Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 6:41AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Toshiba Satellite BIOS Password Problem
PostPosted: Mon 12-15-2008 12:43PM 
Captain

Source: McNutt Hall
I am the recent recipient of a "junked" Toshiba Satellite L355D Laptop. First off, I am not a huge fan of Toshiba Satellite systems due to their dismal reliability. Of all the big makes, these tend to be the most problematic, commonly due to power port failures related to broken solder on the motherboard. I work on computers and there is a definite pattern with seeing LOTS of Toshibas.

So, a fellow called me and was interested in trading for some stuff I had with this laptop. I said sure, figuring there would still be some good parts. Anyways, I got ahold of the system and it was MINT. It looked like new and there wasn't a scratch or dirt on it. In addition, it is a dual core Turion with 2GB of RAM, 200GB HD, and a 17 inch display. I got excited as this isn't just some ancient laptop.

Anyways, it turned on and posted but came up with a BIOS password right off the bat. The previous owner doesn't know the password and indicated it just happened spotaneously. This is another known fault of many Toshiba Satellite models and can be corrected via a BIOS flash, provided the flash is conducted BEFORE the problem manifests itself.

Anyways, I looked up some solutions to the problem such as a parallel port loopback tool (this unit only has USB so that it out) and USB unlock keys (no one makes one compatible with this unit). The password is stored in a non-volitile ROM and is not cleared by removing the motherboard battery. I looked to purchase a new motherboard for this but none appear available, on Ebay or otherwise. Another fellow indicated he could likely get me one but that it would be a minimum of $300 for the part based on other similar motherboards he has purchased new.

I really don't think I want to spend that on this system so I plan to use it for parts to repair other laptops. I hate to cannibalize this as it would be a nice unit but it is useless without a good motherboard.

Let me know if anyone was a way to bypass this or if I should just strip it for parts.

at http://www.mst.edu/~cwatkin/cwome

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Toshiba Satellite BIOS Password Problem
PostPosted: Wed 12-17-2008 8:00PM 
Spanish

Source: Off Campus
Well, that's a tough one, it would be a shame to strip down such a nice machine. It's fairly obvious you have done you research, a quick google search has given me these links:
http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais ... id=1863789

so either A) a backdoor password might work, or B) you'll have to send it to a toshiba authorized service provider, seeing as how I doubt you have the paperwork, I don't know if they'll be willing to reset it for you sans-warranty. Either way, good luck, I hope you get those issues resolved.

Profile E-mail