Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:55PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset
PostPosted: Sun 05-30-2004 7:09PM 
Captain

Source: Off Campus
Ok so here’s the deal. I got this mobo a while back http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 198&depa=1 .

The plan is to get a gig of dual channel 4200 ram. This of course runs at 533mhz. I want to get this ram and unlock my multiplier on my barton 2600 and run it at the least 500mhz fsb. Does anybody know if this chipset will achieve these speeds with its stock active air cooling? The voltage settings are there, it’s only a question of heat. It would be nice if I could get it up to 600 but 500 would be enough to justify the new ram. Any info on weather or not you can get the multiplier down that low on these bartons would be nice as well. I haven’t unlocked mine yet cause I wanna be sure that the chipset will work before I start painting conductive anything on my cpu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 05-30-2004 7:21PM 
Captain

Well I figure that if the multiplier is set to 8 x FSB and the FSB is set to 250 (500), that should give me about 2000mhz. that’s slightly over clocked but not by much. If this won’t work, yell at me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 05-31-2004 9:40AM 
Colonel

okay, here we go. first off...scrap the 2600+ idea. Next, get yourself a 2400+ mobile processor. These are guaranteed unlocked from the factory (due to proc speed changing technology for laptops).
Next you should take your rear to http://www.nforcershq.com and look in the Epox specific forums. If you really want to get to 250, you will most likely be having to do some volt mods and such.
Also, you will want to pay attention to what memory chips are on the memory sticks. BH-5/6? CH-5/6? you should do some research to see which goes higher. I'll tell you now, that BH-5 is best, then CH-5...though CH-5 will require just a bit more voltage.

Getting to 250..and I'm guessing on air cooling...will take a lot more work to achieve than just slapping some parts in and setting some bios settings.

Just to put a bug in your ear, if you want to get to 250 for cheap and have some well documented volt mods...the DFI NFII Infinity does well and is generally cheaper than most NF2 boards..for the same quality.

Edit: It would probably be a very good idea to take the northbridge heatsink and relocate it to the southbridge chip. Then, take a gpu/chipset cooler and put that at the northbridge chip. I've got a Vantec Iceburq and it works wonderfully.

c : enter : push push push

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necropheliac... -- Ebay auction

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon 05-31-2004 11:00AM 
Captain

I’m sorry, its my fault I didn’t make a few areas more clear. First off, I already have the 2600 and the board and buying another is not an option. The only thing to be purchased is the ram. I know the ram will run at 500 because it is sold as 4200 (533) with micron chips. Unlocking the processor isn’t a problem either. Volt mod is already present, I just have to build up the balls to turn that sucker on. What’s nice about my board is that it already comes with beefy heatsinks installed on both chips. Check out the link in the first post for pics. If it needs more than that, then I’ll just put a cpu cooler on like I did my video card which happens to be running 200mhz over spec at 600mhz. That’s twice the jump I’m planning on making with the chipset but one can dream.

Thanks for that link though. It took me a few hours but it was helpful. Apparently an older version of my board had no problems reaching 245 without volt modding. My particular boards entire voltage regulation array (MOSFETs, capacitors and coils) has been replaced to provide much higher voltage accuracy. Not to mention the fact that it has an nForce2 ultra 400 rather than just a simple nForce2. hopefully I wont even have to flip that switch on my volt mod (you know I will ;).

Now i just have to sit back and wait for that slow assed paycheck to come in.

Thanks again for that link!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 06-03-2004 4:50PM 
Major

Ok so i spent the better part of April just reading about this very subject. Right now i have an array of parts in my basement waiting to be oc'ed. Ok first off it's bh5>bh6>ch5>ch6. Second off winbond hasn't made bh-5 for over a year. So finding bh5 chips is expensive and hard, expecially in 1gig.(2x512meg) Kingston makes some and ocz and mushkin and corsair, that i remember off the top of my head. I wouldn't trust kingstone with my money though. And you'll have to settle for 2x256megs most likely. You don't need to buy 4200 or 4000 and actually you'll get worse results with them because of the shitty timings. You'll never get ch5 to 250mhz. If you do i'll provide the tissue for when your mobo dies on you because you pumped a substation of power through the board. Anything 250mhz stock or more runs hynix or twinmos not winbond.
Also have you thought about 10x200mhz. That's a hell of a lot easier and cheaper. Most likely you could get 10x220mhz with decent ram. This is all on the assumption that you have cooled this sucker. The regular barton 2600+ isn't that great compared to it's mobile counterpart. It's going to require more voltage and more cooling. So if you don't have water this is going to be a warm job. It just sounds to me that you're not the one to spring for an SP-97 or something,which won't fit because of the nb and cpu placement. If you're going for fsb of 240+ you'll most likely have to cool the nb with something better than stock. Cooling the sb isn't that big of deal because nothing too important but the more cooling you have is always better. I trust you're not using onboard sound because epox gimped out on the soundstorm and usually sb cooling helps resolve a few sound issues.
Also you'll never get 300fsb without water and a lot of luck. So don't even think about it. I think you can get the multiplier down to 5 but i don't remember. Also don't use halfs, those systems run slower. I.e. 12.5 is slower than a 12 multiplier.
I think i've rambled enough. Here's the winbond site for known modules.
Read some more and when you think you're done read some more. Also with oc'ing it's always a gamble and nothing is assured

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 06-03-2004 4:52PM 
Major

Also if you give the exact ram you plan on getting i could help out a bit more.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun 06-06-2004 8:29PM 

Source: Somewhere
well i already have the water cooling for both the cpu and chipset, i just don't like using it cause it doesn't knock off that much heat unless i use a huge tub of ice. I might use my cars airconditioner radiator when ever it dies but that might be a while.

Unfortunately i've tried all of the mods out there to unlock my cpu with no luck :( I don't know what the deal is but i guess i'll just end up buying another stick of 3200 and live with it. I did however manage to mod it to an MP (as if i'd ever use it as such) O well. Thanks for your help guys, it was worth a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-08-2004 12:06AM 
Colonel

Source: Delta Tau Delta
I guess I'm not up to snuff on locked/unlocked amd procs...
AMD now locks the 2600+'s?? my older 2500+ is supposedly locked, but the nf2 chipset unlocks it for me.

c : enter : push push push

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necropheliac... -- Ebay auction

Profile E-mail