Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 7:23AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Campus Wireless Internet Issue's
PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 10:44AM 
Colonel

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Macs are alright. They get the job done for general day-to-day business and hey, they look nice too. But I don't buy the hype. The "Hi, I'm a Mac" campaign astounds me - trying to paint PC users (by the way, Macs are not PCs? since when?) as lifeless middle-aged corporate drones that have a love and fascination for spreadsheets. (I understand that they depict the machine itself as that, but come on, we know what's going on.)

I like some of Apple's stuff. I use itunes to organize music. Podcasting is a nice innovation (not sure if that credits to Apple?). Nobody writes viruses for Macs (then again, if and when they become the dominant OS people will write them). And the iPod is a decent piece of hardware.

But Macs... they're ungodly expensive (if you find one under $1k there are procedures in place to alert the media), hardly upgradeable, incompatible with all kinds of soft/hardware (oh, but you can run Windows on it!), and now they use intel chips? Well, if you get one, that's your choice. Enjoy it. Just don't become an elitist twit walking around sniffing your own farts and telling people how cool you are that you blew two G's on it. I've met people like that. Ick.

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 1:12PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
calculusninja wrote:
Macs are alright. They get the job done for general day-to-day business and hey, they look nice too. But I don't buy the hype. The "Hi, I'm a Mac" campaign astounds me - trying to paint PC users (by the way, Macs are not PCs? since when?) as lifeless middle-aged corporate drones that have a love and fascination for spreadsheets. (I understand that they depict the machine itself as that, but come on, we know what's going on.)

I like some of Apple's stuff. I use itunes to organize music. Podcasting is a nice innovation (not sure if that credits to Apple?). Nobody writes viruses for Macs (then again, if and when they become the dominant OS people will write them). And the iPod is a decent piece of hardware.

But Macs... they're ungodly expensive (if you find one under $1k there are procedures in place to alert the media), hardly upgradeable, incompatible with all kinds of soft/hardware (oh, but you can run Windows on it!), and now they use intel chips? Well, if you get one, that's your choice. Enjoy it. Just don't become an elitist twit walking around sniffing your own farts and telling people how cool you are that you blew two G's on it. I've met people like that. Ick.

God, all of these posts are making me sound like a fan boy even though I use my windows machine more than my iBook.

Quit. Being. Stupid.

The attack isn't on the people that use it, it is aimed toward the look and feel of the computer. It is saying windows is outdated, not that everyone that owns a windows machine is a geek. The appeal of the apple is the style and what better way to convey it with some hip kid vs. old douche-bag representing Microsoft's shitty UI. You can't srsly believe they are insulting people they are trying to get to buy one of their laptops I hope...

Yes, they're ungodly expensive. Mostly because that's what happens when you have an ultra thin laptop with a SSD hard-drive. Put shit in perspective, pullz. My iBook was $1,000 when it came out which wasn't too much higher than a dell laptop. Why don't you talk about Alienware laptops that are virtually dell++ and charging $3000 since we're on this subject. I could build those for 1/3 the cost. If people pay it, that is there own fault.

Incompatible with tons of software? Have you used one lately? Do you own one? Have you ever owned one?

PS, elitist twits are everywhere regardless of the machine. Sit in CS 213 for a while and you'll run into plenty of them most of which think they are uber-cool cause they have linux installed on a box @home.

/rant

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 1:41PM 
Drowning

Source: Fidelity
the fact that berto has one should sum that up for everyone

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 1:54PM 
Brigadier General

LostBoyz wrote:

Wow, if that's the best you can do, why do you participate in the conversation?

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 1:59PM 
Drowning

why would you pay more for something because it looked better. Its a laptop, you pay more for less function, but some sweet white smd leds that make an apple glow.

go buy a purse nancy

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 2:04PM 
Brigadier General

LostBoyz wrote:
why would you pay more for something because it looked better. Its a laptop, you pay more for less function, but some sweet white smd leds that make an apple glow.

go buy a purse nancy

Yes, because SSD is obviously nothing. A thin style for easier carrying is obviously nothing. A better operating system is obviously nothing. But you keep telling yourself that, cripple.

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 2:12PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Tau Kappa Epsilon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 4:47PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
LostBoyz wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 5:06PM 
bertowned
bertowned

berto wrote:
amd2800barton wrote:
And i'm a company of tools who do nothing but bitch about another company instead of saying why your product is better, or even that you just released a new product at all.

Dan, tell me you're better than this.

Why not bash Microsoft? Everyone else does it and even you do it, but when Apple does it on national TV, it is somehow not okay. They've said numerous times as that article points out as to why it's better. Why do they keep having to repeat themselves?

They have to repeat themselves because thats what commercials do. And there is a HUGE difference between some twat on the internet whining about why apple/microsoft sucks and apple whining and stomping its feet on NATIONAL TV. It's just unprofessional; Apple is totally taking the low road here.

PostPosted: Fri 10-24-2008 5:22PM 
Major General

I think the big picture here is that Apple obviously still feels very threatened by Microsoft, and still feels it needs the campaign to continue to shed Microsoft in a bad light.

What I think is really funny is the Bake Sale ad, because it shows exactly what Microsoft did for Apple in the 80's.

PostPosted: Mon 10-27-2008 12:28PM 
Colonel

So far this is all I'm getting...
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I see you have a Mac too. Well, good for you!
THAAAAAANKS!

PostPosted: Mon 10-27-2008 12:58PM 
Lieutenant

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
So, back on topic... I discovered that it wasn't my device. Changing the MAC address to anything else let me get on the wireless but using my original killed it. So I believe the WAP must be configured so as to not let my device to connect in those buildings.

PostPosted: Mon 10-27-2008 11:29PM 
Colonel

Patrick wrote:
So far this is all I'm getting...
Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I see you have a Mac too. Well, good for you!
THAAAAAANKS!

so, uh, i lol'ed

PostPosted: Tue 10-28-2008 12:30AM 
Drowning

Oh, I see you lol'ed there too. Well, good for you!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 10-28-2008 9:55AM 
Colonel

LostBoyz wrote:
Oh, I see you lol'ed there too. Well, good for you!

THAAAANKS!