Source: Fulton Hall
Yeah the above post was me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 10-19-2004 10:12AM 
Captain

Source: TJ North
Swirls wrote:
Yeah, Danny Haren would make a fantastic starter. Ankiel was his rookie year, but I don't think he'd make one again. Mainly because after he's pitched a few innings, he really has to think about his pitches... And that's where he ran into trouble. Once the batter gets under his skin, Ankiel is fucked... Which resulted in lots of wild pitches his second season (why he went back down to the minors). That's why I think if you put him in at the end of the 8th, or the start of the 9th inning, he can just throw his disgustingly nasty curveballs and fastballs to end the game. Without getting really nervous or facing a lot of pressure.

A few weeks ago when the Cardinals were playing the Rockies, Ankiel was back in his old scary form. He gave up like 6 earned runs or something, and had a wild pitch or two. It's because of that that I don't think Tony La Russa will have Ankiel be a starting pitcher.

And hell, even if Ankiel isn't the closer... Make Ray King do it. Lefties can't touch him, and righties aren't much better. Anyone's better than Izzy.

I have to disagree. I think Ankiel would once again make a decent starter if given a chance. Yes, he gets in over his head when he thinks too much, but that's a problem for any major league pitcher. You start thinking about what pitch to throw this guy and where to throw, you're bound to screw up. Ankiel still isn't a veteran and is prone to making that mistake. Only his third year appearing in the majors, I'm willing to see what he has as a started once again. His curveball is probably the nastiest pitch I've seen anyone throw in recent memory. A guy who can throw that pitch at 90 mph with a drop like that could be hell as a closer, but he could also keep an opposing team at 0 with it if he pitched a complete game.

As for the Colorado game, that was Ankiel's one screw up during what was an otherwise stellar month. Before that game he hadn't given up a single hit and hadn't walked anybody. I'll admit I was worried how he'd perform at first. He put those doubts to rest. Now, in Colorado, everyone knows the best curveball pitchers have fits because of the thin air up there because their curveball won't drop as well. That's what happened to Ankiel. His curveball wasn't as effective as it normally would be and hung up a lot for Colorado to smack around at will. Its the wild pitches that I can't argue, he had to be thinking then.

If Ray King was closing for the Cardinals, there would hardly ever be a blown save, unless he's up against Lance Berkman, and we know how that's ended up the last couple days. Ball meet left field bleachers. I'm not too keen on seeing Ankiel as a closer right now despite knowing how well he could probably pitch in that situation. I'd like to see him given another chance at starting for the Cardinals. I honestly think he could redeem himself.

And don't overlook his other quality. He rivals Jason Marquis when it comes to swinging the bat. Hell, he had several home runs in the minors. No matter what Ankiel needs to be on the Cardinals roster next season. He'd be one hell of a designated hitter in inter-league play. That and he probably make the entire Yankees lineup looks like idiots with his curveball. And that would just make my day. :twisted:

"Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal. These are principles which ever man of every faith can embrace." -- Boondock Saints

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 10-19-2004 10:36AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Alpha Epsilon Pi
True, but on the pitcher hitting thing... The only starting pitchers the Cardinals have that aren't really solid hitters are Morris and Carpenter. Woody Williams played shortstop in college, and he's proven himself countless times as one of the best hitting pitchers in the league. Marquis we all know is a damn good hitter too (I still don't understand why he tried to turn that blooper single into a double on Sunday night, but whatever). And we can't forget Jeff Suppan... He's averaged almost .300 during his tenure as a pitcher.

I mean it's scary when you actually have people that can hit from your 1-9 spots... It's almost like the American League with a DH. :P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 10-19-2004 10:47AM 
Captain

You're right about the pitchers and their hitting abilities. I tend to overlook Suppan a lot when it comes to hitting and that's mainly because he didn't have such a great year at the plate. I mean his first hit didn't come until like late August I think. Woody is definitely a good hitter but he's getting up there in age, which doesn't mean a whole lot, especially if you go look at Roger Clemens, and I think his abilities at the plate are only going to tail off over the next couple years. Morris, he's had his moments. For a couple years he was pretty consistent, even getting at least 1 homer a year, but like his pitching, his hitting is about as inconsistent as it can get. Then there's Carpenter. All I have to say about him is I don't care if he can hit or not. The way he pitched this season is enough reason for him to stay with the Cardinals for a long time.

Marquis, well, he's been talked about already. And I too don't understand why he tried to stretch that hit into a double. It was close, but most hitters would've just held at first. I guess he figured he had already made the turn and since it was a close game he'd chance. He can run when given the opportunity.

"Do not kill, do not rape, do not steal. These are principles which ever man of every faith can embrace." -- Boondock Saints

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-21-2004 10:09AM 
Brigadier General

What do you know... He did it again last night. Two blown saves in as many games. Luckily this time Jimmy was there to bail the bastard out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-21-2004 11:21AM 
Captain

Best way to win Game 7 tonight. If its close and the Cardinals are winning in the ninth, keep Jason Insringhausen out of the damn game! Let Ray King or Tavarez or Haren or somebody else close the game, please.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-21-2004 12:03PM 
Brigadier General

Source: TJ South
Heck, Tavarez did a hell of a lot better than Izzy, and he was playing with an injury!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-21-2004 1:22PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Altman Hall
Wasn't Izzy pitching when the Astros made the tie-ing (sp?) run? I hope he is left on the bleachers this game too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 10-21-2004 7:47PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Alpha Epsilon Pi
Yup. That's why he was charged with his second blown save in as many games.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-22-2004 12:18AM 
Gun Hater

Source: TJ South
snipermav wrote:
Heck, Tavarez did a hell of a lot better than Izzy, and he was playing with an injury!

haha some injury. he broke two bones in his hand because he punched the telephone box in a surge of anger. He deserved it. that was just stupid

And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-22-2004 8:10AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Altman Hall
That looked painful last night when the ball hit the bottom of his glove right where those fingers were. His hand swelled up like a balloon. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 10-22-2004 1:22PM 
Brigadier General

Well, Isringhausen and Marlon Anderson just moved up a notch in my book with their performances last night. That puts them at notch one. Matt Morris is still at zero.

Profile E-mail