* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:00AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Breaking Point
PostPosted: Thu 08-12-2004 3:51PM 

Source: Somewhere
This might be on the front page on Seek still, but go ahead and take a look:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/ ... index.html

First, I wonder if he's more ashamed of having had an affair, or the fact that he's gay? On the bright side, he might be the first politician who has actually resigned following an affair, unlike some others I know...

But on the more important side, I'm asking myself how far tensions in this country will escalate before we reach a breaking point. We've already outlawed gay marriage in one state just after it had been legalized in another. Certainly the Supreme Court will eventually have something to say about this, and it will probably resemble the Dred Scott v. Sanford case when it finally does happen.

Some my question for all of you is, what is the state of the tension in America today? Are the coasts of America pulling its Heartland apart, or are we stretching with their tugs? Are tensions increasing, or are people getting tired of caring so much? Is there any end in sight, or should we expect to see more stories like this in the future, more and more outrage, and more and more uncertainty?

Basically, where are we, and where are we heading?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08-13-2004 1:03AM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
Communism, civil rights, terrorism, our nation likes to have things to fret about. If it wasn't gay marriage, it would be something else.

Our nation loves to worry about things, and every time people think that it's pulling our country apart. In the end, all it ever really does is make our country a better, stronger place.

After the gay marriage issue is solved, then we'll move on to immagration, or minimum wage, or education, or the electoral college, or any one of a hundred other issues. When that time comes, people again will say that it's making America uneasy. In the end, it'll only make us better.

That's the beauty of America. We're always self evloving (or, devolving, in some people's opinions).

What's the state of the tension in America today? Right where it ought to be, just below the boiling point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08-13-2004 10:02AM 
Colonel

BigPeeOn wrote:
That's the beauty of America. We're always self evloving (or, devolving, in some people's opinions).

I could go for some self evloving right now. Too bad I'm at the office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08-13-2004 5:20PM 

Source: Somewhere
BigPeeOn wrote:
What's the state of the tension in America today? Right where it ought to be, just below the boiling point.

A wise statement.

But how long will it take, what will the costs be, and which segments of culture will end up alienated? The homosexuals or the religious right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08-13-2004 7:10PM 
Major

Source: TJ North
This is just one of the issues that confirms that it is a good thing that it takes our government so long to pass a law. Because in 10-15 yrs. we will be looking at this issue just like we look upon segregation and women not being allowed to vote.

And as for who will be alienated, it will most likely be the ones that refuse to change. Which means a few on both sides most likely.

And the statement about our nation enjoying having something to "fret" about is an understatement. The only time that we as a nation are acting as one is when we are fighting agianst an overseas enemy and that enemy has to attack us directly. For example, no one noticed at all when we sent a large number of troops in Bosnia to take down Milosovic without U.N. approval. This barely hit the newpapers and rarely hit the front page (except when a stealth plane was shot down) all because Clinton was getting the job done to him while he was doing his job.

How this sometimes makes our nation better, I believe that more often than not this distracts us from the real problem that caused the problem that we are complaining about.

But then agian, thats just my opinion.

"When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends."
-Japanese Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08-13-2004 7:13PM 
Major General

Gay Marrige has become a "wedge" issue, much like Iraq and the way abortion used to be.

I never remember hearing very much at all about gay marrige before the Massachestues (sp?) court's decision legalizing on it. Then it became a huge issue.

No matter which side of it you stand on, IMO there are far more important issues to worry about than gay marrige. Legalizing it won't make millions of people turn homosexual, and won't harm families. Making it illegial won't bring more anger and violence to homosexuals and won't deny them any constitutional rights (since the constitution mentions nothing of marrige).

Terrorisim, the economy, and Iraq are far more important issues, no matter which side of the spectrum you stand on.

Quote:
But how long will it take, what will the costs be, and which segments of culture will end up alienated? The homosexuals or the religious right?

It is my theory that gay marrige will eventually be legal, just not for many years. The federal marrige amendment will proably never get the votes to pass through Congress. I imagine that over the years as people become more tolerant of homosexuality (as we have been slowly for many years) it will be legalized. How long i can't say. Ten, twenty years, or maybe not even in my lifetime. We as a nation aren't ready for it yet, and proably won't be for a long time.

Profile E-mail