Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri 03-29-2024 9:01AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: that media program...
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 2:26PM 

Source: Somewhere
what's that media program that's installed on the gateway computer in the bookstore (i dont know if it's still there or not)? the program that basically turns the computer into an entertainment center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 2:57PM 
Lieutenant

Source: VPN
Winbdows XP media center edition?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/medi ... fault.mspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 3:27PM 
Colonel

Source: Off Campus
I don't see how that OS makes your computer an entertainment center any more than Windows XP can be. The FM, TV, and PVR functions are readily available with almost every TV card on the market. The menus are nice, but I'd prefer to use the traditional windows system anyway.

IMO, what you need to make a computer an entertainment center is:

A) a big-screen TV

B) a decent 3D card to play games with s-video capabilities in order to display them on the TV.

C) a wireless keyboard and mouse so you can use the computer from your comfy couch or armchair.

D) necessary cables to connect the computer audio to your TV, or have your computer speakers positioned around the TV area.

Voila, your TV and computer have just become a pretty damned good entertainment center. You can watch movies off of seek42 on your TV, play games from the comfort of your couch or bed, and browse the internet on a larger screen (albeit lower resolution, since it is a TV). And you didn't need a different OS to do it. The only down side is the TV's low resolution. However, for gaming or movie purposes, this is fine with me. Your monitor is still plugged in, and you can walk across the room and use that if you ever need to. I plan on using this setup in my dorm room next year with a 32" TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 3:41PM 
Major

i have xp mce on my laptop, and honestly, i never use it. it's basically just a tv/cable/satellite controller & recorder. that's it. if you own a tv, don't bother. it's more crap to make it sound cool. note that it's a controller, not a tuner. all it does is runs an ir to your cable/satellite box.
but...
if you live in a dorm, and your computer is the only thing you have, it would be ok for you.

if i was to do it again, mce certainly would not be a selling point. but, if you want to try it on yours anyway... let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 3:42PM 
General

our dorm room you liar.... sure youve got the tv, but what about the rest of it.... yea its mostly mine... so i win

but yea i agree with mr pat there

errr no you need a digital projector and a nice big sound system... oh yea weve got that too woot for me and pat

ram--------------4GB------------
vid__GF8600M GT 256MB__2xGF8800GTS 512MB sli
hdd____160GB_______3.5TBw/parity on a 3ware card

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue 06-29-2004 3:52PM 
Colonel

True, but the only thing of yours I'm borrowing is the couch. You can use your projector, and I'll use the 32" TV and everyone will be happy until we both die from the first recorded cases of EMP poisoning when it's discovered after we both spontaneously combust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed 06-30-2004 11:18PM 

Source: Somewhere
you can get Intervideo home theater. It is a program that will make your computer like media center edition.

Patrick: It makes controlling the computer with the TV and the Remote possible, and categorizes stuff for you. So you don’t have to try and read little file names and stuff.
That’s the media center Idea, sit on the sofa use the computer with a tv remote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu 07-01-2004 3:26PM 
Colonel

That's true. But at 1024x768, which is what I plan on running it at for better or worse, I don't think text size will too much of an issue. Besides, I plan on using my bitch box for browsing websites anyway.

I'd rather have a wireless keyboard and mouse than a remote. Those remotes seem incredibly useless. So many buttons, but only the play/pause/fastforward/rewind and volume control buttons do anything. And while it sounds like that program makes it possible to use the remote more, I'm too set in my ways to adapt to a new system... I'm going to be a very stubborn old man, if I'm like this now.