Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 12:28AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bye Bye Circuit City... Goody's too!
PostPosted: Fri 01-16-2009 10:45AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Can't say it's been nice knowing you. Between your constant nagging floor reps and your high prices, I can't even begin to figure out why your in such bad shape. Now we'll get to see a national, GOING OUT OF BUSINESS sale that your having, that really won't be a sale at all, since we all saw what that meant 3 months ago with you an Linen'n Things.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/national/story ... 7&catid=28

They couldn't find a anyone to buy them out, so they're going entirely belly up in the US. 10 years from now, kids wont even have a clue as to what Circuit City even was :lol:

Also, Goody's Family Clothing filed for bankruptcy last week. They're there by Country Mart, they're doing the same thing. Makes me wonder what all is going to go in there, no one's taken the old Sam Goody building there yet and they've been gone for a while now.

Post subject: Re: Bye Bye Circuit City... Goody's too!
PostPosted: Fri 01-16-2009 11:24AM 
Major General

lulz (sorta)

I thought that's why there were those ppl standing out w/ "Goody's Everything Must Go" sale signs

PostPosted: Fri 01-16-2009 12:14PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Off Campus
Eh, kinda sucks since my brother works there, but I guess if you can't be competitive it's going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri 01-16-2009 12:49PM 
Colonel

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Good riddance. CC was worthless.

PostPosted: Fri 01-16-2009 3:07PM 
Brigadier General

I always liked CC better than Best Buy. They price match ad items, and stuff in their stores is always much easier to find. Also, I have found CC employees much more competent than Best Buy. Also, the CC that I went to was always cleaner and more organized than the BB next to it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 01-18-2009 7:12PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

cmptrnrd16 wrote:
I always liked CC better than Best Buy. They price match ad items, and stuff in their stores is always much easier to find. Also, I have found CC employees much more competent than Best Buy. Also, the CC that I went to was always cleaner and more organized than the BB next to it.

qft. If I had to choose between the two, I'd buy from CC way before Best Buy, which hasn't lived up to its name in about a decade.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-19-2009 4:33AM 
Major

Source: TJ South
I always found Best Buy to have a larger selection of items. Now, I'm not saying I would go buy a TV from them because their prices are crazy too, but if I had to have chosen to get a gift card from someone for one of them, I would've probably picked Best Buy. I would be better able to find something I wanted from Best Buy over Circuit City. Also, BB's Black Friday's are usually better too.

-6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 Ram
-eVGA GTX295 Dual-PCB Video Card
-Razer Barracuda 7.1 Sound Card
-8 HD's totaling 5820GB Storage
-Corsair 1000HX 1000W PSU

PostPosted: Mon 01-19-2009 7:14AM 
Major General

ShadowCat38 wrote:
cmptrnrd16 wrote:

qft. If I had to choose between the two, I'd buy from CC way before Best Buy, which hasn't lived up to its name in about a decade.

Ditto. I found BB and CC to both be about the same when it comes to pricing, but Best Buy always tries to push those damn warranties and Geek Squad services on everything you buy, whereas Circuit City doesn't, which makes it a slightly more enjoyable shopping experience.

PostPosted: Fri 01-23-2009 11:22AM 
Major

Later, Circuit City. Say hi to Venture for me.

PostPosted: Fri 01-23-2009 12:58PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
I went to the Goody's going-out-of-business sale. It appears that their strategy is to retain all of their merchandise and sell it with the building. Their sale prices were still 10-20% higher than JCPenny prices on men's clothing. They did have a decent deal on t-shirts, from $6-10 but they were all commie-chic or "stop global warming" or thung gangsta shirts. WTF.

I bought a pair of Reebok running shoes for $30. I stopped running because my dad ruined his knees running in cheap shoes. I'm going to pick it up again, and see if I can't drop the 30 pounds or so I need to.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Sun 01-25-2009 10:05PM 
Colonel

Source: TJ South
Duke of URL wrote:
Later, Circuit City. Say hi to Venture for me.

LOL I LIKE THINGS I REMEMBER

PostPosted: Tue 01-27-2009 7:39PM 
Colonel

Circuit City will be in good company at least, with Sharper Image and KB Toys which also recently started liquidating their stores.

The strong shall survive. I really don't feel sorry for the business owners that can't keep up in these lean times, but I do feel sorry for the employees that attach their well being to those businesses.

I don't exactly feel all warm and fuzzy to think of the mom-and-pop stores struggling through these hard times either, but it's a sign of changing times. People used to sit on their front porches to cool off, forcing neighbors to occasionally talk to each other. Air conditioning helped spur the death of the front porch. It's too bad but I personally wouldn't trade central air for anything. Mom-and-pop retailers provide more personalized service and better quality, but can't compete with the bix-box retailers and their wholesale prices and convenient hours. Sorry mom-and-pop (read: downtown Rolla) but in these tough times Rolla businesses like Wal-Mart and Lowes will beat out corner stores handily.

It will be depressing to see more and more empty stores in Rolla, but the city leaders aren't fighting the waves of change. They're trying to attract more big-box retailers that they know will be able to survive in a changing world. Maybe eventually Rolla will go the way of other towns and convert many of the downtown buildings to loft-type apartments to attract more people to the businesses that do weather this storm and jumpstart the heart of the city. With its convenient access to campus those apartments would be a hit with college students... maybe bring Rolla a bit more into the 21st century even?

</random tangent>

PostPosted: Tue 01-27-2009 8:18PM 
Major General

Patrick wrote:
It will be depressing to see more and more empty stores in Rolla, but the city leaders aren't fighting the waves of change. They're trying to attract more big-box retailers that they know will be able to survive in a changing world. Maybe eventually Rolla will go the way of other towns and convert many of the downtown buildings to loft-type apartments to attract more people to the businesses that do weather this storm and jumpstart the heart of the city. With its convenient access to campus those apartments would be a hit with college students... maybe bring Rolla a bit more into the 21st century even?

</random tangent>

The loft apartments in downtown St. Louis are extremely expensive compared to comparable regular apartments in the same area. If the same thing happened in Rolla, the apartments would not be a hit with college students.

PostPosted: Tue 01-27-2009 9:02PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
devil wrote:
The loft apartments in downtown St. Louis are extremely expensive compared to comparable regular apartments in the same area. If the same thing happened in Rolla, the apartments would not be a hit with college students.

Did you compare downtown STL to downtown Rolla?

PostPosted: Tue 01-27-2009 9:10PM 
Major General

devil wrote:
Patrick wrote:

</random tangent>

That's a completely different scenario. There's lots to do in downtown StL and it's at the center of activity. I truly doubt that if a few more mom & pop's close in Rolla, that there will be a big change in the amount of stuff to do. The only reason that they would be more expensive would be the proximity to campus, which is already a factor, and doesn't deter too many.

EDIT: Also, are you retarded?