* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:20AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Windows 7
PostPosted: Fri 01-09-2009 4:39PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
If you've tried it - talk about it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/window ... nload.aspx

Last edited by Chankster on Mon 01-12-2009 12:32PM, edited 1 time in total.
added link

Post subject: Re: Windows 7
PostPosted: Fri 01-09-2009 8:26PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Fidelity
I've got my key finally, but I'm having difficulty getting the iso :(

PostPosted: Sun 01-11-2009 1:49PM 
Captain

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
i got in running on my macbook pro. Pretty sweet

First thing to notice is the install is noticably faster. Most likely related to the fact that almost all extra programs have been stripped from the OS and now part of the windows live wave 3 beta pack. Will release before windows 7 does officially.

The first boot has that config setup that was part of vista but also much shorter.

Boots up HELLA faster, recovers from sleep MUCH faster.

Once your in its pretty much vista with sp2 and some more bug fixes and the UI redone. Vista was the architecture changing build and windows 7 is the "high level" change build of windows.

Everything is quick and snappy. New task bar is of course simpler, but not necessarilly easier. Paul Thorrot at the winsupersite.com has a great article about it that i agree with. It can be slower to access the correct page u want from 1 icon. The taskbar is now twice as tall as before, (I don't mind i always had mine this tall anyways but some people may not like it.) quicklaunch is gone :(
the notification area clean now only showing 4 icons by default and hiding everything else by default. i dunno if hiding everything is a good thing. Things like messengers and programs that run in the task try require much more time to close out due to this.

Its basically vista with the updated UI bug fixes etc. On speed. Much faster, very reliable so far.

I have had 1 issue with it, the power profiles are not configured really at all for laptops, and i set it to hibernate when i close it to save battery, sometimes when i wake it up it has to do a reboot which is annoying. i didn't have this issue in vista.

UAC is alot better, i only got it to pop up when doing apple drivers, otherwise it could be usefull in the future when Warez try installing themselves you can now stop them.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing my typo's guys.

Intel Core2Duo E6750 2.6@3.4:Gigabyte DA-965p-DQ6:MSI GTX 260 OC:4Gigs Corsair XMS2@800mhz:~ 5.0 TB:G15 Gaming Keyboard:Razer Copperhead Mouse:37" 1080p Westinghouse Monitor:5.1 Logitech:NZXT Lexa Blackline:Xfi Xtreme Gamer

PostPosted: Sun 01-11-2009 11:30PM 
Captain

Source: RC II
Don't forget everyone, even if you didn't get a beta key yet for windows 7 and think they are out, the cap was 2.5 million, you can still get it. The servers went down due to too much traffic and now they are allowing an unlimited number of users to get into the beta but only for the next 2 weeks. Go to the site and sign up to get yourself a key.

Intel Core2Duo E6750 2.6@3.4:Gigabyte DA-965p-DQ6:MSI GTX 260 OC:4Gigs Corsair XMS2@800mhz:~ 5.0 TB:G15 Gaming Keyboard:Razer Copperhead Mouse:37" 1080p Westinghouse Monitor:5.1 Logitech:NZXT Lexa Blackline:Xfi Xtreme Gamer

PostPosted: Mon 01-12-2009 8:07PM 
Lieutenant

(The following was true for an 8800 gt, I don't know about any other cards)
If you have an Nvidia GPU, the January Drivers 181.20 work in windows 7 without issue, and for me, worked better than the ones that install by default

PostPosted: Mon 01-12-2009 8:31PM 
Captain

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
i have tried numerous times to get nvidia drivers to install on my macbook, but they all say they are not compatible with the GPU in this. because it is a mobile chip. Laptopvideotogo.com has modified ini's that will allow you to install the newest drivers on almost ANY gpu.

PostPosted: Thu 01-15-2009 2:05AM 
Colonel

The quicklaunch isn't gone it is just changed to "snap to taskbar" or something, which is basically the same as quicklaunch. Also note that you can't play any games that require punkbuster as punkbuster doesn't support beta OS's including Windows 7. Also does anyone know if Windows 7 will be the official name? I think that it would sell like hotcakes if they changed it to "Not Vista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!1!!!!!!!11111111!1!!11!!!1!1!1" :lol:
Apparently I can no longer get windows (vista or windows 7) to install on my DVD drive (would hang during install) so I had to put Windows 7 on my 4GB flash drive and that worked just fine. BTW I would advise against doing an upgrade install of Windows 7 as it took me about 1.5 hours to install it on a 300GB 10k RPM SATA2 HDD (but other than the long time I have yet to have any major issues with the upgrade install except once which I attribute to user error :oops: ). I also happen to have 5 HDD's, 12 partitions, and 4 OS's installed on my system (6 for Vista, 3 for Windows 7 (2 of which are just copies from Vista to test programs) 1 for XP and 2 for Linux (1 swap partition)). I am not sure if it is my DVD drive that is bad or something else but eliminating the DVD drive did solve the problem. Also my Vista install uses about 2GB more than Windows 7.Honestly I have only used Windows 7 for an hour or so since I found out the punkbuster issue (typing this on Vista) and have yet to go back but might spend more time on it tomorrow. I do love the fact if the Windows 7 upgrade install fails you can still use Vista just fine no matter at what point that it fails as it automatically restores Vista but it does leave behind a lot of files that you can't delete as it says that you don't have permission even if you are logged on as admin (the files get deleted during the cleanup phase of the install if it doesn't fail). I haven't had any issues so far except the new Windows Experience Index worked once and then failed every time I tried to get a new rating (max rating is now 7.9 up from 5.9). I am using a Q6700 @ 3.2GHz with 4GB of ram running 64-bit Vista Home Premium (I got it for free and legal) and Windows 7 and 32-bit XP and Linux (64-bit Linux had hardware issues for some strange reason and wouldn't install).

PostPosted: Thu 01-15-2009 10:32PM 
Captain

killerofall wrote:
The quicklaunch isn't gone it is just changed to "snap to taskbar" or something, which is basically the same as quicklaunch. Also note that you can't play any games that require punkbuster as punkbuster doesn't support beta OS's including Windows 7. Also does anyone know if Windows 7 will be the official name? I think that it would sell like hotcakes if they changed it to "Not Vista!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!1!!!!!!!11111111!1!!11!!!1!1!1" :lol:
Apparently I can no longer get windows (vista or windows 7) to install on my DVD drive (would hang during install) so I had to put Windows 7 on my 4GB flash drive and that worked just fine. BTW I would advise against doing an upgrade install of Windows 7 as it took me about 1.5 hours to install it on a 300GB 10k RPM SATA2 HDD (but other than the long time I have yet to have any major issues with the upgrade install except once which I attribute to user error :oops: ). I also happen to have 5 HDD's, 12 partitions, and 4 OS's installed on my system (6 for Vista, 3 for Windows 7 (2 of which are just copies from Vista to test programs) 1 for XP and 2 for Linux (1 swap partition)). I am not sure if it is my DVD drive that is bad or something else but eliminating the DVD drive did solve the problem. Also my Vista install uses about 2GB more than Windows 7.Honestly I have only used Windows 7 for an hour or so since I found out the punkbuster issue (typing this on Vista) and have yet to go back but might spend more time on it tomorrow. I do love the fact if the Windows 7 upgrade install fails you can still use Vista just fine no matter at what point that it fails as it automatically restores Vista but it does leave behind a lot of files that you can't delete as it says that you don't have permission even if you are logged on as admin (the files get deleted during the cleanup phase of the install if it doesn't fail). I haven't had any issues so far except the new Windows Experience Index worked once and then failed every time I tried to get a new rating (max rating is now 7.9 up from 5.9). I am using a Q6700 @ 3.2GHz with 4GB of ram running 64-bit Vista Home Premium (I got it for free and legal) and Windows 7 and 32-bit XP and Linux (64-bit Linux had hardware issues for some strange reason and wouldn't install).

Microsoft actually said that quicklaunch is gone, even though the new taskbar icons kinda serve the same purpose, but also eliminating having a box for each open window kinda sucks in a few ways but i know what u mean.

Yes it will be called windows 7 that has been announced as the official name.

the issue might be that you could be burning the iso's too fast. OS disks should be burnt at 2x and nothing higher or will most likely cause errors.

Do u know how slow flash memory is? The MAX throughput i can ever get out of a flash drive is 1MB/s which is HORRIBLE, thats most likely why your install took so long, but the DVD drive could also be failing.

That is a pretty sweet feature incase the install fails you don't lose anything.

PUNKBUSTER DOESN'T WORK?!?!?!?!!? :(

i can still run the windows experience test, most likely you installed a driver that is causing issue's. There are official windows 7 drivers out from NVIDIA. Try different drivers, like if it ran the 1st time, you installed drivers, now fails to run.

PostPosted: Fri 01-16-2009 3:18AM 
Colonel

My flash drive does an average read of 18.9MB/s and a burst speed of 19.5MB/s (HD Tach FTW) and yes I did burn at 2x as I was using an old DVD+RW laying around that only does 2x.
Although since it did the same thing with my Vista disk I am assuming that it is the DVD drive as the exact same vista disk has worked in the past. Also you might be using a USB 1.1 port and/or flash drive that would give you 1MB/s. Oh and punkbuster does work just it kicks you when you join a server for an error as it doesn't support beta OS's. Apparently flash drives are faster than using a DVD but I have yet to prove this one way or another.

PostPosted: Wed 01-21-2009 12:39AM 
Sergeant

Quote:
Microsoft actually said that quicklaunch is gone, even though the new taskbar icons kinda serve the same purpose, but also eliminating having a box for each open window kinda sucks in a few ways but i know what u mean.

Yes it will be called windows 7 that has been announced as the official name.

the issue might be that you could be burning the iso's too fast. OS disks should be burnt at 2x and nothing higher or will most likely cause errors.

Do u know how slow flash memory is? The MAX throughput i can ever get out of a flash drive is 1MB/s which is HORRIBLE, thats most likely why your install took so long, but the DVD drive could also be failing.

That is a pretty sweet feature incase the install fails you don't lose anything.

PUNKBUSTER DOESN'T WORK?!?!?!?!!? :(

i can still run the windows experience test, most likely you installed a driver that is causing issue's. There are official windows 7 drivers out from NVIDIA. Try different drivers, like if it ran the 1st time, you installed drivers, now fails to run.

The taskbar icons do well to replace the quicklaunch bar, though I still think I liked quicklaunch better. As far as the size of the taskbar and the stacking of windows, that is only the default. You can change the properties of the task bar to seperate windows until the taskbar becomes full which will reduce the size of the taskbar to the size most of us have grown accustomed to, and it will seperate your windows until you have too many of them, much like was the default in previous versions of windows. The free gadgets kinda bug me, and I kinda liked the little toolbox that Vista had better, but still not that big of a deal I guess. Overall I like the look of the new design but nothing seems too groundbreaking with the UI at least not that I find to be very useful. So far it seems a tad more stable than Vista, and it's definitely more responsive.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 01-27-2009 12:28PM 
Brigadier General

A few questions. Can you see your vista/xp OS partition from in win7? I can not and was wondering if this is because my vista install is 32bit and my win7 install is 64bit. I can see my other partitions just fine but not my "C" drive from my vista install.

Second question. Is there anyway to set the delay for when the preview pops up on mouseover on taskbar items? it seems that when I mouse over something it takes 1 or 2 seconds to pop something up and then when I mouse away they stay up for 1 or 2 seconds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 01-27-2009 9:34PM 
Sergeant

Source: TJ South
cmptrnrd16 wrote:
A few questions. Can you see your vista/xp OS partition from in win7? I can not and was wondering if this is because my vista install is 32bit and my win7 install is 64bit. I can see my other partitions just fine but not my "C" drive from my vista install.

First go to Computer Management and then select Disk Management. From there you will be able to assign drive letters to partitions.

PostPosted: Wed 01-28-2009 12:44AM 
Brigadier General

Chad_S wrote:
cmptrnrd16 wrote:

First go to Computer Management and then select Disk Management. From there you will be able to assign drive letters to partitions.

Thanks for the info. Someone in IRC pointed me in the right direction and it was pretty easy to figure out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 01-28-2009 2:51PM 
Colonel

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
I have it running on my desktop right now and I'm pretty satisfied honestly.

Everything installed fine except:
Daemon Tools, but I used SlySoft VirtualClone instead with positive results
iTunes (need for my iPod Touch), haven't tried too hard yet, but won't finish install

Matlab r2008b, Maple 11, PSPICE and all my engineering/math programs seem to install and work great.

PostPosted: Wed 01-28-2009 3:44PM 
Brigadier General

iTunes installed fine for me, but every once in awhile the audio quality corrupts horribly and is only fixed by restarting iTunes.

Profile E-mail