Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:47AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Anyone know much about Televisions?
PostPosted: Mon 12-03-2007 2:10AM 
Lieutenant

Source: VPN
Yeah, I know not a computer thing but I didn't know where else to put it.

I have a 20" tube t.v. that when you plug it in all you see is a bright white light across the screen. I was thinking about pitching it, but would much rather fix it if possible so any help would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 12-03-2007 8:40AM 
Sergeant

Source: IT Staff
The 'gun' that controls the stream of electrons that fire onto the screen and make the image is controlled by a pair of circuits. One controls the horizontal position, the other controls the vertical. Since you've got a horizontal line, its likely that something in the vertical circuit is messed up. Its actually a very common problem.
If you do decide to go in be careful please. Don't touch anything that goes into the tube. There's a couple thousand volt line in there that will screw you up pretty good. You can Google how to discharge it if you're interested in fixing the TV, but I'm not going to tell you how I normally do it. I'd hate to be responsible for your horrible burns or possible death if you misunderstood what I told you.
You'll also need a schematic and oscilloscope if you want to do anything meaningful once the TV's open. In all likelihood its not going to be as simple as finding the burned up component on the board.

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 12-03-2007 12:50PM 
Major

Source: TJ South
He is right. There is a vertical control chip that gives out. I have replaced a few, and they are usually 13 pin chips. You should look for the chip that looks most like what is in the following link.

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/7000to7099/pdf/nte7085.pdf

Try to get the numbers off the chip, and replace with the same chip, or maybe NTE can offer a substitute.

BE careful, I also don't want you to fry yourself, and hopefully that is the only problem. Maybe the power supply blew that chip up.