Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:09AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else here into metal?
PostPosted: Thu 05-15-2008 5:13PM 
Admiral Fgt of the SS Queer

Source: Off Campus
That's the corollary to that rule: if a good band DOES come here, you always have some obligation.

PostPosted: Fri 05-16-2008 10:50AM 
Captain

I wouldn't really say Lamb of God is metalcore Ben. But that's just me :mrgreen:

cmptrnrd16 wrote:
Also I listen to a lot of Dragonforce, Kamelot, Slipknot, Atreyu, Bullet for my Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold.

A lot of people on the metal scene bash Slipknot, but they were a band which way back got me into heavier music, which ended up leading me onto finding stuff I liked even more, and what people would consider to be "real" metal. So I still enjoy their music quite a bit. As for Dragonforce....well, they're probably best summed up in a statement I once heard;

"If you can't play "Through the Fire and Flames" by Dragonforce don't be upset. Herman Li can't play it either.

For your consideration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ch8CYgH-tQ

BlackDragonHunt wrote:
I don't really like hardcore metal, as my ears can't decipher most of what's happening, and it turns out sounding like mostly noise. That said, I really enjoy progressive and composition-oriented metal.

My metal list (if I wasn't sure, I added it because Wiki said it was metal, bold are big favorites): 3 Inches of Blood, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Ayreon, Blind Guardian, Bullet For My Valentine, Children of Bodom, Demons & Wizards, Devin Townsend, DragonForce, Dream Theater, Epica, Ill Niño, Kamelot, Lacuna Coil, Nine Inch Nails, Pain of Salvation, Ra, Sevendust, Sonata Arctica, Symphony X, System of a Down, Taproot, The Confession, The Dreaming.

Hardcore is basically diet metal (all your favorite angst now with 100 percent less solos and discernable vocals)

I'm into a lot of the stuff on your list actually (saw Symphony X a couple weeks ago, going to see Bodom next week) If you're into 3 inches of blood, I had kind of a weird experience regarding them happen a few months ago. I occasionally do work with this TV studio here in Los Angeles and there was this other metalhead who's a friend of mine who I'm always stuck working with when I'm over there. Actually me and him met when we were working on a Battle of the Bands type show. When I met him he mentioned he was a drummer (I'm a guitarist so naturally me and him got along and would talk about Metal all day while we were stuck in the van transporting stuff from the studio) and he had mentioned that he previously lived up in Seattle and was in a band up there, but I never actually inquired as to which one it was, since I sort of regarded him as just some dude I was stuck with for hours upon end during long shooting days. Well one day we were having lunch and we started talking about Iron Maiden and he mentioned that his previous band had opened for them on tour a couple years ago, so obviously this made me a little curious since I had known him for a while and he had never mentioned any of this. So I went on wikipedia and put his name in and found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Rodriguez turns out he's the old drummer from 3 inches of blood, which was pretty ironic considering I've actually learned some of their songs on guitar in past years and occasionally listen to their music, I never recognized him for who he was. He's currently in this new band in Hollywood called "Death Pilot", which I affectionately refer to as "Death Pilot For Cutie," much to his delight.

PostPosted: Fri 05-16-2008 11:34AM 

Lamb of God is close enough to metalcore.

And that's a pretty blanket statement for hardcore. What about Refused? At the Drive-In? I like this little jazzy hardcore outfit called The Plot to Blow Up the Eiffel Tower. I want to hope you're referring to hardcore NOW, rather than just in general.

Turns out Alexei was also the drummer for Walls of Jericho. They're a pretty fun metalcore band, when you don't care about not having much variation between songs.

PostPosted: Mon 05-19-2008 7:02PM 
Captain

I was referring to the bands coming out of the current hardcore trend. It doesn't bother me that much though, there are plenty of other types of music which are far worse.

PostPosted: Sun 05-25-2008 12:52PM 
Major

Five Finger Death Punch

PostPosted: Sun 05-25-2008 10:06PM 
Captain

So I see you finally decided to join/make a post! Great job :D

Anyway. I like some metal. I don't really like songs that have harsh vocals in it (grunting, etc) or whiny vocalists (Avenged Sevenfold in my opinion). Everything else is pretty much fine. I do like progressive, power, or speed metal the most, though. It's pretty fun times.

PostPosted: Wed 05-28-2008 12:11PM 
Captain

I went to Gigantour last week, which featured Megadeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Job For A Cowboy and High on Fire. Megadeths new guitarist is quite good, so good that everything they played sounded practically identical to the studio versions, so it was like standing in a room with a bunch of people listening to Megadeth records. I'm going to see Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, Divine Heresy and Firewind on Friday, which I'm really looking forward to (I had the option of staying in town and going to that gig or travelling an hour south and seeing Iron Maiden, but considering gas prices I decided to stay local) and I'm going to see Warbringer in a couple weeks, don't know if anyone is familiar with them but they're a pretty cool band.

PostPosted: Wed 05-28-2008 5:09PM 

In Flames and Children of Bodom = meh. I don't know, they're just so boring to me, I can never get into them.

The first Gigantour lineup was omg-awesome, but I don't believe they came around here (as usual).

PostPosted: Thu 05-29-2008 6:57PM 
Captain

ben laden wrote:
In Flames and Children of Bodom = meh. I don't know, they're just so boring to me, I can never get into them.

The first Gigantour lineup was omg-awesome, but I don't believe they came around here (as usual).

The stuff In Flames is putting out now isn't nearly as good as their stuff from way back, like so:

This song contains what is probably my favorite metal riff (starts at 1:26) It's from their 1996 album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN6SmD9ENLc

Or this one from 1999http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT_HdafN_L8

PostPosted: Tue 02-03-2009 10:17AM 
Sergeant

Quote:
Hardcore is basically diet metal (all your favorite angst now with 100 percent less solos and discernable vocals)

Hardcore>metal

Converge. Enough said.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-03-2009 10:21AM 
Drowning

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
well i guess it took 9 months to refute that

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 02-03-2009 1:27PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Schrenk Hall
Esrb99 wrote:
Quote:

Hardcore>metal

Converge. Enough said.

i think you're missing the fact that Hannah Montana > *

PostPosted: Tue 02-03-2009 4:36PM 

Esrb99 wrote:
Quote:

Hardcore>metal

Converge. Enough said.

Lol, right, yeah, one band is enough to show that's true. Not to mention Converge basically MADE metalcore and they're far more on the metal end of the spectrum than the hardcore side.

PostPosted: Wed 02-04-2009 12:01AM 
Captain

Source: RC I
Old thread is old, srsly.

Anyway, I've recently gotten into a bit harsher metal than I used to like. There's a group called Ensiferum that is pretty awesome, used to I'd never listen to them.

Since it's been so long since the last round of posts, anyone listened to any new metal lately that they thought was good?

PostPosted: Wed 02-04-2009 1:32AM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
Those that like Country and Metal should probably check out Hank Williams III. He's got a bunch of live shows up on archive.org. Normally he does one set of country, one rockabilly/hellbilly, and one metal, so those looking to expand their musical tastes into other genres might consider checking him out as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next