Source: Fidelity
http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=155175&catid=3

I smell something fishy.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BJC wants to inject all employees
PostPosted: Thu 10-23-2008 11:38AM 
Sergeant

they're prob just putting tracking devices in them, no big deal.

on the serious side, j/ wear a mask if you are that against the flu shot. sure there are problems with it, but nothing is perfect especially with diseases. and god forbid a hospital tries to makes its employees and patients safe...even if the employees dont come in contact with patients, its still a precautionary step

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 10-23-2008 12:03PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

when that precautionary step has a chance of killing or making severely ill 1/1000th of their employees (26, i guess), it seems to lose its steam.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 10-23-2008 12:14PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
mjkrk9 wrote:
wear a mask if you are that against the flu shot

They are being forced to get the shot, so they can't just choose to wear the mask.

Quote:
and god forbid a hospital tries to makes its employees and patients safe

Then why let the general public walk around the hospital without giving them a flu shot?

Quote:
...even if the employees dont come in contact with patients, its still a precautionary step

So doctors (that work directly with the patients) don't have to get the shot, while office works who have seen patients maybe twice in their career must get it or else.

Maybe it might make the place safer, but this is setting a trend that employers have a right to dictate what medication you must take isn't a good one. Maybe now it could be for "safety" but next up they'll start injecting employees with drugs that make them docile so they won't act out and unionize.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 10-23-2008 1:34PM 
Drowning

thats a little over-reactive

what the hospital is doing is a little extreme, but they cant exactly have half of their work force out on sick leave.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 10-23-2008 7:08PM 
Major General

Source: Wilson Library
Personally I don't see a problem with it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 12:37AM 
Colonel

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Hey you commies, stop trying to regulate business! So what if they want to implant a microchip in their employees? It's their choice to work there. Hell, if BJC tells them all to dress in tutus and dance the polka, well by god, it's okay by me. The market will decide, amirite?

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 1:29AM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
calculusninja wrote:
Hey you commies, stop trying to regulate business! So what if they want to implant a microchip in their employees? It's their choice to work there. Hell, if BJC tells them all to dress in tutus and dance the polka, well by god, it's okay by me. The market will decide, amirite?

your sarcasm is actually correct. The market would decide. There would be considerable negative backlash against said company. How does a hospital make money? Treating the sick. If they pay their employees to dress in tutus they wont make money (people would probably also stop coming to work). They go out of business. Aka - the market would decide.

And in the event that a company does something slightly more gray - like mandating microchip implants - its up to you to take a stand and LEAVE (or boycott) said company. If you want or expect the government to intervene at the office, don't act all surprised when they intervene at home. I never understand why people clamor for nationalized social healthcare and education, but decry media/internet censorship and wiretapping. Frankly the two groups go hand in hand. It's called BIG GOVERNMENT, and both Republicans and Democrats are sadly for it.

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 9:18AM 
Colonel

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Hospitals are kind of a gray area. The ability to choose a hospital is somewhat limited in many circumstances. If I needed urgent medical care I'm not going to sit and comparison shop unless there is a damn good reason to believe one is a butcher shop over the other. So I don't see traditional competitive ideals working here as they would, say, with retail stores. This whole employee injection business would not affect much unless it becomes a huge deal.

Plus, you would be surprised at how many employees would don said tutus if their jobs were at stake.