Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 1:41PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Deer Hunting
PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 1:36PM 
Major General

Source: Somewhere On Campus
Was on FB and saw berto's status and it kinda sparked a debate I wanted to see on seek.

Berto's Facebook Status at 12:25am November 20 wrote:
Berto is semi-sad that people are posting pics of their deer hunting. Maybe I'll hunt you for sport.

Berto wrote:
Well I don't like seeing animals shot to be mounted. I roll with the native-american type thinking: food and useful items only.

Alex Fetters at 10:49am November 20 wrote:
What about population control? Deer hunting definitely serves a good purpose. Would you rather more motorist hit deers? Anyways most of the hunters I know make jerky from their kills.

Berto Murillo at 11:47am November 20 wrote:
So by your theory, I _should_ hunt humans because of population control?

Alex Fetters at 1:27pm November 20 wrote:
I would allow you to hunt people that run around naked, jump in front of cars and then have their brains overloaded by the bright lights.
We're higher functioning than any deer will hope to be, and that puts us higher on the food chain.
There's more to the population control than just reducing motor accidents. Crops can be harmed, eco systems thrown off balance. The benefits of deer hunting far outweigh any disadvantages.

Post subject: Re: Deer Hunting
PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:01PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Holtman Hall
I would allow you to hunt people that run around naked, jump in front of cars and then have their brains overloaded by the bright lights.
We're higher functioning than any deer will hope to be, and that puts us higher on the food chain.
There's more to the population control than just reducing motor accidents. Crops can be harmed, eco systems thrown off balance. The benefits of deer hunting far outweigh any disadvantages.

Do you really want to pull this argument?

Yeah, they run around naked... because they have fur to cover their body. Yes, they jump in front of cars, I can't argue that. And we are higher functioning and are higher on the food chain, but that doesn't mean we should kill for sport. Lions don't go running around killing animals to mount them on their designated tree. They are higher on the food chain, so why does your logic not apply? And as for pulling the "<insert miscellaneous item here> can be harmed" argument, I should once again hunt humans according to you. We hurt this planet more than help it. We hurt each other more than we help each other. So I should, in essence, be able to hunt any person I want by the standards you've set.

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:06PM 
awesome yet humble

Source: Fidelity

And then, the monkey died.

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:08PM 
Lieutenant

berto wrote:

Do you really want to pull this argument?

Yeah, they run around naked... because they have fur to cover their body. Yes, they jump in front of cars, I can't argue that. And we are higher functioning and are higher on the food chain, but that doesn't mean we should kill for sport. Lions don't go running around killing animals to mount them on their designated tree. They are higher on the food chain, so why does your logic not apply? And as for pulling the "<insert miscellaneous item here> can be harmed" argument, I should once again hunt humans according to you. We hurt this planet more than help it. We hurt each other more than we help each other. So I should, in essence, be able to hunt any person I want by the standards you've set.

I am a Native American and even I am calling you a bitch on this one, shut up, people like to hunt, they eat it, so what. You eat chicken strips at lunch everyday.....MURDERER!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:12PM 
Major

Source: RC II
North Croatian deer goulash
This goulash is very nice and heavy meal, suitable for winter period. Usually we use roe-deer (female, preferably young) because meat is tender. You can use second class parts of meat, muscles. We also put flour noodles, but you can put potato pieces in it. If you put flour noodles in it, they must be small.

North Croatian deer goulash Ingredients
1000 g deer (no bones)
5 cloves (whole)
100 g bacon (pancetta)
5 g juniper berries
250 g onion
5 g thyme (dried)
40 g lard (or oil)
2 cups beef stock (or game stock)
2 teaspoons paprika (red dry, grounded)
2 cups red wine
1 ½ teaspoons hot paprika (red dry, grounded)
2 teaspoons salt
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon pepper

Instructions for North Croatian deer goulash
If you have old deer it is recommended to keep the meat one day in marinade (wine and seasoning: put all seasoning into gauze cloth and make a small bag). If you have young deer this is not necessary. Sauté finely minced onion on lard until becomes translucent. Chop the meat into small pieces (2 – 3 cm large) and add into pot with onion. Add very finely minced pancetta. Sauté until meat becomes grayish. Add paprika, salt and pepper and mix all together. Add wine and seasoning bag and cook on easy fire about 15 minutes. Add game stock and cook 60 minutes. If you are putting potato than use two medium large potatoes, peal them and cut into small cubes and put into goulash. Cook until potato is done. If you are putting flour noodles first cook them separately until they start to flow on surface, than put them into goulash and cook until done (about 20 minutes). Serve in bowl and eat with spoon.

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:13PM 
Brigadier General

netadptr0719 wrote:
I am a Native American and even I am calling you a bitch on this one, shut up, people like to hunt, they eat it, so what. You eat chicken strips at lunch everyday.....MURDERER!

That isn't the argument I'm making. Had you read my first post, you'd clearly notice that I don't mind when people use it for food and other useful items. I do mind when people do it just for sport though, and I do know people that do it just to mount the head and waste the body.

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:15PM 
awesome yet humble

berto wrote:
netadptr0719 wrote:

That isn't the argument I'm making. Had you read my first post, you'd clearly notice that I don't mind when people use it for food and other useful items. I do mind when people do it just for sport though, and I do know people that do it just to mount the head and waste the body.

just out of curiousity, what do you think people do with the decapitated body of a dead deer? throw it in a dumpster?

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:21PM 
Brigadier General

el_lorenzo wrote:
berto wrote:
netadptr0719 wrote:

just out of curiousity, what do you think people do with the decapitated body of a dead deer? throw it in a dumpster?

I think you guys are misconstruing my opinion and are hearing that EVERYONE does this. That is not the case but people have left bodies in fields and other miscellaneous places. I know this because I've seen it.

But here is my question for you, what do you think they do with deer hit on the side of the road?

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:25PM 
Lieutenant

berto wrote:
I think you guys are misconstruing my opinion and are hearing that EVERYONE does this. That is not the case but people have left bodies in fields and other miscellaneous places. I know this because I've seen it.

But here is my question for you, what do you think they do with deer hit on the side of the road?

Well, if you admit that not everyone does it then where is the problem, don't bitch that it is deer season bitch that stupid people are stupid.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:28PM 
Brigadier General

netadptr0719 wrote:
berto wrote:

Well, if you admit that not everyone does it then where is the problem, don't bitch that it is deer season bitch that stupid people are stupid.

Wtf, from the get-go I said what my problem with it was. You should be able to conclude from everything I said to back my status that I wasn't aiming at deer season.

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:30PM 
Lieutenant

berto wrote:
netadptr0719 wrote:
berto wrote:

Wtf, from the get-go I said what my problem with it was. You should be able to conclude from everything I said to back my status that I wasn't aiming at deer season.

I like deer jerky.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:36PM 
awesome yet humble

berto wrote:
el_lorenzo wrote:

I understand that you're not accusing everybody of doing this. I know I don't, but that's primarily because I haven't actually gotten a deer when i went hunting (last week was my first time out), and I know that the guy I went with doesn't do it either. I've seen evidence of it too. I've found deer skulls in the woods that had obvious saw marks where a guy sawed off the antlers and left the skull. I know that it's the wrong thing to do, thus I don't do it, nor do I ever plan on doing so.

Deer on the side of the road? As far as I know, there's a dept of the dept of transportation or some animal group that picks up the dead carcasses... idk what they do with them. but is that really similar? I mean, it's not like people hit deer on purpose to use as trophies. I don't see decapitated deer on the side of the road. If a person hits a deer on accident, do you really expect people to dispose of the carcass? Put it in their trunk and bring it home to make deerburgers with? That seems a bit much

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:47PM 
Brigadier General

el_lorenzo wrote:
Deer on the side of the road? As far as I know, there's a dept of the dept of transportation or some animal group that picks up the dead carcasses... idk what they do with them. but is that really similar? I mean, it's not like people hit deer on purpose to use as trophies. I don't see decapitated deer on the side of the road. If a person hits a deer on accident, do you really expect people to dispose of the carcass? Put it in their trunk and bring it home to make deerburgers with? That seems a bit much

That wasn't my point. My point was that there are ways of disposing the body. I assumed your initial question was meant to insinuate that people still use the body. My question was to say that you can dispose of a deer carcass without using the body.

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:51PM 
awesome yet humble

berto wrote:
el_lorenzo wrote:

That wasn't my point. My point was that there are ways of disposing the body. I assumed your initial question was meant to insinuate that people still use the body. My question was to say that you can dispose of a deer carcass without using the body.

Are you telling me there's a way to do that or asking if there is? If there is, is that really better than just leaving it there for the animals to scavenge? To let the carcass completely go to waste?

PostPosted: Thu 11-20-2008 2:59PM 
Major General

Source: Beta Sigma Psi
Could someone give me some deer jerky? I have none :(

Profile E-mail