Source: MST-PSK Wireless
no thx

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Presidential Inauguration 2009
PostPosted: Tue 01-20-2009 10:20AM 
Colonel

Source: Sigma Nu
anyone got a good drinking game? ya know... drink everytime he says change or something

PostPosted: Tue 01-20-2009 10:38AM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
Here's the best I can find:

Take a small sip of whatever you've got if:
  • Obama mentions his wife or family by first name;
  • He mentions Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, or Harry Reid;
  • He mentions Martin Luther King, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, or his own numerous Kenyan relatives;
  • "Hope" or "Change" is uttered;
  • He talks about puppies.
Take a moderate sip, if:
  • He mentions John McCain or Sarah Palin (or winks);
  • He mentions some random American from a swing state who's up shit creek health- and economics-wise;
  • He uses the terms "crisis," "meltdown," "Depression," or "Ponzi";
Drink liberally, if:
  • He connects the departure of George W. Bush with the most well-known term from his home state: "Aloha";
  • "Allow me to express my feelings with this brief interlude of interpretive dance";
  • He quotes Dick Cheney;
  • He quotes Cheney and follows it up by clutching his heart and shouting "Here I come, 'Lizbeth! It's the big one!"
Go on a rampage, if:
  • Profanity is uttered;
  • Obama has the Rev. Rick Warren finish the speech for him in an act of bipartisanship;
  • He mentions that betting a dollar in Vegas that a black man would be sworn in as president in the same year the Arizona Cardinals went to the Super Bowl would make you a millionaire many times over.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 01-20-2009 11:43AM 
Drowning

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
A little early on a Tuesday for a drinking game

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 01-20-2009 11:48AM 
Colonel

Source: Sigma Nu
I just realized that, I guess I assumed it was like State of the Union and would be this evening.

PostPosted: Tue 01-20-2009 3:49PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
Pretty sweet Photosynths are starting to come up. Check them out.

http://photosynth.net/inauguration.aspx

PostPosted: Wed 01-21-2009 2:38PM 
Major General

BIG FUCKING RANT:

So, I had tickets to the inauguration. Real, tangible tickets given to me by my congresswoman for a standing section about 75 yards away from the ceremony (http://inaugural.senate.gov/documents/doc-2009-map.pdf, I had tickets to the purple standing section). We drove 15 hours from MO to get there on Sunday. We stayed at a hotel in Fredericksburg Sunday night and drove into D.C. on the 19th to pick up our tickets. There were even 3-4 hour lines just to pick up tickets that people had been confirmed for.

We drive back to Fredericksburg in the early evening to catch a 6:58 p.m. train that will arrive in D.C. about 8:30 p.m. We figured we would camp out at the D.C. Union Station until we decided to brave the cold and the lines. Well, for starters, our train was 3 hours late. We caught it at 10:00 p.m. and arrived in D.C. at about 11:15 p.m. Nonetheless, we were still in high spirits given the occasion and figured out everything would still work out for the best. Wrong.

After wandering the streets of D.C. hopping bars until about 2:00 a.m. (no line at our ticketing point at this time), we head back to Union Station to catch a few Z's. There were already a few thousand people doing what we were doing, so we huddled amongst the crowds in some chairs and caught a couple of hours of sleep (and got a picture with some sweet ass special ops snipers). About 5:00 a.m., we grabbed a bite to eat. The crowds were immense in Union Station at this point.

We waded our way outside and made it to our designated ticketing spot at about 6:20 a.m. As we were walking next down the line, we noticed police officers shouting at those who were cutting in line, and an overall sense of civility, so we were at least hopeful that order would be had. The line was about three quarter of a mile long when we got there, and we ended up in the 3rd street tunnel at the end. There were police officers checking our tickets as we got into the tunnel, so we knew we were in the right place. If I had to estimate, I'd say that there were about 5,000 people in front of us in line.

We were stuck in the tunnel from 6:45-ish until about 10:45. We moved about 2,000 feet in 4 hours. To give you an idea of the crowds, check out this video. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 1444130820

See that? That was our tunnel. I very roughly estimated that about 10-15,000 people got in line after we did. That tunnel line you see there was about a mile long. And that was only to get outside of the tunnel. Fortunately, we met some nice people from PA, OK, WA, and LA and passed the time alright. Everyone was excited about the day. Now, I'll make it clear that I'm not an Obama fanatic. I was present because of the what the day represented and the fact that I'd won the ticket "lottery" (only 1 in a very few were selected to have tickets). But there were certainly thousands of Obama-ites in our line. So, many chants of "Yes we can!" and "Obama!" along with some feeble attempts to do the wave kept at least some in high spirits.

During the latter part of our tunnel stay, there were a number of people starting to leave, claiming that there were no longer any policemen keeping order in the line (doubtful since there were tens of thousands of police officers and national guardsmen there) and that no one was being admitted to the gate. Being hopeful, we soldiered on in our line, moving forward extremely slowly.

When we made it out of the tunnel with only about 45 minutes to go until the ceremony started, the line picked up in ridiculous pace. What was once an ordered line was now a running mob. We filled the street from the building on the left across a 5 lane road to the buildings on the right. No policemen or volunteers in sight. None. What the fuck did we just stand in line for 4 hours for? Anyone could have joined the mob up top, and many did. Many more didn't even have tickets.

We eventually pushed our way through the thousands of people to make it to the general area of our gate. This is what we found. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 1444130820

Those barriers up? Yeah, that's where we were supposed to walk to pass through security. That mob started to get more and more pissed off. People were climbing the fence screaming at the cops. What was in the video was only the front of the line. Bear in mind that mile long tunnel crowd behind us you saw in the earlier video. So what the fuck was going on? We ended up talking to people that had been there since 4:30 in the morning. 4:30. They were virtually at the front of the line, and you know what, not once was our gate ever opened. Not once. So what the fuck were 20,000 ticketed people doing in line for up to 7 hours? Because it certainly wasn't getting entrance into the fucking event that we had tickets for. Eventually, at noon, with many in tears around us, my wife and I left. Or rather, pushed our way through the thousands of screaming people to head back to Union Station. We had a 2:30 p.m. train to catch so we could skip the crowds and drive back that night.

We rolled into town this morning at about 6:00 a.m. on virtually no sleep over the past few days, almost $1,000 of our money gone (that we really need, but decided to go because of the significance of the event), and nothing to show for it. What happened was a travesty. People traveled from all over the country to see that event. And it wasn't just our section. Blue gate had a similar situation, but only about 10,000 people there were locked out (only). At silver gate, the back one, almost 40,000 people were denied entrance. This was a failure of planning on a catastrophic scale, and I'm ashamed that it happened.

So, I'm looking for reimbursement. Anyone familiar with legal workings know if there's any chance for a case against the city or the Inauguration Committees? Or is my only course of action to write my congressmen and hope for the best? All I know is that I'm fucking tired and beyond pissed off. What was to be a memorable, historic event for me and my wife turned into the biggest disappointment of my life.

EDIT: Here's a map someone put up of the purple line for references sake.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 5404f42a62

Now, how in the fuck were that many people going to fit into that damn standing area.

PostPosted: Wed 01-21-2009 3:45PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
Sorry to hear about that, but I don't think you have much legal recourse.

That's why despite my wanting to see this in person, and the historic significance of it, and my support for Obama since the primaries began, I didn't even bother trying to get tickets. I had a much better view on TV. I can say I saw the inauguration, which is more than a lot of the people who went to DC can say.

PostPosted: Wed 01-21-2009 10:08PM 
Sergeant

Source: TJ South
Here is a satellite image of yesterday:

http://edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2009/44 ... satellite/

PostPosted: Wed 01-21-2009 10:46PM 
Major

Hey just out of curiosity does anyone know if Obama stumbling on the Oath was his mistake? Or did the chief justice mess it up? First impression, I thought it was Obama just didn't remember that long of a chunk of it, but then I heard the chief justice messed it up... I don't really care quite enough to research it myself....

PostPosted: Wed 01-21-2009 10:49PM 
Major General

Tom Green wrote:
Hey just out of curiosity does anyone know if Obama stumbling on the Oath was his mistake? Or did the chief justice mess it up? First impression, I thought it was Obama just didn't remember that long of a chunk of it, but then I heard the chief justice messed it up... I don't really care quite enough to research it myself....

Heard it was the Chief Justice that flubbed

PostPosted: Thu 01-22-2009 12:28AM 
Brigadier General

The Chief Justice wasn't using notes. The chief started off with six words but Obama started repeating after three words, which threw Roberts off causing him to put a word in before it should have come, then Obama looks at him funny, causing him to say it again correctly, but then Obama recites the incorrect version anyway.

They did it again Wednesday night just to make sure, however they didn't use the Bible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 01-22-2009 1:32AM 
Major General

I don't know why they redid it. According to the Constitution, he became president at noon on Tuesday whether he was being sworn in or taking a shit at that time. Seems like everyone was making a mountain out of a molehill.

PostPosted: Thu 01-22-2009 8:24AM 
Colonel

Tom Green wrote:

Transcript and more info here:
http://rawstory.com/news/2008/CNN_Rober ... _0120.html