Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue 03-19-2024 5:11AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Bye Bye Circuit City... Goody's too!
PostPosted: Tue 01-27-2009 9:23PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
I'm obviously not comparing STL to Rolla. I'm just stating that loft apartments in STL are significantly more expensive than their non-loft counterparts (which are still significantly more expensive than the best apartments in Rolla). A loft in STL can be $1000 a month, and a regular 1 bedroom just across the street can be $700, and they're both nice apartments. And I know there's a similar trend with lofts in other big cities. All I'm saying is that if they were to build loft apartments in downtown Rolla, and continue the same pricing structure that they use in large cities, pricing them more than equivalent regular apartments, it wouldn't be a huge hit with students, especially when there is plenty of cheaper housing close to campus.

PostPosted: Tue 01-27-2009 9:29PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
devil wrote:
I'm obviously not comparing STL to Rolla. I'm just stating that loft apartments in STL are significantly more expensive than their non-loft counterparts (which are still significantly more expensive than the best apartments in Rolla). A loft in STL can be $1000 a month, and a regular 1 bedroom just across the street can be $700, and they're both nice apartments. And I know there's a similar trend with lofts in other big cities. All I'm saying is that if they were to build loft apartments in downtown Rolla, and continue the same pricing structure that they use in large cities, pricing them more than equivalent regular apartments, it wouldn't be a huge hit with students, especially when there is plenty of cheaper housing close to campus.

That sir, is a comparison. And you're neglecting everything that is involved in pricing for "downtown" lofts. In STL, I'd hope you'd have numerous GOOD restaurants and many things to do, places to go, sites to see. In Rolla, you do not. I see what you're trying to say, but the argument is futile if you believe Rolla's "downtown" will have the same pricing structure as STL's (or any other big city's) pricing structure.

PostPosted: Tue 01-27-2009 9:47PM 
Major General

berto wrote:
devil wrote:

That sir, is a comparison. And you're neglecting everything that is involved in pricing for "downtown" lofts. In STL, I'd hope you'd have numerous GOOD restaurants and many things to do, places to go, sites to see. In Rolla, you do not. I see what you're trying to say, but the argument is futile if you believe Rolla's "downtown" will have the same pricing structure as STL's (or any other big city's) pricing structure.

There are already apartments in downtown STL, just as close to the same restaurants, places to go and sites to see that cost less than the lofts. The lofts aren't more because they're any closer, they're more because lofts are the latest trendy thing, and they charge more because they can.

If they built lofts in downtown Rolla, they wouldn't be any closer to things than the existing apartments downtown, yet they would likely be more expensive just because they're lofts, and for no other reason.

BTW, I'm not implying that Rolla lofts would be priced similar to STL lofts, if that's what you're thinking. The most expensive and nicest Rolla loft would probably still be cheaper than a shack in North City or some other ghetto part of St. Louis. They'd probably just keep up the trend of pricing the apartments higher than their non-loft counterparts in the same part of town.

PostPosted: Thu 01-29-2009 9:13AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fulton Hall
I guess I'll go ahead and throw this in here. There's already loft apartments in downtown Rolla. They are bargain-priced and generally full of foreign students. Why?

Because loft apartments are trendy in St. Louis, not in Rolla. Sort of like how lobster was considered the cockroach of the ocean and servants actually had a contract specifying the maximum amount of lobster they were to be fed, and how chicken wings used to be the discards that you could get from the butcher for nearly free, etc...

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Fri 01-30-2009 11:31AM 
Major General

Source: CompSci Building
the naked prophet wrote:
I guess I'll go ahead and throw this in here. There's already loft apartments in downtown Rolla.

Where at? Not doubting you, just curious.

PostPosted: Fri 01-30-2009 12:43PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Does the palace count? Does the palace even exist anymore now that Pikes got their addon?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 01-30-2009 11:35PM 
Colonel

Would this be an example? It looks like it meets the definition... technically.
http://www.inv-rel.com/inc/pmisc?pid=277

PostPosted: Sun 02-01-2009 8:20PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Patrick wrote:
Would this be an example? It looks like it meets the definition... technically.
http://www.inv-rel.com/inc/pmisc?pid=277

Yes, this and several others. One of the Turkish grad students I work with lives in one.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif