Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue 03-19-2024 5:36AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: In your face St. Louis!
PostPosted: Tue 11-11-2008 9:44PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
el_lorenzo wrote:
benm wrote:
There is nothing I hate worse in this fucking town than driving down 10th street to Blitz's place at 20mph because multiple townies / handicap plates are in front of me. I have nothing against the handicapped or the elderly. But please, don't tell me you're fit to drive if you feel the need to ride the brake down a hill at 20mph in a 35mph zone.

People over the age of 60 are unfit to drive. Their reaction times are slower, but they still think they're going too fast. Also, they aren't as observational of where other vehicles are on the road, what the speed limit actually is, and most of this is because they can't see over the steering wheel

/off topic

I think 60 is a little early, but 65 is probably where every other year driver's tests should start and 70 where yearly tests would be good.

PostPosted: Tue 11-11-2008 10:53PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
el_lorenzo wrote:
benm wrote:
There is nothing I hate worse in this fucking town than driving down 10th street to Blitz's place at 20mph because multiple townies / handicap plates are in front of me. I have nothing against the handicapped or the elderly. But please, don't tell me you're fit to drive if you feel the need to ride the brake down a hill at 20mph in a 35mph zone.

People over the age of 60 are unfit to drive. Their reaction times are slower, but they still think they're going too fast. Also, they aren't as observational of where other vehicles are on the road, what the speed limit actually is, and most of this is because they can't see over the steering wheel

/off topic

My dad will be 60 next month and he's a good driver and has absolutely no problems with reaction times or things like that. And he can see over the wheel too. Hell, if you saw him, you would never believe that he's about to turn 60. He's healthy as can be and even though my mom and I pick on him all the time for turning 60, he looks young for his age. With people living well into their 90s, 60 isn't that old anymore.

I think around 70 is when we should start testing drivers every year. And, they need to be more strict at the DMV. I was getting my license renewed a few years ago, and there was a little old lady in front of me who kept getting things wrong on the eye exam, and the lady working at the DMV told her to try again. Sorry, but when you mow down some pedestrians in the street, there's no trying again. If you fail the eye exam, they should rip up your license on the spot and you have to find a ride home from the DMV.

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 12:00AM 
post whore
post whore

devil wrote:
el_lorenzo wrote:
benm wrote:

/off topic

My dad will be 60 next month and he's a good driver and has absolutely no problems with reaction times or things like that. And he can see over the wheel too. Hell, if you saw him, you would never believe that he's about to turn 60. He's healthy as can be and even though my mom and I pick on him all the time for turning 60, he looks young for his age. With people living well into their 90s, 60 isn't that old anymore.

I think around 70 is when we should start testing drivers every year. And, they need to be more strict at the DMV. I was getting my license renewed a few years ago, and there was a little old lady in front of me who kept getting things wrong on the eye exam, and the lady working at the DMV told her to try again. Sorry, but when you mow down some pedestrians in the street, there's no trying again. If you fail the eye exam, they should rip up your license on the spot and you have to find a ride home from the DMV.

It's definitely variable - that's why it's hard to pick a cutoff age. But, 18 seems pretty arbitrary of an age to become a "full" driver in Missouri, and 21 to drink, etc etc... We could find when old people start getting to old to drive reliably on average, then set that as the cutoff age - yeah, there will be cases on both sides, but we can get the majority of those that need to be off of the roads off the roads.

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 8:29AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

LostBoyz wrote:
or oklahoma

You can't speed in OK, otherwise the cops will nail your ass to the wall for anything over the speed limit: that's right, even 1 MPH over. That is why no one actually drives the speed limit, with the possible exception of the Interstates.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 9:17AM 
Major General

Source: Somewhere On Campus
the cops "nail your ass" in OK? Do you know this from personal experience SC?

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 10:02AM 
Brigadier General

Agentzak wrote:
In St. Louis most of the streets I drive on are multiple lanes so I don't notice old people, I just pass them. Here it's more apparent because many streets around here are only one lane.

Highway 100 between 44 and Manchester where it is 1 lane sucks when someone takes every 25mph curve at like 20mph.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 11:20AM 
post whore
post whore

ShadowCat38 wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:
or oklahoma

You can't speed in OK, otherwise the cops will nail your ass to the wall for anything over the speed limit: that's right, even 1 MPH over. That is why no one actually drives the speed limit, with the possible exception of the Interstates.

When I drove through OK, I don't remember seeing any cops, but I do remember this:

Tons of roadsigns that say "My daddy works here!", and tons of "Road work ahead in 10 miles" type of signs. There was never road work.

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 2:48PM 
Major

Source: RC II
When I drove from STL to OK all I saw were cows and their turnpike highway toll exits which we passed.

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 2:59PM 
post whore
post whore

Goran wrote:
When I drove from STL to OK all I saw were cows and their turnpike highway toll exits which we passed.

And red dirt, amirite?

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 6:06PM 
Major General

cmptrnrd16 wrote:
Agentzak wrote:
In St. Louis most of the streets I drive on are multiple lanes so I don't notice old people, I just pass them. Here it's more apparent because many streets around here are only one lane.

Highway 100 between 44 and Manchester where it is 1 lane sucks when someone takes every 25mph curve at like 20mph.

109 is the same way. But I always went that route because I believe the length of the 1 lane section is shorter than on 100

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 7:46PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

ShadowCat38 wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:
or oklahoma

And also they don't let anybody use radar detectors. In fact the police have radar detector detectors, and they'll pull your ass over for a radar detector.

So of course, the radar detector industry has come out with a radar detector detector detector. It tells you when the cops are using radar detector detectors.

No shit.

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 7:48PM 
Drowning

Source: EE Building
I thought VA was the only state where radar detectors were illegal

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 7:55PM 
Major General

LostBoyz wrote:

Yeah, as far as I know, VA (and DC, although they're not really a state) are the only states where they're illegal.

You might be thinking of radar jammers, which not only alert you when there's radar, they jam the signal so the cop doesn't get an accurate reading on the gun. Those might be illegal in all 50 states though

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 7:59PM 
Drowning

Source: EE Building
devil wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:

Yeah, as far as I know, VA (and DC, although they're not really a state) are the only states where they're illegal.

You might be thinking of radar jammers, which not only alert you when there's radar, they jam the signal so the cop doesn't get an accurate reading on the gun. Those might be illegal in all 50 states though

probably because they dont exist

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 11-12-2008 8:10PM 
Major General

LostBoyz wrote:
devil wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:

probably because they dont exist

I've definitely seen ads for them, whether they work or not is another discussion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next