Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 04-19-2024 10:15PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Zune Wireless Syncing
PostPosted: Tue 11-13-2007 8:49PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
Has anyone on campus gotten it to work? Mine is showing up with an IP on the IT website and I can ping it, but I can't get it to connect to my PC to sync. I'm thinking it's being blocked by IT, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't me before I asked to get it opened up from wireless<->wired

Edit: I also had a packet sniffer running and didn't see anything at all from it...which makes me think it's being blocked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 11-13-2007 10:28PM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
It works fine for me, although I'm using my own wireless network and not UMR-WPA or Campus. Also I didn't even have to register the MAC for my Zune

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-22-2007 5:50PM 
Brigadier General

Source: VPN
You do know that it has to be powered (by an AC adapter, for example) in order to wirelessly sync it, right? Just making sure.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 11-22-2007 11:37PM 
Major General

PM me your Zune's MAC, I can check and see if it's been blocked or not for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-23-2007 12:54AM 
Lieutenant

Is your computer on the wireless also? Because if your computer is plugged into an ethernet port and you are using IT's wireless for the Zune the devices are on different subnets, which means the wireless syncing won't work. This didn't effect Chank since he used his own wireless, which is on the ethernet subnet. Subnets are equivalent in this case to separate networks that wouldn't be considered part of your LAN. Look at the third number in the IP address of your computer and Zune, if they are the same or one different then you are most likely on the same subnet, better yet check with the mask.

How many computers can I wirelessly sync my Zune to?
You can configure your Zune to sync wirelessly with one computer on one wireless local area network (LAN).
http://www.zune.net/en-us/support/usersguide/musicvideospictures/wirelesssyncfaq.htm#public

Solution, get your own wireless network, or connect your computer wirelessly, more specifically, even with the same wireless security settings, as UMR_Campus is a different network from UMR-WPA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri 11-23-2007 1:12PM 
Spanish

Source: Fidelity
DWelty: in Havicaz's original post, he said he can ping the machine, there *is* connectivity there. Plus I have faith in his networking abilities, he's taken part in some important LANs in STL.

Havicaz: I don't exactly know how the zune syncs with PC's, but I've got this feeling it's using some form of CIFS/windows file sharing. In which case, IT blocks ports 137,139,&445 from wireless, which would confirm your assumptions about it being "blocked".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 11-24-2007 1:55AM 
Lieutenant

heretic: I may be wrong, but I think the issue is that the Zune uses broadcast packets to find the computer, which stop at the subnet if I am correct. He could ping between them, but the broadcast packets would not reach unless he is on the same subnet. Just a guess though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat 11-24-2007 2:11AM 
Major General

That is correct about broadcast packets. A broadcast will not leave the subnet, and wired and wireless are on different subnets. So if that is in fact how the Zune works, there's your problem. I have no idea how the Zune works, but it would make sense that the Zune would make use of something like zeroconf which relies on broadcast.

Even if the Zune doesn't use broadcast, I highly doubt MS would let it work outside the subnet anyways in a bad attempt to prevent piracy. It would be too easy if someone could put in a friend's IP address and download all his music to their Zune. And if the Zune's IP is 131.151.xxx.xxx, and your computer is 131.151.yyy.yyy, the Zune doesn't know if that computer is 2 feet away from you or halfway around the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 11-25-2007 4:17PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
Just to clarify, it is the subnet issue I discovered. It uses uPnP - which is blocked at the subnet. It works if my machine is on wireless. To sum it up, I'm SOL. I figured this out a few hours after I posted, when I got ahold of a wirelss NIC. I probably should've just deleted it. Thanks for the replies though.