* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:07AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Campus Bandwidth Information
PostPosted: Tue 11-18-2008 1:42PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
Worseley wrote:
I never even use bittorrents, I could really care if it was blocked anyways. My servers/ftp's are encrypted with SSL anyways, so they couldn't block/stop me even if they wanted to.

The fact that they have bandwidth limitations though means that while you could download insanely fast, you've pretty much got your arms tied behind your back in how you use it.

Arms tied? We can't do one _illegal_ thing and our arms are tied? And even then, it is still possible so I don't really see how we are limited.
Worseley wrote:
So you've got a high bandwidth, it doesn't mean your entire way of using it has changed does it? It's mainly going to stop lag or other issues from to many people being on/at the same network/time.

I'd say lowering latency and preventing lag is a dramatic change in the way things work and I think gamers would agree with me. This means we can actually game online without having to sit for five minutes for our weapons to shoot. Also, no one made the claim of it changing our entire way of using it. It's only been stated that we can actually use it at night time and not have to wait 20 minutes to watch a youtube video.
Worseley wrote:
Now downloading between campus's would be a huge BOOM, but last i heard this kind of got wiff'd a while back but with all this going into effect this would be a major event if those things came back.

When I first got onto campus, we didn't have any limitations. We had a opened internet connection for the entire campus and we had no problems downloading things at full speeds. Back then things worked great, there were no super leaches or power users like we got later.

I guess it was successful... I don't know when you got here, but I got here on the latter half of the tier system reign. So it was successful... up until 300mb hit. Then the caps started setting in. And before that, after talking with many people "in the know", near the majority of the bandwidth on campus was being used by ~4% of the campus population which was why the tier system went into effect.

So I guess you could call that successful, but I wouldnt.
Worseley wrote:
I think this is actually great news but I'm hardly going to jump up and down for joy over something like this. Maybe with this backbone coming into Rolla we'll see some overflow into the commercial market. Maybe FidNet wont suck balls and get some competitive rates/speeds that towns 20 miles away have. Now if that started to happen then I'd say it's some good news bc Rolla has Lagged far behind everyone else around us on the internet side of things for the last 4 years.

You probably won't jump for joy because you live off-campus and the off-campus market here blows. But as for us on-campus, I'd say this was a tremendous improvement and even though I only have one semester left, I'm stoked.

PostPosted: Tue 11-18-2008 3:09PM 
Captain

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Well I think the internet here is ok, but could use some improvement. At times I lag while playing games, so I am hoping the upgrade coming in 2009 will fix all this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 11-18-2008 3:31PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
lol, i always find it funny how much people in Rolla like to talk things and debate things to death. I guess I asked for that whole dissection of my post but all i really was doing was throwing all my thoughts out there after you asked what I was smoking Berto.

Pipeline Increase is great for people but those super high numbers really just mean reliability. They're not something that I'd go around flaunting to people that you download at that rate or anything. I guess I should have used a better example but those numbers are great to look at but hardly show what you really get from it.

BTW? Do you always troll for shit like this?

PostPosted: Tue 11-18-2008 4:21PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
Worseley wrote:
lol, i always find it funny how much people in Rolla like to talk things and debate things to death. I guess I asked for that whole dissection of my post but all i really was doing was throwing all my thoughts out there after you asked what I was smoking Berto.

Pipeline Increase is great for people but those super high numbers really just mean reliability. They're not something that I'd go around flaunting to people that you download at that rate or anything. I guess I should have used a better example but those numbers are great to look at but hardly show what you really get from it.

BTW? Do you always troll for shit like this?

Have we not established that I love debating when people make silly claims?

PostPosted: Tue 11-18-2008 4:46PM 
Captain

Source: RC I
Worseley wrote:

That's a download from the newsgroup I subscribe to. Now, there are two things to keep in mind: with the 500MB/hour unrestricted, I can't do that constantly. That's a good thing, because otherwise, people would be, constantly. Once you reach that, it automatically drops your speeds to ~130KB/s, which is STILL faster than what I would get normally before the upgrade.

I can get consistent 1MB/s downloads from most places, and my newsgroup reaches 8.5 (I didn't take a screenshot when it happened last night). At those speeds, you do have to watch what you download. It's a good form of control alongside a very impressive upgrade. It's not like I plan to be downloading constantly anyway, so for me to get what I want quickly instead of waiting three hours is good enough for me.

PostPosted: Tue 11-18-2008 4:58PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Source: Off Campus
BlackDragonHunt wrote:
Worseley wrote:

That's a download from the newsgroup I subscribe to. Now, there are two things to keep in mind: with the 500MB/hour unrestricted, I can't do that constantly. That's a good thing, because otherwise, people would be, constantly. Once you reach that, it automatically drops your speeds to ~130KB/s, which is STILL faster than what I would get normally before the upgrade.

I can get consistent 1MB/s downloads from most places, and my newsgroup reaches 8.5 (I didn't take a screenshot when it happened last night). At those speeds, you do have to watch what you download. It's a good form of control alongside a very impressive upgrade. It's not like I plan to be downloading constantly anyway, so for me to get what I want quickly instead of waiting three hours is good enough for me.

Yeah I was LUCKY to get 130kb/s at any point last year.

PostPosted: Tue 11-18-2008 11:06PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Tau Kappa Epsilon
berto wrote:
I'd say lowering latency and preventing lag is a dramatic change in the way things work and I think gamers would agree with me. This means we can actually game online without having to sit for five minutes for our weapons to shoot. Also, no one made the claim of it changing our entire way of using it. It's only been stated that we can actually use it at night time and not have to wait 20 minutes to watch a youtube video.

i loved last season of cevo i played in css people thought i was from europe cause i pinged 250 to chicago

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 1:30PM 
Major

Source: RC II
lol I quit scrimming because of that very same thing