Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sun 08-20-2017 9:22AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Thu 04-29-2010 4:58PM 
Offline
Major
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09-14-2007 3:47PM
Posts: 437
Location: Just behind your left shoulder

Source: Off Campus
Dear Employees:

As the CEO of this organization, I have resigned myself to the fact that Barrack Obama is our President and that our taxes and government fees will increase in a BIG way.

To compensate for these increases, our prices would have to increase by about 10%. But since we cannot increase our prices right now due to the dismal state of the economy, we will have to lay off sixty of our employees instead.

This has really been bothering me since I believe we are family here and I didn't know how to choose who would have to go.

So, this is what I did. I walked through our parking lots and found sixty 'Obama' bumper stickers on our employees' cars & have decided these folks will be the ones to let go. I can't think of a more fair way to approach this problem. They voted for change, so I gave it to them. I will see the rest of you at the annual company picnic.

THE BOSS :-)


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Thu 04-29-2010 5:15PM 
Offline
Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Tue 03-31-2009 8:53PM
Posts: 93

Source: Off Campus
Hah, nice one.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Fri 04-30-2010 12:28PM 
Offline
Captain
User avatar

Joined: Mon 11-17-2008 1:37PM
Posts: 179

Source: Fidelity
Perfectly legal too.

_________________
"I am your worst nightmare. I have a three-line phone, and nothing at all to do with my time."
--Dale Gribble


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Fri 04-30-2010 4:25PM 
Offline
Major
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09-03-2004 8:00PM
Posts: 438

Source: Off Campus
Or, they will use various tax shelters to hide millions. The CFO, CEO, and board members will then all get massive bonuses for their "creativity", and they will lay people off/cut benefits anyway. Do you really think that when potential profits are in the millions or billions a company will just take their marbles and go home? Why do you think that the tax code is so massive? Corporate interest have lobbied year in-year out for special treatment, deductions for this, tax credits for that. And when they don't get their way, they find all sorts of other clever ways to minimize their tax liabilities.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Fri 04-30-2010 7:26PM 
Offline
awesome yet humble
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08-04-2006 9:39AM
Posts: 1373
Location: Boston

Source: Off Campus
tommytomtomtom wrote:
Or, they will use various tax shelters to hide millions. The CFO, CEO, and board members will then all get massive bonuses for their "creativity", and they will lay people off/cut benefits anyway. Do you really think that when potential profits are in the millions or billions a company will just take their marbles and go home? Why do you think that the tax code is so massive? Corporate interest have lobbied year in-year out for special treatment, deductions for this, tax credits for that. And when they don't get their way, they find all sorts of other clever ways to minimize their tax liabilities.


HOORAY FOR AMERICA!

_________________
I'm just that freakin awesome.

And then, the monkey died.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Fri 04-30-2010 10:19PM 
Offline
Major
User avatar

Joined: Fri 09-14-2007 3:47PM
Posts: 437
Location: Just behind your left shoulder

Source: Off Campus
el_lorenzo wrote:
tommytomtomtom wrote:
Or, they will use various tax shelters to hide millions. The CFO, CEO, and board members will then all get massive bonuses for their "creativity", and they will lay people off/cut benefits anyway. Do you really think that when potential profits are in the millions or billions a company will just take their marbles and go home? Why do you think that the tax code is so massive? Corporate interest have lobbied year in-year out for special treatment, deductions for this, tax credits for that. And when they don't get their way, they find all sorts of other clever ways to minimize their tax liabilities.


HOORAY FOR AMERICA!

stfu and get back on your own side of the fence.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Mon 05-10-2010 10:16AM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Fri 01-24-2003 7:13PM
Posts: 1652
Location: down the hill

Source: Fulton Hall
tommytomtomtom wrote:
Or, they will use various tax shelters to hide millions. The CFO, CEO, and board members will then all get massive bonuses for their "creativity", and they will lay people off/cut benefits anyway. Do you really think that when potential profits are in the millions or billions a company will just take their marbles and go home? Why do you think that the tax code is so massive? Corporate interest have lobbied year in-year out for special treatment, deductions for this, tax credits for that. And when they don't get their way, they find all sorts of other clever ways to minimize their tax liabilities.




And corporate interests bought themselves a president from Chicago to protect their profits.




In an actual free-market economy (as opposed to a semi-socialist economy where the government protects certain companies from competition and rewards them with tax money for their financial support), a company which gives millions to its CEOs in a bad economy would go out of business because the competition would use those millions to give price cuts, which would take all the market share away from the greedy CEO's business.

_________________
heretic^ stars as Samuel Jackson in the summer's newest thriller: Owls on a Forum!

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Mon 05-10-2010 7:56PM 
Offline
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09-16-2009 6:52AM
Posts: 608
Location: in your 802.11g stealing your internetz

Source: Off Campus
the naked prophet wrote:
a company which gives millions to its CEOs in a bad economy would go out of business because the competition would use those millions to give price cuts, which would take all the market share away from the greedy CEO's business.


it is typical of liberals to point the finger at the "bad CEO", but what they don't realize is again, by increasing regulation we move away from a free market, and remove the market's natural force to snuff that shit out, so really, liberal economic policies cause the "bad CEO" in the first place.

also, hasn't it ever occurred to anyone that being the head of a company that makes $20 billion a year in revenue might warrant a pretty high salary? and even if you don't think so, who the fuck are you to say what another man can or can't earn?

_________________
Queue42 - Advanced Direct Connect over SSL
Preconfigured Client -- 64 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Preconfigured Client -- 32 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Tue 05-11-2010 7:01AM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Fri 01-24-2003 7:13PM
Posts: 1652
Location: down the hill

Source: Fidelity
zeroluck wrote:
also, hasn't it ever occurred to anyone that being the head of a company that makes $20 billion a year in revenue might warrant a pretty high salary? and even if you don't think so, who the fuck are you to say what another man can or can't earn?




Just because the CEO who makes millions and millions of dollars earns that money by providing a good or service at a reasonable price to millions of people, and provides a job to millions more people, not to mention spends millions of dollars on things that other people have jobs to provide to him...

Whereas if the government takes those millions of dollars, most of it goes to pay bureaucrats whose only job is to sit in an office and take away people's money.

_________________
heretic^ stars as Samuel Jackson in the summer's newest thriller: Owls on a Forum!

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Thu 05-13-2010 9:32AM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sat 10-18-2003 10:26PM
Posts: 2954
Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Off Campus
Real CEOs get paid in stock options. If they were smart, the entire executive board would be paid solely in stock options.

_________________
It's still UMR to me, dammit.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Mon 05-17-2010 5:11PM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Fri 01-24-2003 7:13PM
Posts: 1652
Location: down the hill

Source: Fidelity
bagvwf wrote:
Real CEOs get paid in stock options. If they were smart, the entire executive board would be paid solely in stock options.


Except if that's the case, they'll dump the stocks before trouble shows. Now, if they got paid a living wage and anything above that was in stocks which can't be sold for 10 years, they'd have a good incentive to keep the company running and running well, not to mention incentive to help pick a good successor.

Of course, that's something for the shareholders to vote on, not for the government to dictate.

_________________
heretic^ stars as Samuel Jackson in the summer's newest thriller: Owls on a Forum!

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Wed 06-02-2010 1:55PM 
Offline
Sergeant

Joined: Wed 08-26-2009 11:05PM
Posts: 24

Source: Off Campus
zeroluck wrote:
the naked prophet wrote:
a company which gives millions to its CEOs in a bad economy would go out of business because the competition would use those millions to give price cuts, which would take all the market share away from the greedy CEO's business.


it is typical of liberals to point the finger at the "bad CEO", but what they don't realize is again, by increasing regulation we move away from a free market, and remove the market's natural force to snuff that shit out, so really, liberal economic policies cause the "bad CEO" in the first place.

also, hasn't it ever occurred to anyone that being the head of a company that makes $20 billion a year in revenue might warrant a pretty high salary? and even if you don't think so, who the fuck are you to say what another man can or can't earn?

The markets normal audibility? Look at the last time we had Laisse Faire Capitalism, (late 1800s). The Robber Barons and the monopolies had hold on everything. The market could not fix itself due to inability to find a competitor AND the fact the monopolies were cheaper. The companies could do whatever they wanted because they had complete control of their market(s).


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Thu 06-03-2010 12:20PM 
Offline
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09-16-2009 6:52AM
Posts: 608
Location: in your 802.11g stealing your internetz

Source: IT Dept
CaptainCard wrote:
Some liberal shit


go move to greece

_________________
Queue42 - Advanced Direct Connect over SSL
Preconfigured Client -- 64 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Preconfigured Client -- 32 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Fri 06-04-2010 8:56AM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Fri 01-24-2003 7:13PM
Posts: 1652
Location: down the hill

Source: Fulton Hall
CaptainCard wrote:
The markets normal audibility? Look at the last time we had Laisse Faire Capitalism, (late 1800s). The Robber Barons and the monopolies had hold on everything. The market could not fix itself due to inability to find a competitor AND the fact the monopolies were cheaper. The companies could do whatever they wanted because they had complete control of their market(s).



Even if we were to take your word for the way it was back then (which is dubious), today things are different.

In the 1800s both travel and information were severely limited. Today not only can you drive 100 miles to find a better/cheaper/competing store, you can order just about anything off of the internet. And you can find out everything you might want to know about the available competition to any particular company.

Don't think there's enough competition? Start your own store. You say Wal-Mart sells everything cheaper than you possibly could? Sell something they don't sell - used items, high-end items, products/services that complement the cheap stuff you get at Wal-Mart or take advantage of the high traffic near a Wal-Mart (in case you didn't know, many small businesses love Wal-Mart because of the high traffic - the ones who don't love Wal-Mart are the ones trying to directly compete against that model of efficiency and bargaining power).



Speaking of "Robber Barons," do you know what a Robber Baron does? A robber baron is part of the Feudal power structure, in which subjects are not free (and not called citizens) and cannot own property, only rent it from the robber baron. A robber baron steals a large percentage of the subjects income in return for "protection," ostensibly from other robber barons. But like a mob protection racket, the only protection it buys is from the robber baron who will throw the subjects in prison if they refuse to pay. Oh, and only the robber baron's guards are allowed to be armed or to use any type of force.

Yeah, it sure sounds like those Robber Barons were running the monopolies back in the 1800s... wait, no, that sounds more like the government.

Anyway, it's a good thing we've got more government regulation on the health care industry now that the free market ruined it... well, the sort-of-free market... okay, the government enforced monopolies (or oligopolies) within each state and actively prevented any sort of competition, but that's the free market's fault anyway, right? No, it's Bush's fault. Or Halliburton. No, Halliburton was the hurricane machine. Damn, you liberals are confusing to follow.

_________________
heretic^ stars as Samuel Jackson in the summer's newest thriller: Owls on a Forum!

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Clever corporate layoff strategy
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2010 6:30PM 
Offline
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09-16-2009 6:52AM
Posts: 608
Location: in your 802.11g stealing your internetz

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
the naked prophet wrote:
Anyway, it's a good thing we've got more government regulation on the health care industry now that the free market ruined it... well, the sort-of-free market... okay, the government enforced monopolies (or oligopolies) within each state and actively prevented any sort of competition, but that's the free market's fault anyway, right? No, it's Bush's fault. Or Halliburton. No, Halliburton was the hurricane machine. Damn, you liberals are confusing to follow.


Q * F * T

the only thing that can save this country now is a paper shredder

_________________
Queue42 - Advanced Direct Connect over SSL
Preconfigured Client -- 64 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Preconfigured Client -- 32 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group