* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 11:29AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hulu
PostPosted: Sat 12-08-2007 7:00AM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: VPN
So i just got my Hulu invitation, and i was excited. (if you want to know why - you have access to wikipedia and google - use it) Unfortunately, this site is a huge let-down. I was hoping for a network somewhat like revision3, but this site is pretty crappy imho.

The interface is clunky - but i can deal with that. What annoys me most is the selection. For most shows i'm interested in - they only have 5 episodes. What the fuck am i going to do with five episodes? Watch the middle of a season? There is no way for me to get interested in other shows. I can't say - hey, gee i saw a commercial for show X, but haven't watched since the first couple of episodes - and now they're on season 6. How the hell am i supposed to go about catching up?

Next - the quality is pretty bad. Video stutters like youtube videos from 3 years ago (play... STOP. BUFFERING. 1. 2. 3.... 100. play...... STOP. BUFFERING). And i'm on a 5mbit down 768kbit up connection - i know it's not my broadband thats the problem. Even when the video isn't causing epileptic seizures - it sucks. Watching a NEW episode of The Simpsons (19th season) looked like one of those videos that has been twice dubbed across VCRs from 1990 and then someone with a shitty capture card uploaded it to the internet. What the fuck? And I thought - hey maybe it's just this show, perhaps others will look like i'm not watching them with rabbit ears covered in tin-foil. Nope. They all look like crap.

The commercials aren't all that bad. Typically there's about 3-4 15 second breaks in the video for advertisments (all from the same company) for every half hour (22 minute) episode of a TV show. Although rather than put them at a logical spot for a break (eg end of a scene, after a monologue, or a fade to black) they put them in the middle of fucking sentences. "O shit, here come the Cylo---SWITCH TO INTEL CORE DUO TO IMPROVE YOUR NOTEBOOK COMPUTING EXPERIENCE!!!----ns! Launch all vipers!" Come on. I know that NBC network executives are stupid, but it's not that difficult to find a logical spot to fit a break in.

The only thing Hulu has going over ThePirateBay is the videos start playing right away, and i don't have to worry about being sued (and considering that i've downloaded half the shows in Hulu's cataloge from TPB, and haven't gotten a single DMCA notice yet - i don't loose any sleep over huge lawsuits - so the legality issue between the 2 is moot for me). I honestly think i'm better off bittorrenting the shows. I can watch more than the last 5 episodes of Heroes, and it will look better than low-res, stuttery, crap-o-vision without the video being interrupted just as Sylar is about to eat brains.

my 2 cents.