* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:09AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Nobel Peace Prize
PostPosted: Fri 10-09-2009 1:36PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
has lost some value today.

Depending on how he does over the next 3-7 years may deem it warranted, but you don't give a prize for a 'vision' for someone who has spent less than a year in office so far, you give it to someone who has successfully done something and followed through.

Nobel Prize committee: Prophets or Political pawns?

Post subject: Re: Nobel Peace Prize
PostPosted: Fri 10-09-2009 2:10PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
It really lost its value to me when they gave Al Gore a Nobel Prize. But I agree - Obama is not deserving of a Nobel prize. I think he has the potential to earn one, but he hasn't yet. Really this just confirmed that the Nobel committee has political motivations influencing their selection process.

PostPosted: Fri 10-09-2009 8:10PM 
Brigadier General

Has he really really earned it? Nope.
Does it make sense? Nope.
Does it have to make sense? Nope.
Am I going to protest or disagree with the decision? Nope.

Look at the past winners of the peace prize. Yes there are some that truly deserved it (Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama) there are some choices that were like WTF? Who are they? Then you look them up and they did some little cute peacy stuff in some remote country. Yes they did promote peace but get real, the Salvation Army could do better than them and there was probably a much better choice that was making a bigger impact worldwide during that year but for some reason the prize went to the unknown for the sake of going to the unknown. It doesn't really take that much to win a peace prize, just promote peace. By replacing Bush, the world saw Obama as a bringer of peace since he sucks up to the world way more than his predecessor. Yes there may have been someone more deserving of it but this is one of those WTF? picks which so frequently happen in the peace prize area so I'll just be happy the rest of the world has overcame the hate america mentality enough to at least give a peace prize to one. It has Nobel attached so the prestige will always be there no matter what they do and this is expected of the peace prize from time to time. Now if someone else this year had solved the middle east problems and talked Iran and North Korea out of developing all nuclear technology, then I would have to change my stance but I don't think there was any such person. The literature prize is the same way, only to a lesser extent because neither category has real metrics to measure such an honor. The technical awards take some sort of contribution to earn. You can't just talk your way into it or give a speech to earn it.

If Gore had won the prize in chemistry for his work, I'd be upset. If Obama had won a technical award, I'd be even more upset because this year's technical winners did some pretty crafty work. If he had won the economics prize, I'd just be flat fucking pissed. They didn't announce that prize yet, so they might still make my day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 10-13-2009 6:46AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
Jimmy Carter.

Yassir Arafat.

Al Gore.

I'm honestly not surprised. Ahmadinejad may get the next one (this is not a joke).

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Wed 10-14-2009 1:29PM 
Major

the naked prophet wrote:
Jimmy Carter.

Yassir Arafat.

Al Gore.

I'm honestly not surprised. Ahmadinejad may get the next one (this is not a joke).

Why don't you think Carter deserved the NPP in '02?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Center :
* Observation of more than 69 elections in 27 countries
* Helping over 8 million small-scale farmers double or triple grain production in 15 African countries
* Creating avenues to peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Haiti, Liberia, North Korea, Sudan, and Uganda
* Reducing cases of Guinea worm disease worldwide from 3.5 million in 1986 to fewer than 25,000 in 2007
* Strengthening international standards for human rights and the voices of individuals defending those rights
* Advancing efforts to improve mental health care and diminish the stigma against people with mental illness
Not to mention his work with Habitat for Humanity.
If you're concerned with his book "Palestine Peace Not Apartheid", keep in mind it was published in '06.
Not liking Carter because of his presidency or current political views is fine, but I feel pretty confident in saying he deserved the award.

PostPosted: Thu 10-15-2009 10:46AM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST Wireless
tommytomtomtom wrote:
the naked prophet wrote:
Jimmy Carter.

Yassir Arafat.

Al Gore.

Why don't you think Carter deserved the NPP in '02?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carter_Center :
* Observation of more than 69 elections in 27 countries
* Helping over 8 million small-scale farmers double or triple grain production in 15 African countries
* Creating avenues to peace in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Haiti, Liberia, North Korea, Sudan, and Uganda
* Reducing cases of Guinea worm disease worldwide from 3.5 million in 1986 to fewer than 25,000 in 2007
* Strengthening international standards for human rights and the voices of individuals defending those rights
* Advancing efforts to improve mental health care and diminish the stigma against people with mental illness
Not to mention his work with Habitat for Humanity.
If you're concerned with his book "Palestine Peace Not Apartheid", keep in mind it was published in '06.
Not liking Carter because of his presidency or current political views is fine, but I feel pretty confident in saying he deserved the award.

I'm not saying that helping african farmers increase crop yield, or reducing guinea worm infections are a bad thing, but the rest of that is quite debatable.

Most of his work toward "peace" is toward the communist definition of peace, which is "absence of resistance to the spread of communism." Offering no resistance to ones enemies is not a peace worth achieving.

Though I admit he was about 500 times more worthy of winning it than Obama. I can see him actually being a contender for it, with his humanitarian work (even if some of it is politically motivated, and other of it is misdirected. Some of it actually was good.).

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif