Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:22AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Olympics
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 2:56AM 
Lieutenant

Source: MU
Micheal Phelps rocks! Period. End of swimming discussion.

Any other Olympic feedback... besides, of course, the fact that John Williams is also the man?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 4:22AM 
Major

Source: Fidelity
I feel like a fag for watching gymnastics, but I was really impressed at what Paul Hamm did last night. The guy was in 12th place at one point, and having shoulder pains, and he came back to take the gold.

Both the men's and women's swimming relays the last two days were pretty incredible as well, women breaking the longest held record left in women's swimming. Can't believe Keller held off Thorpedo on that last leg.

I've been pretty bored, so the olympics are a good remedy since they're on like 20 hours a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 8:56AM 
Major

Source: Materials Research Center
That's becasue Ian Thorpe is a douche.

Post subject: Re: The Olympics
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 2:03PM 

Source: Somewhere
Capt.Krol wrote:
Micheal Phelps rocks! Period. End of swimming discussion.

Any other Olympic feedback... besides, of course, the fact that John Williams is also the man?

Capt. Krol returns! Well, sort of.

I missed the opening ceremonies. What was the Williams piece like this year, what was it called, and is there a CD release yet?

-the ghost of Tambora

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 08-19-2004 2:43PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Off Campus
They are adding too many stupid sports to the Games...

1) Synchronized Diving... synchronized swimming is stupid enough... to this sport I say "wtf?"

2) Trampoline Gymnastics... since when has the trampoline been worthy of an olympic sport, got one of the fuckers out in my back yard. What is next in the olympics, SlamBall?

3) Modern Pentathlon... what exactly do shooting, fencing, swimming, horse riding, and running have in common?

I guess I'm a bit too much of a purist... I think all sports should be normal, none of these off the wall additions (I'd be for getting rid of beach volleyball, even).

One last thing to ponder, do the horses in the equestrian event also have to come from the country that the rider does?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08-20-2004 11:17AM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
They're trying to add bridge as an olympic sport...It's a "mental endurance" sport.
And yeah...once Paul Hamm did his three releases I was thinking yeah he's got it...then he did the nice landing and won. That's probably the best I've seen so far. Well that and the amazement at how bad some of the female gymnasts have been doing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 08-20-2004 4:23PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
I'm waiting for the masterbation quadathlon. They could have different events to test a person's speed, accuracy, distance, and coverage and would score people based on their performance and technique. Imagine how much pubicity UMR could get if a student actually won an olympic gold metal...

"I'll attract them with my human call.... 'I'm so wasted, I'm so wasted!'" - Dryad, Night Elf, Warcraft III Reign of Chaos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 08-23-2004 1:26AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Phi Kappa Theta
I was kind of questioning mountain biking when they added it in 1996. I mean, extreme sports are for the X Games. Hell, they won't even let the Freestyle Mogul competitors in the Winter Games go upside down. And now they are talking about stopping softball as everyone is getting wasted by the American women. Oh well, another event we killed.

Basketball was so much a disappointment to me after watching the Puerto Rico game that I now do not care how they do, although I did like the game between Argentina and Serbia & Montenegro (sp?). Ginobli had a great buzzer beater. It was awesome.

"What do you mean 'brought it bowling,' Dude? I didn't rent it shoes. I'm not buying it a fucking beer. He's not taking your fucking turn, Dude." -Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski

Profile E-mail