Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:44PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Printing restrictions
PostPosted: Sun 04-19-2009 11:58AM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
FrankieM wrote:
I sure hope that when it is implemented it isn't a cheap fix. I say this because I do printing for myself, solar house and work (and university department). I wouldn't want to pay for prints for solar house or work.

As for the person before who posted that it would screw ACM. Maybe you should consider printing fewer pages.

When we were using it in IT, I believe the original intent was to just apply the restrictions to CLC printers (since, unless anything has changed recently, departments pay for their own supplies for office printers so IT doesn't care if they blow through a toner cartridge and 10 reams of paper every other week), so if you were to print from the solar house or work office, it likely would not come out of your balance. I can't say for sure, as I don't know what they're planning now, but this was the case a couple years ago when we were testing out a restriction system.

PostPosted: Sun 04-19-2009 1:26PM 
Brigadier General

FrankieM wrote:
As for the person before who posted that it would screw ACM. Maybe you should consider printing fewer pages.

We would just raise membership dues to cover for it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 04-19-2009 10:08PM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
Or ACM could just use the stuco committee that does the flyer's to print them up then just pick them up yourselves. Since they're utterly worthless at distributing flyers.

PostPosted: Sun 04-19-2009 10:27PM 
bertowned
bertowned

I think a big problem that isn't addressed is faculty printing. I get literally 25 pages a week from one of my professors. Between the two class sections this is for, there are ~60 people in the class. That's 3 reams of paper/week, and doesn't even count the 10+ page reports we turn in and print off ourselves. A bunch of the printoffs are just slides for presentations he gives during lecture - and he refuses to distribute handouts over blackboard because he doesn't want people who don't go to his class to have easy access to them.

PostPosted: Sun 04-19-2009 10:39PM 
Brigadier General

Really the flyers are a little useless. I know that most people ignore emails but throwing more paper at the ones that ignore emails isn't helping the printing situation. I get (and fully read) the econnection looking for interesting stuff. For some events I might see 1-2 flyers but when I can't go anywhere without seeing 50 flyers for the same event, it seems a little overkill. If we could combine our advertisements in one electronic location and skip the flyers then the ones that were interested in stuff would know where to find it, the ones that didn't care wouldn't miss anything, and we would all have a good reduction of mass email forwards that we would have to delete about the same event.

All the classes I teach are heavy with blackboard. I hand out paper copies of the syllabus at the beginning but that's it. Everything else is electronic. Teaching with the dropbox is sweet since it gives a timestamp so I know when it was turned in and it can be retrieved at a later time so I don't have to worry about losing the original.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 04-27-2009 6:18PM 
Brigadier General

Source: ERL Building
amd2800barton wrote:
I think a big problem that isn't addressed is faculty printing. I get literally 25 pages a week from one of my professors. Between the two class sections this is for, there are ~60 people in the class. That's 3 reams of paper/week, and doesn't even count the 10+ page reports we turn in and print off ourselves. A bunch of the printoffs are just slides for presentations he gives during lecture - and he refuses to distribute handouts over blackboard because he doesn't want people who don't go to his class to have easy access to them.

Have you ever had Dr. Cohen for Etymology 306, we would get handouts between 20-50/CLASS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 04-27-2009 8:18PM 
Brigadier General

That might just be shifting printing around. If a professor posts slides on blackboard with no handouts, that might be saving paper, except that some people print off every slide to follow along. Some classes are very slide intensive. I guess if you teach from the chalkboard, people wouldn't have anything to print off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 04-27-2009 8:46PM 
awesome yet humble

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
You should also take into consideration classes that don't really utilize powerpoint slides as primary information sources. For example, in my medieval history class we typically need to print out 30+ pages of primary and secondary sources for in-class analysis.

If there were to be a restriction on how many pages a student could print, IT should take into consideration which classes that student is taking. Perhaps professors should report to IT before the semester starts on how many pages students will need to print and IT could then set the page limitations based on those numbers. Professors could alter those numbers at any time during the semester so that they don't have to foresee a 50 page document that all students need to have printed copies of two weeks before the semester ends.

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Tue 04-28-2009 12:21AM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
el_lorenzo wrote:
You should also take into consideration classes that don't really utilize powerpoint slides as primary information sources. For example, in my medieval history class we typically need to print out 30+ pages of primary and secondary sources for in-class analysis.

If there were to be a restriction on how many pages a student could print, IT should take into consideration which classes that student is taking. Perhaps professors should report to IT before the semester starts on how many pages students will need to print and IT could then set the page limitations based on those numbers. Professors could alter those numbers at any time during the semester so that they don't have to foresee a 50 page document that all students need to have printed copies of two weeks before the semester ends.

Not going to happen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-28-2009 12:25AM 
awesome yet humble

Chankster wrote:
el_lorenzo wrote:

Not going to happen.

eh, it was worth a shot

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Tue 04-28-2009 12:27AM 
Brigadier General

Chankster wrote:
el_lorenzo wrote:

Not going to happen.

Probably going to be more along the lines of "You get this many pages per semester. Need more? Tough shit"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-28-2009 1:39AM 
Major General

Agentzak wrote:
Chankster wrote:
Not going to happen.

Probably going to be more along the lines of "You get this many pages per semester. Need more? Tough shit"

the quota will be tracked per semester as shown by the student interest survey. the total amount of pages per semester is still being determined since there isnt very accurate data yet. basically the amount you get will be enough for you to print stuff for class, but prevent people from printing 1400 color powerpoint slides in the span of an hour, entire harry potter books, or color copies of the oklahoma tax tables (these all actually happened).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-28-2009 2:02AM 
post whore
post whore

Chankster wrote:
Agentzak wrote:
Chankster wrote:
Not going to happen.

the quota will be tracked per semester as shown by the student interest survey. the total amount of pages per semester is still being determined since there isnt very accurate data yet. basically the amount you get will be enough for you to print stuff for class, but prevent people from printing 1400 color powerpoint slides in the span of an hour, entire harry potter books, or color copies of the oklahoma tax tables (these all actually happened).

I'm glad our IT overlords log / watch what we print... glad I've got my own printer & that I'm getting out of here.

PostPosted: Tue 04-28-2009 2:11AM 
Major General

When you leave them on the printer it makes it kinda obvious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 04-29-2009 3:07PM 
Major General

Location: Stone's throw from Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs

---To me though, the whole paperless shift is ridiculous. I remember going through the homework in Chem 1, Calc 1, Phys 23--having to know how to write it down, work it by hand and get it into the form the instructor requires. These are valuable skills to learn and I'm not convinced the joy of homework is being handed down properly by having the student fill in answers on the online form. My experience with the way these classes are handled is that for the first two months the online homework is made unnecessarily difficult by requiring the student to massage it into exactly the form a computer can parse. It's math for crissakes. And by the way, exactly how much paper is being saved? When we did it, we copied problems out of the book and turned our homework in on the same sheet of paper. Now you print your homework off on one set of papers, do them on another set of papers, enter them in the computer and then throw the whole lot of it away. Not to mention that you STILL HAVE the book that has perfectly good homework problems in it. (But no. Those problems aren't good enough for using because those problems don't GRADE THEMSELVES.) So you've tripled the amount of paper you use to work the homework and added an extra step or several to the homework submission process, all in the name of saving time and paper.

...wait. what?? Oh and by the way. We can't see your steps so no partial credit opportunities for you.

Took Chem 1 in Fall '03. 750 people in the class between six sections. I remember turning homework in by 5 PM on Friday and the stacks for each lecture (two sections) were two feet tall. My wife's in it now and they have three homeworks due every week, but the problems are so long you have to print them off and take them with you so you can work them, come back, and spend an hour entering them into the computer. Well it sure makes the TA's job easier I guess.

AND WHY THE HELL CAN THEY HAVE HOMEWORK DUE ON SATURDAY NIGHT?

AND ALSO DURING SPRING BREAK???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next