Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 11:19AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Audio over HDMI with Windows 7
PostPosted: Fri 01-08-2010 3:14PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Let me preface this by saying, that it has been functioning for the last 6 months care free, so don't start saying stuff like its probably the drivers, or hardware incompaitbility.

Ok so, i've been watching tv and movies, listening to music, etc ALL week on my HTPC, but I woke up this morning and there wasn't any audio output. I checked my volume levels, checked everything, nothing seems to fix it. SO I said fuck it, I haven't done a clean install in a while, so I just wiped it and did a fresh install.

But still to no avail. When I play something, the volume meter moves so it is as if the computer thinks there is an audio output, but there isn't. And the nvidia drivers knock out all other audio devices so I can't even switch over to headphones or traditional computer speakers.

ANyone have any experience with problems like this?

Running:
Windows 7 Pro x64
Asus M3N78-VM mobo
4GB RAM
Gigabyte 9400GT video card
Sharp LC-SH12U TV (audio and video should be coming through HDMI)
Hauppauge HVR-2250 tv card.

Post subject: Re: Audio over HDMI with Windows 7
PostPosted: Fri 01-08-2010 4:27PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: IT Dept
in windows 7 you can select which device it is outputting to. I couldn't get it to work on a laptop before i built my htpc, so i was plugging the rca audio cables directly into the surround sound reciever for awihle, until i realized that the output device selected in the mixer was set for speakers and it didn't automatically switch just because of an hdmi cable. i was used to xp where if you had extra outputs it just came out everywhere there was an output all at once.

i have a question to add to this. does anyone have experience getting surround sound to come through hdmi? I have 2 hdmi sources plugged into my hdtv, a Dish Vip722 1080i and a htpc over hdmi. The tv is a mitsubishi WD-73c9, and it is plugged into the sony surround sound through the coaxial digital output. The trouble I'm having is that it's coming through in standard 2 channel stereo rather than as 5.1 or 7.1 dolby.

edit: if i plug the vip722's audio in via fiber, i get 5.1 surround every time.

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 01-09-2010 1:54PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
my problem was a bad hdmi cable... pissed me off that i wasted a day of troubleshooting on that.

as for the surround audio, from what ive read online trying to troubleshoot my problem, it can be dependent on the chipset or video/audio card to decide what audio can go through. Try right clicking on the volume thing in the task bar, select playback devices and check the properties of the playback device, see if there are any settings in there?

PostPosted: Sun 01-10-2010 11:44PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: Off Campus
i'm pretty sure the problem is either in the a/v box or the TV, because it does the same thing for the HD dish reciever and the computer, but not the OTA channels from the internal hd tuner in the tv

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail