Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue 03-19-2024 5:11AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Who the fuck is Joel and why is he fighting back?
PostPosted: Thu 02-05-2009 2:13PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
http://www.joelfightsback.com

in case you were wondering.

Post subject: Re: Who the fuck is Joel and why is he fighting back?
PostPosted: Thu 02-05-2009 5:08PM 
awesome yet humble

Source: Fidelity
I thought the RIAA dropped all cases with pirated music and was going for a different approach with this sort of stuff... Is this something different?

btw, the dude in the pic with the checkered vest looks like the older brother from rat race, the guy who pierced his own toungue.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Thu 02-05-2009 5:39PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Off Campus
el_lorenzo wrote:
I thought the RIAA dropped all cases with pirated music and was going for a different approach with this sort of stuff... Is this something different?

btw, the dude in the pic with the checkered vest looks like the older brother from rat race, the guy who pierced his own toungue.

Nope. They're not dropping current cases, they're supposedly just not pursuing new ones. Bullshit, I know.

Oh, and apparently I try to start arguments with every post, so uhh.....you're a homo lorenzo.

PostPosted: Thu 02-05-2009 6:14PM 
post whore
post whore

Source: VPN
I already told this to Berto, but Joel is retarded and he deserves the fee. Who the fuck uses Kazaa?

PostPosted: Thu 02-05-2009 7:38PM 

newbs.

PostPosted: Thu 02-05-2009 9:57PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
Kazaa or not, shit needs to be fixed. An independent corporation should not be governing law and the government should realize the punishment does not fit the crime == unconstitutional.

PostPosted: Fri 02-06-2009 1:02PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
Slashdot wrote:
"On December 23, 2008, the RIAA's Mitch Bainwol sent a letter to the Judiciary and Commerce Committees of both the House and Senate, falsely representing to them that the RIAA 'discontinued initiating new lawsuits in August.' A copy of the letter is online (PDF). In fact, as many of you already know, the RIAA brought hundreds of new lawsuits since August. See, e.g., these 40 or so cases which just represent some of the cases brought in December." Maybe they're just taking a broad view of the world "initiate."

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/sla ... article.pl

PostPosted: Fri 02-06-2009 2:44PM 
post whore
post whore

berto wrote:
Kazaa or not, shit needs to be fixed. An independent corporation should not be governing law and the government should realize the punishment does not fit the crime == unconstitutional.

The corporation isn't governing the law - they're protecting their rights as determined by the law. The real problem is corrupt politicians - we all know the RIAA/MPAA/Disney had paid off / lobbied our congresscritters to get things like the DMCA and copyright term extensions passed. It's no longer by the people for the people - it's by the corporations for the corporations... but that's only because the politicians let it be that way.

PostPosted: Fri 02-06-2009 3:43PM 
Brigadier General

benm wrote:
The corporation isn't governing the law - they're protecting their rights as determined by the law.

benm wrote:
The real problem is corrupt politicians - we all know the RIAA/MPAA/Disney had paid off / lobbied our congresscritters to get things like the DMCA and copyright term extensions passed.

That sounds like governing the law to me. Paying off to get your laws passed?

And the fines they are allowed to charge? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are governing the law.

PostPosted: Fri 02-06-2009 4:03PM 
post whore
post whore

berto wrote:
benm wrote:
The corporation isn't governing the law - they're protecting their rights as determined by the law.

benm wrote:
The real problem is corrupt politicians - we all know the RIAA/MPAA/Disney had paid off / lobbied our congresscritters to get things like the DMCA and copyright term extensions passed.

That sounds like governing the law to me. Paying off to get your laws passed?

And the fines they are allowed to charge? Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are governing the law.

Copyright existed before the RIAA, as did the punishments for infringing a copyright. Seems like the biggest thing they've lobbied for is the extension of copyright.

But it doesn't matter that they're lobbying - they should be allowed to. There's nothing wrong with that. I can give you $500 to kill someone (note: that is against the law, but lets pretend it isn't); it's up to you whether or not to do it. I assert that it's the politicians that are in the situation to either turn down the money or stop serving special interests...

The corps can be partially blamed, because without the lobbying, there wouldn't be corruption. But the main point still stands - corrupt politicians allowed this to happen.

PostPosted: Sat 02-07-2009 1:49AM 
bertowned
bertowned

At risk of sounding like the nutso bounty hunter from the end of Firefly, I'm going to propose this:

A guy walks into Best Buy and steals two CDs. He gets caught, prosecuted, and maybe even given jail time. After a couple years - that same man can literally be back in his old life as if the incident had never happened. It will take him a little while to get a comparable job again, but if he's not a total moron - it won't put his life more than a few years behind.

A mom downloads two CDs worth of songs on the internet. The RIAA harasses her, her family, and anyone who has ever known her. They destroy her credit rating, and humiliate her publicly. Then they hit her with the biggest lawsuit you can imagine. Going to court with her lawyers becomes her full time job. The case (which takes years of arduous and stressful litigation) ends with the mom owing hundreds of thousands of dollars (plus her own legal fees) that she has absolutely no way of paying. It would take her decades to pay off, and she still has a family to support. Her entire life is ruined by this.

Now here's where i sound like that bounty hunter: Does this seem fair to you? The laws in this country are so fucked up - a massive overhaul of everything from the patent & copyright laws to the justice system is needed.

PostPosted: Sat 02-07-2009 1:54AM 
post whore
post whore

amd2800barton wrote:
At risk of sounding like the nutso bounty hunter from the end of Firefly, I'm going to propose this:

A guy walks into Best Buy and steals two CDs. He gets caught, prosecuted, and maybe even given jail time. After a couple years - that same man can literally be back in his old life as if the incident had never happened. It will take him a little while to get a comparable job again, but if he's not a total moron - it won't put his life more than a few years behind.

A mom downloads two CDs worth of songs on the internet. The RIAA harasses her, her family, and anyone who has ever known her. They destroy her credit rating, and humiliate her publicly. Then they hit her with the biggest lawsuit you can imagine. Going to court with her lawyers becomes her full time job. The case (which takes years of arduous and stressful litigation) ends with the mom owing hundreds of thousands of dollars (plus her own legal fees) that she has absolutely no way of paying. It would take her decades to pay off, and she still has a family to support. Her entire life is ruined by this.

Now here's where i sound like that bounty hunter: Does this seem fair to you? The laws in this country are so fucked up - a massive overhaul of everything from the patent & copyright laws to the justice system is needed.

qft

PostPosted: Sat 02-07-2009 12:55PM 

benm wrote:
amd2800barton wrote:

qft

+1

PostPosted: Sat 02-07-2009 1:46PM 
Brigadier General

Just to play devils advocate, when you steal a CD you and maybe your close friends ridding in your car are going to listen to it. When you share (and sharing is really the important part here) a song online it is open to millions of people to access. So when the RIAA sues for damages done, they are using the fact that you have shared your $10 CD with (potentially) 300 million people to set their asking price for the settlement.

Plus look at who has jurisdiction over the two cases. You steal a CD and only your local county cares. You share a CD internationally and then it is a federal court issue. Let's be real and make some apples to apples comparisons.

Please note that I have not given any opinions on my stance on piracy or the associate punishments. I am simply pointing out that your argument is poorly structured and you haven't really given any evidence to support your claim to the fact that you think the punishment is unfair based on similar yet substantially different crimes.

Also who uses :!: :arrow: smilies ever?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 02-07-2009 4:37PM 
post whore
post whore

cmptrnrd16 wrote:
Just to play devils advocate, when you steal a CD you and maybe your close friends ridding in your car are going to listen to it. When you share (and sharing is really the important part here) a song online it is open to millions of people to access. So when the RIAA sues for damages done, they are using the fact that you have shared your $10 CD with (potentially) 300 million people to set their asking price for the settlement.

Plus look at who has jurisdiction over the two cases. You steal a CD and only your local county cares. You share a CD internationally and then it is a federal court issue. Let's be real and make some apples to apples comparisons.

Please note that I have not given any opinions on my stance on piracy or the associate punishments. I am simply pointing out that your argument is poorly structured and you haven't really given any evidence to support your claim to the fact that you think the punishment is unfair based on similar yet substantially different crimes.

Also who uses :!: :arrow: smilies ever?

Since when do we prosecute based on potential damages? Why don't we prosecute based on the number of people that actually downloaded the song from you? Because they can't get the actual figures. And it has been ruled that "making available" isn't enough to prosecute. So the RIAA somehow finds evidence that you're not just sharing, but actively uploading a file. But they don't know how many people you shared it with. It's not fair to automatically assume that you've shared it with millions of people - maybe after the people you share it with share it, and so on, then you'll hit a million people. But you're not responsible for what other people do...

When I get in a car wreck, I'm not penalized for potentially killing the other people or for potentially causing a 30 car pileup. I'm penalized for what *actually happened*.