Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 10:12AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Decent Phones?
PostPosted: Sat 02-07-2009 11:03PM 
Captain

Source: Off Campus
My phone just died today and I'm in the market for a phone compatible with AT&T.

I need something with bluetooth that can sync with my computer.
I'd like something that has a decent platform for programming.

Does anyone recommend one of these phones over the others:
t-mobile android g-1 (I suppose I'd need to unlock this phone unless there are android phones for att)
iphone
openmoko neo freerunner(If you have one of these I want to hear your opinion on it)

If you have another phone you'd recommend I'd like to hear about it.

Post subject: Re: Decent Phones?
PostPosted: Sun 02-08-2009 12:13AM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
I truthfully can only speak about the phone that I've used for a while. I've had an iPhone for a while now, and I do like it very much. It's great as an entertainment phone (which is exactly what I needed it for) and as a GPS system, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who needs to use it for business.

PostPosted: Sun 02-08-2009 12:23AM 
Major General

G1 - no experience with it, but I know there's not an Android phone for AT&T

iPhone - great development platform, has Bluetooth and syncs with a computer (it doesn't sync via Bluetooth if that's what you're wanting). I've had an iPhone 3G since July and I like it a lot. I miss my old BlackBerry in some ways, but nothing comes close to the iPhone in terms of web browsing capabilities (what I use it for mostly), gaming (some good games out there, especially some that use the accelerometer) and overall usability and user friendliness. The iPhone is pretty much useless without the data plan though, unless you're always near a WiFi network. Not a great phone for business like you said, but to me, that's a good thing. I don't want my work e-mail or anything work related on my phone. If my employer wants me to use my cell phone for business purposes, they can pay my cell phone bill and give me one of their phones.

openmoko - I've never used one, but I hear it's not quite ready for primetime and it still has a lot of issues.

edit: Oh, by the way, I'd like to add that the iPhone only uses Bluetooth for headsets (and not even A2DP). If you want Bluetooth for transferring files or an A2DP headset, then don't get an iPhone.

PostPosted: Sun 02-08-2009 2:03AM 
Drowning

ive been pretty happy with the lg vu, i dont have a data plan, solid everyday phone

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 02-08-2009 12:30PM 
Captain

The benefit of the G1 is that developing for it is a lot more open. I downloaded the SDK and I've already been playing with it. It looks like to sell your apps

$399 +$25 for a developer phone(unlocked hardware and SIM). Then whatever I sell they get 30%
I've never bought an unlocked phone, I don't exactly understand the process on getting it to work if I were to buy on ebay.

The benefit of the iphone is the wider audience buying shit in the store. The downside is I'll get locked into 2 more years with AT&T.

$199(+2 years of my life) + $99/yr(to sell apps online, even free apps) Then apple gets 30%

The other consideration is that the G1 uses a different frequency for 3g, so I'd be using EDGE on AT&T with a g1, where as the iphone would have 3G(at least in the coverage areas).