Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:14AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Needing advice for a new Graphic Card!
PostPosted: Sat 12-20-2008 10:57AM 
Captain

Source: Fidelity
Because I think a thirty dollar card (six months ago) doesn't cut it anymore, I'm looking for a new one. Of course, me being rather ignorant of such things, I would like some advice on what card I need. I would be happy to NOT spend over sixty bucks, please. I just want to play Spore and Neverwinter Nights 2 on nice settings, not run Oblivion/Crysis on its highest specs. Bonus points for extra monitor out/S-video when I'm not gaming.

What I got in the rig - 460 Watt Power Supply (hooked up to everything, has two harddrives in it now), this MOBO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128337 (there is nothing in the expansion slots except for the current card), 2.2 Duo Core Processor, and this is the current card - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6814127273

Thanks! :D

Post subject: Re: Needing advice for a new Graphic Card!
PostPosted: Sat 12-20-2008 4:15PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
I'd personally go with a Radeon HD 4670, as it's basically a 4800series card that's been crippled. It's just over $60 if you shop around for the right one, but its only ~10 more than the 4650, and apparently worth every penny.

If you want to stick with nVidia for whatever reason (ex - driver/linux support, or since thats what you already have), then a 9600GT is pretty much the only thing under a hundred bucks that will tie with a Radeon 4600 card. This Gigabyte is also passively cooled (same as your current card), but its a 2-slot, cooler, and that is going to put out quite a bit of heat. The 9600 Cards also require a 6-pin power supply hookup. With your current PS, and computer - that's going to be pushing it.

Like I said - I'd go with the 4670. It doesn't require external power, and is a pretty good card. Some of them have integrated HDMI. Just make sure to pick one out with a decent HSF - a la - don't just spring for the cheapest one. A couple of those have heatsinks that look like they only cool the gpu core, and not the memory (which could lead to overheating), but that's just my personal opinion on picking out a card with a good HSF, and not anything bad reflecting on the 4670s. Once you've had to deal with bad cooling - you're always willing to pay just a little more to get a card with a quality cooler.

Post subject: Re: Needing advice for a new Graphic Card!
PostPosted: Mon 12-22-2008 7:22PM 
Commakazi
Commakazi

Source: Off Campus
The 4670 is very nice. I bought one for my roomate and it runs CoD: W@W like a dream which means it will easily run your stuff.