* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:41PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Abortion Advocates Are Killing Themselves Off
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 11:24AM 

Source: Somewhere
An interesting read for anyone with an opinion about abortion:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005277

This is not meant to start a fight, I just thought that this is an editorial informed people should read about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 12:16PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
you know, I was hesitant to read it...but I did anyway and it is a rather interesting way to look at things

Post subject: Re: Abortion Advocates Are Killing Themselves Off
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 12:20PM 
Major

Source: Delta Tau Delta
Anonymous wrote:
An interesting read for anyone with an opinion about abortion:

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005277

This is not meant to start a fight, I just thought that this is an editorial informed people should read about.

That's an interesting angle on the subject.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 1:40PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Except a number of "abortion advocates" wouldn't consider having their own child aborted, but instead believe the choice should be left upto the individual and not the institution.

"I'll attract them with my human call.... 'I'm so wasted, I'm so wasted!'" - Dryad, Night Elf, Warcraft III Reign of Chaos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 06-28-2004 2:53PM 
Major

i think this is one of the most stupid and to me, a funny way of looking at the issue... how many victims of rape and other abuse will not go through with an abortion when told 'you're killing a potential democrat'. i wouldn't give a rat's ass.

the article says "
There are 19,748,000 Democrats who are not with us today. (49.37 percent of 40 million).
There are 13,900,000 Republican who are not with us today. (34.75 percent of 40 million).
By comparison, then, the Democrats have lost 5,848,000 more voters than the Republicans have."

i know there's one of hose fallacy things involved here, or not. but if we start counting all missing americans, i.e. through wars, drugs, diseases. i'm sure you could make any case you want. if republican's are traditionally more patriotic then they are more likely to go fight overseas, i'm going to say the republicans are killing them selves off. i didn't read the whole thing, because this perspective just isn't a valid/realistic one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 1:32AM 

I'm pro-abortion now! Hooray for Republicans!

What do you have to say to THAT, Capella? (Too bad she isn't here right now!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 2:49PM 

Quote:
how many victims of rape and other abuse will not go through with an abortion when told 'you're killing a potential democrat'

The facts are that abortions resulting from rape and other abuse are statistically insignificant (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904509.html). Ideologically, you may still support abortion, but it is stubbornheaded and intellectually dishonest to pretend that abortion does not affect the number of liberals out there. The only question is how much of an effect there really is.
Conversely, the hispanic population is growing rapidly in the U.S. Part of this is due to immigration, but the hispanic population has a birth rate that is about 50 percent larger than that of caucasians, African-Americans, or Asians (http://www.census.gov/prod/2001pubs/p20-543rv.pdf). You see politicians paying more and more attention to the hispanic vote every year, especially in national elections.
To pretend that demographics, in this case demographics influenced by abortion rates, do not affect politics is very narrow-minded. When 1 in 4 pregnancies end in abortion (http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904509.html), there will be a demographic impact, whether you support a woman's right to choose or not.

Quote:
i'm sure you could make any case you want.

You may be sure that a case could be made, but it hasn't yet. I think the data was, for the most part, straightforward in this case. Even if there exists data showing that, say, more Republicans die from gun violence, who cares? That is another issue altogether (and another interesting discussion besides).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 10:00PM 
Major

Anonymous wrote:
...You may be sure that a case could be made, but it hasn't yet. I think the data was, for the most part, straightforward in this case. Even if there exists data showing that, say, more Republicans die from gun violence, who cares? That is another issue altogether (and another interesting discussion besides).

cases hasn't been made because of a reason.. this perspective just isn't a good/realistic one, it just isn't going to matter anyone other than maybe campaign managers, and they won't be able to do much... you can't be serious in saying " Abortion Advocates Are Killing Themselves Off" because i don't think it will matter demographically unless many women that have abortions don't have a baby later in life, i would bet it's there's a good chance that almost every single woman that has an abortion has a baby later on in life. it's a choice to be pro-life or pro-choice or be republican or democrat. and people will keep making those choices, in any order.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06-30-2004 3:28PM 

You can't make the choice for the woman. It isn't right! It is wrong only if it is used for birth control. And then those dumb women should be put in a pen together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-01-2004 6:27PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
Did anybody hear something? I thought there was a noise.

#1 14131405 Pts, Stephen XX-Wiz-Hum-Mal-Cha killed by Pestilence on the Astral Pane (with the amulet). [143/275]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 07-02-2004 1:37AM 

Yes, it was the sound of a moron pumping air past his vocal chords by way of a keyboard and messing with FONT SETTINGS!!!!!!