Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 12:28PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Ivey Leagues Overrated
PostPosted: Thu 07-15-2004 8:26AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Off Campus
This column is about how and why affirmative action is ineffective, but that's not what I found interesting about it. The author claims that there is little difference in the earning potential of students who attend highly selective universities and those who attend less-selective universities.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,125729,00.html

Note: I would hyperlink the column, but I can't quite get it to work, and I don't feel like messing around with it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-15-2004 10:26AM 
Major

Source: MechE Building
so any kid out of MIT with the same grades as me, coming out of Rolla, will succeed in life equally......isn't he gonna get hired over me in most situations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-15-2004 11:12AM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
You'll have the same skills as them, and (in engineering at least) that's all that matters to most employers. All a university can do is give you tools, and in engineering fields the tools would be largely the same no matter where you went. There aren't any top-secret formulas you can only get at MIT. Employers know that whether you went to UMR or MIT, you have the capability to be a great engineer. Your personality, drive, creativity, and ability to work with others have little to do with what college you went to. In an employer's eyes, the university on the diploma doesn't matter as much as the person who earned it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-15-2004 2:54PM 

Source: Somewhere
Ivy Legue schools are overrated. I know a couple of people who have come back to UMR for Ph.D programs after attending Ivy Legue schools for their Masters. I have a friend at UCLA and another at Cornell (I'm not sure if those are Ivy Legue or not) and its been no picnic for them. As far as education, its comparable, but atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired. Here professors do know your name, our suicide rate is lower, etc. UMR is a good school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-15-2004 5:50PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: Christian Campus House
Cornell is Ivy League.

I actually thought (for all of about 5 minutes) about going there, but after realizing that even with my ACT what it was, I'd still be paying for half my education to go there, I quickly decided I didn't want to move to the Eastern Seaboard (which I hate with a passion), into the big city (which I also hate) to a big school (which I wouldn't like) to take classes with rich Ivy League daddy's boys (hate) that think they're better than some down-home Missouri boy who can kick them DOWN in a wood-chopping contest (yeah!! where's your big city NOW!!), and have the social stigma of being an Ivy Leaguer for the rest of my life (not to mention the loans).

I chose Rolla because it's exactly the size of school I want, in the size town I want, the right distance from home (I can come home more than twice a year), they're in state which is a BIG tuition savings, and they're one of the best at what they do.

Admittedly, Cornell has one heck of a FSAE team. Don't worry--we'll beat em down...

Besides, Rolla's almost Ivy League themselves. Just look at the north side of Norwood....:D