Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:48PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Do you really need to hear about these cases on an hourly basis?
Yes 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
No 92%  92%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: Is this truly newsworthy or just more useless filler?
PostPosted: Sat 07-24-2004 7:32AM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
There are several stories that I am competely tired of hearing anything about. First, The Kobe Bryant Case is not worthy of spending 10 minutes an hour reporting that nothing major happened 6 days a week. Look at the Jayson Williams case, he KILLED someone and didn't get this much attention. I don't even know what that case ended in, has it ended?

Also, I have similar gripes with the Laci Peterson and Lori whatever her name is from Utah (I think thats correct). What makes these kidnapping/lost people/murders so freaking important on a national scale? Some 15,000 or more people are killed every year in this country yet only a select few garner a minute of coverage much les several thousand hours over the course of a few years. Yes, I understand about the Laci Peterson Law being important legislation and indeed newsworthy, but I mean does anyone really listen intently to hear them regurgatate for 10 minutes an hour the nothing that goes on daily?

If anyone opposes me on this subject, I have one simple question for you to answer. What possible good comes out of hearing about this crap day after day after day after day after day.....? The deaths/rape were indeed tragic and I am in no way trying to minimize that fact. However, all this coverage seems to serve no real purpose other than to fill 24 hour news broadcasts with 10 minute segments for a few years at a time.

Post subject: Re: Is this truly newsworthy or just more useless filler?
PostPosted: Sat 07-24-2004 9:10AM 
Major

Source: TJ South
-|F.I.B.|-LowMan wrote:
If anyone opposes me on this subject, I have one simple question for you to answer. What possible good comes out of hearing about this crap day after day after day after day after day.....?

Well, bad news day in and day out leads to people being progressively more depressed (to a certain degree), and it's generally easier to get someone that's down to buy something than a person that's happy and content with life.

Bad news, more bad news, advertising, bad news, ok news, bad news, more advertising. Rinse and repeat.

A sad prole is a consuming prole! =)

~ Krientle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 07-24-2004 3:42PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

Source: MechE Building
Don't you know? CNN would rather pay their pretty faces $2.8M a year than pay their field reporters an honest wage. Reporting the same stuff means they don't have to spend money looking for new stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 07-24-2004 5:32PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
Dude, where's my news?

Profile E-mail