet the republicans are wishing they had went with Romney now that the economy is all of a sudden a pertinent issue.

PostPosted: Mon 10-20-2008 2:37PM 
Corporal

Source: HSS Building
Omg, people care about politics?? No way :)