Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Mon 05-06-2024 9:48AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: website
PostPosted: Thu 04-05-2007 7:47AM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
ok, i'm not a computer wiz. i'm having to create a website for my design team and i'm using microsoft publisher since it's dummy proof (well, for me it is).

it's nothing fancy. we just use the site for PR stuff so other people and companies that sponsor us can watch our progression.

we have our own webspace with the university and i was wondering if there is a way i can make a login page for only my teams members to access into? there's just some stuff on the website i don't want the public or other teams to see.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-05-2007 10:51AM 
Sergeant

Source: CompSci Building
You might be able to set a password with .htaccess (Google it) that you would give out to your team members. I vaguely remember that you can only use UMR user IDs and passwords if anyone with a UMR account can have access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-05-2007 4:29PM 
Brigadier General

I think there is a way to validate UMR user ids using .htaccess (or at least there was, but I never tried it). Also, you used to be able to use the .htaccess for one big general account. It's my understanding that neither solution is secure, but it will at least make things private.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-05-2007 5:09PM 
Colonel

Source: Havener Center
I know that you used to be able to, but I'd always done it with a perl script, and when IT switched from AFS to DFS over the summer the webservers lost the ability to execute scripts, so I can't really help you there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 04-05-2007 10:26PM 
Major

you can always use PHP and just hardcode the usernames and passwords in. that way only people that you want to have access can have access. if you want help with this It's pretty easy. Just PM or something.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 04-06-2007 12:07AM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Somaht wrote:
you can always use PHP and just hardcode the usernames and passwords in. that way only people that you want to have access can have access. if you want help with this It's pretty easy. Just PM or something.

You'll have the same problem with php as with perl/CGI. If your account is web.umr.edu/~whatever, campus no longer supports you using any kind of scripts.
Also hardcoding the usernames and passwords directly into a php file is a terrible idea from a security standpoint. It would be better to have the script link to a file that is stored on the same machine but not in a folder that has web indexing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 04-09-2007 8:03AM 
Major

true that. If I do anything it's usually putting the user names and passwords in a database and then connect to that. didn't know they disabled scripts though. That's crap. Can you possibly put your script on another site and have everything linked together? kind of a sticky situation if your wanted to have it on the campus network.

Profile E-mail