Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 11-24-2017 4:22PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sat 04-10-2010 2:38PM 
Offline
Colonel

Joined: Sun 09-25-2005 1:55PM
Posts: 646
Location: Not quite sure

Source: Off Campus
berto wrote:
ShadowCat38 wrote:
And my experience with netbooks has been forever shattered when my 1.6ghz atom-running Lenovo chopped when playing SD youtube and could barely handle using Facebook.

I'm just gonna focus on this part since that's really where I...um, give a shit, for lack of a better phrase. Maybe the lenovo had issues, but I can say that my passively cooled dell mini 9 can definitely play 480p videos and although I haven't tested it (what's the point on a screen that small?), people are reporting that 720p works as well and 1080p is even possible for the most part with a combo attack of an efficient media player using even more efficient external codecs.
As for flash were you able to try the newer flash 10.1 beta? It apparently helped out a lot. Again, haven't bothered to test that myself yet.

_________________
All I'm here to do is live my life and try to help others on the way.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sat 04-10-2010 4:05PM 
Offline
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09-16-2009 6:52AM
Posts: 608
Location: in your 802.11g stealing your internetz

Source: Altman Hall
Cochise wrote:
people are reporting that 720p works as well and 1080p


maybe on an atom n330 dual core with the ion platform

_________________
Queue42 - Advanced Direct Connect over SSL
Preconfigured Client -- 64 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Preconfigured Client -- 32 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sat 04-10-2010 4:15PM 
Offline
Drowning
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-15-2004 9:36PM
Posts: 4949
Location: ~~~~\o/~~~~~

Source: Off Campus
first stop calling it a tablet, because it isn't. It absolutely is a bigger ipod touch, the hardware and processor are all almost exactly the same architecture on a bigger screen. Does the bigger screen help you do better things? sure, but it is literally a bigger ipod touch.

Just because you can put text on it, does not make it an e-reader, and everyone I have heard talk about that feature says even though the thing only weighs 1.5lbs it still gets heavy to use to sit down and read for a long period of time. Its glossy and smudgy and has a non-ideal battery life for an e-reader type purpose (not saying its bad, but kindle can go days without recharging).

and the new generation of netbooks (which at most expensive run ~$500) are so much better at everything than the ipad, again just lacking the retard-esque os and 'touchiness'

it is the most beautiful pointless device of all time. especially considering the people that buy them have an iphone, ipod touch, and a macbook pro. But thats what fanboys are for right?

_________________
Rolla survivor

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sat 04-10-2010 5:48PM 
Offline
Colonel

Joined: Sun 09-25-2005 1:55PM
Posts: 646
Location: Not quite sure

Source: Off Campus
zeroluck wrote:
maybe on an atom n330 dual core with the ion platform

Nope.
Though the 1080p isn't perfect, with sound desync when there's high demand scenes such as some big action scene.
EDIT: might still be possible to glitch some with certain devices on 720p such as my passively cooled one.

_________________
All I'm here to do is live my life and try to help others on the way.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sat 04-10-2010 5:53PM 
Offline
awesome yet humble
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08-04-2006 9:39AM
Posts: 1373
Location: Boston

Source: Off Campus
Screw all your criticisms! All that matters is that it blends!


_________________
I'm just that freakin awesome.

And then, the monkey died.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sat 04-10-2010 7:52PM 
Offline
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09-16-2009 6:52AM
Posts: 608
Location: in your 802.11g stealing your internetz

Source: Off Campus
refurb Dell XT tablet -- $649
Core 2 Duo U7700 1.3GHz ULV processor
ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 integrated graphics
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
1.8" 5400 rpm 120GB hard drive
12.1" WXGA (1280x800) LED-backlit (220 nits) display
Touchscreen and digitizer pen input
Mobile Broadband with EVDO Rev A service through Verizon Wireless or Sprint
Dell Wireless 802.11a/g/n
10/100/1000 Ethernet
54mm Express Card slot
3 x USB ports
SD Card slot
IEEE 1394 firewire
VGA-15 pin output
Microsoft Vista Business Edition
Weight: 3.57 lbs.
Dimensions: 1"H x 11.7"W x 8.6"D

eeePC tablet -- $377

(convertible atom netbook)

there is nothing else to be said

_________________
Queue42 - Advanced Direct Connect over SSL
Preconfigured Client -- 64 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Preconfigured Client -- 32 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sat 04-10-2010 7:53PM 
Offline
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND
User avatar

Joined: Wed 09-16-2009 6:52AM
Posts: 608
Location: in your 802.11g stealing your internetz

Source: Off Campus
modernmystic wrote:
zeroluck wrote:
maybe on an atom n330 dual core with the ion platform

Nope.
ok i was wrong
EDIT: ok i was really wrong

_________________
Queue42 - Advanced Direct Connect over SSL
Preconfigured Client -- 64 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Preconfigured Client -- 32 bit StrongDC++ 2.42
Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sat 04-10-2010 11:47PM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Fri 07-08-2005 7:47PM
Posts: 1106
Location: Quad

Source: Off Campus
LostBoyz wrote:
first stop calling it a tablet, because it isn't. It absolutely is a bigger ipod touch, the hardware and processor are all almost exactly the same architecture on a bigger screen. Does the bigger screen help you do better things? sure, but it is literally a bigger ipod touch.

Just because you can put text on it, does not make it an e-reader, and everyone I have heard talk about that feature says even though the thing only weighs 1.5lbs it still gets heavy to use to sit down and read for a long period of time. Its glossy and smudgy and has a non-ideal battery life for an e-reader type purpose (not saying its bad, but kindle can go days without recharging).

and the new generation of netbooks (which at most expensive run ~$500) are so much better at everything than the ipad, again just lacking the retard-esque os and 'touchiness'

it is the most beautiful pointless device of all time. especially considering the people that buy them have an iphone, ipod touch, and a macbook pro. But thats what fanboys are for right?

First, stop saying it's a bigger iPod touch. Same hardware? Yeah it's close. But it performs immensely better (check the benchmarks) and the operating system is designed for a bigger screen -- which makes all the difference between the touch and the _tablet_. The tablet version of the OS is designed for the bigger screen, which I've already mentioned. Implying that it is just a bigger touch is pretty idiotic. If anything, the touch could be considered a smaller tablet. Last I checked, the "touch" wasn't a type of computer.

And it is an e-reader. The fact that it has an application specifically designed for viewing and purchasing books from online encourages that fact. To claim the tablet is a bigger touch because it is functionally the same and then say that the iPad is not an e-reader even though the functionality is the same is pretty contradictory. And anyone that can't hold 1.5 lbs needs to hit a fucking gym. Regardless, I've played on it for an hour at a time with no issues of holding it. The battery life gets 10 solid hours of use and can sit a pretty decent time in stand-by. As far as the smudgy finger prints, yeah they are there, but you can't actually see them looking directly at the screen when the screen is on.

Lastly, your arguments are zzz, Scott. Step up your game.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sun 04-11-2010 9:33AM 
Offline
Drowning
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-15-2004 9:36PM
Posts: 4949
Location: ~~~~\o/~~~~~

Source: Off Campus
but you haven't refuted anything I've said. You say its not a bigger ipod touch, but then say it is by conversely saying the ipod touch is just a smaller ipad. It is a more capable, less portable ipod touch. The ipod touch has a kindle app where you can buy and read books, but we both don't consider that an e-reader so there goes that argument. No one said they couldn't hold the thing for a long period of time to read a book, but merely that it became uncomfortable compared to other e-readers and books.


You sidestepped it being grossly overpriced and under equipped, and the fact it is not a tablet. Actually I couldn't find any mention of it being called a tablet on the apple site (http://www.apple.com/search/?q=tablet&sec=global), its merely the media who are calling it this. Though I'm not sure if there is a strict 'what makes a tablet' criteria, but the fact you can't set it down and use a stylus (natively) to say do some graphics work just makes it a failure on that front.

_________________
Rolla survivor

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sun 04-11-2010 10:24AM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-14-2005 8:36PM
Posts: 2168
Location: in a Google Fiberhood. Suck it bitches!

Source: Fidelity
Pretty sure that one of the main parts of an eReader is having e-ink...
wikipedia wrote:
An ebook reader, also called an ebook device or ereader, is an electronic device that is designed primarily for the purpose of reading digital books and periodicals and uses e-ink technology to display content to readers.

And if an application that allows you to read ebooks is all that's required to be an ereader, than the iPod Touch, my computer, my laptop, a pda, a nintendo ds can all be ereaders. Of course most of those are terrible when compared to an actual book. Sure it may have 10 hours of batt life, but that's not going to get anywhere close to a real ereader.

Also: what scott said

_________________
They let us play with markers, but i keep trying to draw infinity


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sun 04-11-2010 12:24PM 
Offline
bertowned
bertowned
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-20-2006 4:26PM
Posts: 2118

Source: Off Campus
Sorry, berto. LB and Blitz +1.

_________________
BigPeeOn wrote:
Here's the deal: chemistry is the devil.
Anything beyond balancing an chemical equation is black magic.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sun 04-11-2010 4:01PM 
Offline
Lieutenant
User avatar

Joined: Sun 10-19-2008 9:27PM
Posts: 50

Source: RC II
hehehehehe

Image


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Sun 04-11-2010 4:43PM 
Offline
Major General
User avatar

Joined: Mon 08-08-2005 5:09PM
Posts: 2334
Location: STL

Source: Off Campus
berto wrote:
First, stop saying it's a bigger iPod touch. Same hardware? Yeah it's close. But it performs immensely better (check the benchmarks) and the operating system is designed for a bigger screen -- which makes all the difference between the touch and the _tablet_. The tablet version of the OS is designed for the bigger screen, which I've already mentioned. Implying that it is just a bigger touch is pretty idiotic. If anything, the touch could be considered a smaller tablet. Last I checked, the "touch" wasn't a type of computer.


But it is (a larger iPod Touch). They didn't take OS X and make it more "iPad friendly" they took the iPhone OS and scaled it up. It still has an almost identical UI. Many of the elements were taken directly from the iPhone UI. The only difference is a larger screen and better "performance". Looking at the features there isn't anything the iPod Touch can't already do on a smaller screen (aside from accessibility, but really...).

The iPad is a large iPod Touch. End of story.

_________________
"This is not my sig", it said. - I looked at it suspiciously; Who's sig was it, then?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Mon 04-12-2010 5:48AM 
Offline
Brigadier General
User avatar

Joined: Fri 07-08-2005 7:47PM
Posts: 1106
Location: Quad

Source: Off Campus
LostBoyz wrote:
but you haven't refuted anything I've said. You say its not a bigger ipod touch, but then say it is by conversely saying the ipod touch is just a smaller ipad. It is a more capable, less portable ipod touch. The ipod touch has a kindle app where you can buy and read books, but we both don't consider that an e-reader so there goes that argument. No one said they couldn't hold the thing for a long period of time to read a book, but merely that it became uncomfortable compared to other e-readers and books.


You sidestepped it being grossly overpriced and under equipped, and the fact it is not a tablet. Actually I couldn't find any mention of it being called a tablet on the apple site (http://www.apple.com/search/?q=tablet&sec=global), its merely the media who are calling it this. Though I'm not sure if there is a strict 'what makes a tablet' criteria, but the fact you can't set it down and use a stylus (natively) to say do some graphics work just makes it a failure on that front.

I don't think it's possible to refute anything you've said because these are both our opinions. I will concede to yours and Alex's points of not being an e-reader (mostly Alex because I wasn't aware of the e-ink requirement). However, it works well enough for me as one. As far as being uncomfortable, I guess? I've had no problems finding a comfortable position I could sit in. And I'll only concede to it being 'a bigger iPod touch' because it does look like one and run the same OS. Now as for intended use, performance, and the shift towards programming for the bigger screen, I don't think so.

I don't think I sidestepped it because I specifically said it wasn't a great deal. I'd be the first to admit it is pretty pricey, but I'm not so sure it's under-equipped. It does what I need it to. And you're arguing that it isn't a tablet, so how can you compare it to tablets that are coming out and say it is under-equipped? You can't have it both ways. Not much to stand on, but the first sentence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad.


Top
 Profile  
    
 Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Mon 04-12-2010 3:22PM 
Offline
Drowning
User avatar

Joined: Sun 08-15-2004 9:36PM
Posts: 4949
Location: ~~~~\o/~~~~~

Source: Off Campus
Well i guess wikipedia knows more about apple's website, also it calls it a 'tablet computer' rather than a 'tablet pc.' I was saying that in the netbook realm $500 goes a lot further. I realize its not a netbook but down to functionality they have the same purpose and market.

I guess i shouldn't have compared it to a tablet, my only point was that it is not a tablet.

_________________
Rolla survivor

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net


Top
 Profile E-mail  
    
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group