Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:38PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: OMG It's FINALLY Here!!!!11
PostPosted: Wed 05-06-2009 6:51PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
It made sense at the time, but upon further reflection, this is definitely a better place for it.

Also, I admit I was confused about how it worked, which is unfortunate. I will be extremely excited when the technology I did describe is developed and released.

Sad face :(

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 05-06-2009 9:48PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
ShadowCat38 wrote:
It made sense at the time, but upon further reflection, this is definitely a better place for it.

Also, I admit I was confused about how it worked, which is unfortunate. I will be extremely excited when the technology I did describe is developed and released.

The technology you described is already developed and released: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/03/ny-yankees-new/

I think that technology might be far from getting into our homes though, right now the only reason it works in big stadiums is because you're looking at it from a large distance so everything appears to be one continuous picture. If you get close enough, you can see the individual LEDs and it wouldn't look good at all.

PostPosted: Wed 05-06-2009 9:53PM 
Major General

blitzvergnugen wrote:
Think MirageX is right.

These cutting-edge TVs use LEDs as their primary light source, rather than traditional Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamps (CCFL).

I know in HUGE HDTV's (think new one in Kaufman Stadium) can use LED's as their pixels, but that's only b/c the massive viewing distance blurs them together to look like 1 pixel.

<sidenote + rant>
I was in cpe210 yesterday and some 213 students kept calling LED's: leds (like the metal, lead). It was annoying to no end.

SC, we're gonna have to start taking away from your post count and/or riding your bus to make you life a living hell if you can't shape up and start reading and shit. Shit being the most important part. done & done.

PS: you've just been BLITZV3RPWN3D

PostPosted: Thu 05-07-2009 7:28AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

devil wrote:
ShadowCat38 wrote:

The technology you described is already developed and released: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/03/ny-yankees-new/

I think that technology might be far from getting into our homes though, right now the only reason it works in big stadiums is because you're looking at it from a large distance so everything appears to be one continuous picture. If you get close enough, you can see the individual LEDs and it wouldn't look good at all.

Kaufman Stadium's Jumbo-Tron cannot fit in my living room, so it doesn't count. The technology I described is not available for home/personal use. I read the post, I know it existed. They used 2 very similar displays at Rocklahoma last summer, and the audience walkways went right up to them so I could get a really good look. But when a giant display uses LED's the size of small light bulbs mounted on a black plastic panel that is sectioned together into a 9'x6' "screen," I wouldn't call that the same thing. For this TV, I honestly thought that they had managed to shrink the size of the LED's enough to put 3 of them in the surface area equivalent to one pixel (which is the primary reason I was excited about the release. LED's that small have many more possibilities than just a TV. I've got several ideas of my own).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 05-07-2009 10:37AM 
post whore
post whore

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
I want OLED's so I can get the optimus.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

PostPosted: Thu 05-07-2009 3:41PM 
Major General

benm wrote:
I want OLED's so I can get the optimus.

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

optimus maximus is already out.

NOTE: The audio is ahead of the video by 13 seconds. (At 1:19 you hear him press CAPS 2x, at 1:32 you see him press CAPS 2x). I opened 2 videos and just muted the one I was watching.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/optimus+maximus/