Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 5:32AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mini-itx in car pc
PostPosted: Tue 09-18-2007 4:33PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
i am Wanting to build an in-car PC, with a LCD monitor and such, For things like playing my MP3 collection over car speakers, GPS, and movies. I have been looking at a mini-itx system, does anyone have any advice/ experience in such a thing. Also any advice on methods on hooking it up to a small LCD? I was thinking about using a small, less than 10" TV hooked into it, but if anyone has better ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-18-2007 4:47PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
I've been looking into it for a while as well, and it seems as though a really cool idea is using an old broken NES for the case. A lot of automobile LCD's will have the appropriate hookups on it. You say a 10" LCD, so I assume you don't want it to go into the dash? There are plenty of in-dash options available. Overhead works too... I'd kind of need to know some more specifics about all you want to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 09-18-2007 7:00PM 
Major

Source: Off Campus
no, im not wanting an in dash unit, so that I can move it between vehicles as needed, I will prob just mount the lcd to dash via something fairly easy to move. My thought process is to put the PC either in the glovebox, or under the passenger seat, and with the LCD, and a small keyboard with a mouse nubbin on it, nothing too fancy, just a simple hackish job that looks decent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 12:51PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

The best way to do this is with a laptop. You don't need the screen, but the rest is what is valuable. Laptops are already slim and designed for the motions involved with portability. I built a computer for my truck a few years ago, and it worked ok, but it was sluggish, and didn't respond well to the rigors of vehicle vibration.

You can still use whatever screen you wanted and whatever control mechanisms you wanted (mouse and keyboard, touchscreen, whatever) with a laptop, and it is easier to integrate into your vehicle, as well as move and remove.

The sheer bulkiness of an ITX, much less a Micro ATX (what I used), can definitely complicate matters.

Not to sound discouraging or anything, ITX will work. But for longevity and portability, you should probably consider a cheap laptop.

Also, as for a TV, I have a 5.6" TFT LCD TV screen. It takes composite signals and runs off of 12VDC. HOWEVER, it is nearly impossible to read anything with the resolution set to anything greater than 640x480, you will need to design some way to mount it, it is manufactured by a company called "Innovatek," a company whom which I can find no information about. I bought it for the computer I put in my truck a few years ago from a website called "http://www.MP3playerstore.com". There are a couple of innovatek sites, but neither of them even look like they have ever manufactured monitors or DVD players.

If you are interested, let me know.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 2:27PM 
Colonel

Source: MST Wireless
ShadowCat38 wrote:
The sheer bulkiness of an ITX, much less a Micro ATX (what I used), can definitely complicate matters.

ITX... bulky? I don't think so. ITX mobo's are at maximum 6.7x6.7 inches, and can rise as little as 1.4 inches. You can buy car-specific mini-ITX cases, that come with car power supplies so they can be connected easily (example).

If you've got an extra laptop, that's fine. But, a mini-itx car case is also a good idea if you've got the cash to dish out (car case with car psu can cost around $250).

I've never actually built one, but this is from I've researched online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 09-19-2007 7:31PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

I stand corrected. I haven't ever seen one that small before. The smallest ones I had seen were about 7", but they were 7" cubes, hence being bulky.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue 10-02-2007 4:14AM 
Corporal

Source: RC I
I'm doing a research project on robotic applications, and am using quite a few of the parts that you would need to use (will be running everything off of a scooter or car battery). The parts are all very low draw, and I've found solid state alternatives for all storage. Got good deals on everything too so I can give you the retailers that I used if you'd like. They're all quite tiny as well, ranging from pico-itx to nano-itx and up to mini-itx. PM me if you want to see anything or have more specific questions.

As far as the screen goes, by the time you rig up a tv, and add input devices, you're probably better off buying a small touchscreen lcd (there are quite a few for rather cheap). It will end up being about the same cost, will give you a much cleaner look, and will be easier to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 10-02-2007 3:05PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
i was going to say the same exact thing as serps. if this is who i'm thinking it is (Glass?) then we talked a lot about this last night.

yes, i am Shatner.