Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:55AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Samsung phone unlock
PostPosted: Sun 05-10-2009 3:00PM 
Brigadier General

Source: ERL Building
I want to unlock my Samsung A777. I found a bunch of websites that give me a code to type in (which appear to work), but also need an 8 digit unlock code from AT&T.

There are countless websites that calim to sell me one, but I am cheap and don't trust many of the website.

Does anyone have the software to calculate the unlock code from the IMEI?
Does anyone know if At&t will just give the unlock code? Are there any consequences?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Samsung phone unlock
PostPosted: Sun 05-10-2009 4:22PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
You might try cooking up a story about traveling to a third-world country with the Peace Corps or the military and needing to use a third-world SIM card with your phone, requiring an unlock code. A lot of people had to do that in Kosovo, since there's only one cell phone provider and they're not affiliated with any major international carrier. The tech support people aren't evil, but they need to cover their own asses if someone asks why they did something. I doubt they would follow-up after unlocking it; you could always say the trip was canceled anyway.

PostPosted: Sun 05-10-2009 4:24PM 
Brigadier General

Source: ERL Building
Not sure why this thread AC'd me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 05-10-2009 5:26PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
I'm pretty sure AT&T will give you the unlock code if you call them. I don't even think you need an elaborate story about being in the peace corps, just tell them you're going out of the country on vacation and want to use a SIM from one of their carriers.

I know after I switched to AT&T, I wanted to unlock my T-Mobile BlackBerry before selling it since it might increase what I could get for it on eBay if it was unlocked, so I just called up T-Mobile, gave them some bullshit story about how I was going to be out of the country and they gave me the unlock code no questions asked, I'd imagine AT&T is the same.

PostPosted: Mon 05-11-2009 6:10PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Somewhere On Campus
It took 2 phone calls to AT&T (the second one because I didn't get all the numbers that I needed). Anyways, sounds like they have a script. They won't do it at first out of fear that you will cancel your account. If you just say travel, they will try to sell you their world connect plan (roaming), but the charges are really high. If you turn that down they will offer it to you again. Turn it down again, they say there is nothing else they can do. The first time I said something like why can't just give it to me, the second call I said "c'mon". Both times they immediately just gave me the code.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 05-12-2009 6:48AM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
FrankieM wrote:
...the second call I said "c'mon"...

The old Peter Griffin approach, eh? Nice.

PostPosted: Fri 05-22-2009 8:05PM 
Colonel

Source: VPN
Sorry for reviving this one since it's over a week old, but it seemed useful enough.
Just for other's info. This sounds remarkably like Sprint's MSL (I think that's the acronym) code. For certain phones you can use this code (each phone has a different one) to get into a few extra menus and even turn off the DIA, which allows you to tether your phone to your computer/pda/etc without paying for the phone-as-modem crap, just the regular internet (powervision).
You can definitely do this with the LG PM325, Samsung M500 (not made any more), LG Fuzic, and LG Music, but there's a ton more out there.

And the president of Sprint at one point released a letter stating (in layman's terms) that as long as it wasn't used for downloading multiple gigs of data/month, he didn't mind people doing this. Especially since they can't prove it (disabling the DIA removes the marker that identifies the different uses), they only send out letters in extreme cases-so no torrents.

peace