* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 4:21PM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Problems with Fidelity
PostPosted: Thu 01-15-2009 9:01PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
I don't think verizon operates in MO at all. They were one of the baby bells split up from ATT in the eighties. Southwesten Bell (the baby bell that eventually grew up into SBC to take over Ma Bell - the old ATT) had control of this area. Verizon would have to buy a smaller local telecom to needle in here. Plus they're not interested in us - they're actiually selling off lots of capital in upstate NY and just focusing on highly developed areas. They make a lot of money running one cable to an apartment building with 50 tenants, but running 50 lines to serve a neighborhood is considered too expensive.

And they won't support FTTN like u-verse. The way their fiber network runs is less like a teleco and more like a cableco.

PostPosted: Mon 01-19-2009 10:28PM 
post whore
post whore

Thought I'd bitch in here.

We've got fidelity. Have the 5mb / 512kb package. We've been getting terrible latency when the connection is in use. I originally thought it was roommates torrenting - ddwrt bandwidth charts showed us using400-600kbps up almost all the time. Killed all torrents in the house, confirmed that we're using 0 bandwidth both ways, then started downloading via Usenet. Usenet downloads get to about 1.5mb and jump between 1mb and 1.5mb, all the while destroying latency on the connection.

We're running ddwrt on the router, and it was fine last semester. We've tried turning QoS on/off, resetting everything, etc and can't get decent speeds/latency. This morning, we bypassed the router and the speeds were dandy - around 4.5mb and 500kbps respectively. Haven't tried bypassing the router right now to see if the same issues are happening, but at the moment I'm blaming fidelity.

Good thing I don't play games online, otherwise the latency issues would really suck - I can live with webpages taking 30-45 seconds to respond... but not for too much longer :(

PostPosted: Mon 01-19-2009 11:21PM 
Drowning

we have been having some intermittent latency issues also

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-19-2009 11:39PM 
post whore
post whore

Bypassed the router;

Down: < 1.2 mbps
Up: ~450 kbps

Latency during tests jumps up a lot, with some dropped/timed out.

PostPosted: Mon 01-19-2009 11:41PM 
Major General

benm wrote:

We've got fidelity. Have the 5mb / 512kb package. We've been getting terrible latency when the connection is in use. I originally thought it was roommates torrenting - ddwrt bandwidth charts showed us using400-600kbps up almost all the time. Killed all torrents in the house, confirmed that we're using 0 bandwidth both ways, then started downloading via Usenet. Usenet downloads get to about 1.5mb and jump between 1mb and 1.5mb, all the while destroying latency on the connection.

We're running ddwrt on the router, and it was fine last semester. We've tried turning QoS on/off, resetting everything, etc and can't get decent speeds/latency. This morning, we bypassed the router and the speeds were dandy - around 4.5mb and 500kbps respectively. Haven't tried bypassing the router right now to see if the same issues are happening, but at the moment I'm blaming fidelity.

Good thing I don't play games online, otherwise the latency issues would really suck - I can live with webpages taking 30-45 seconds to respond... but not for too much longer :(

Try pinging Google or something like that (Google's always a good bet since they've got crazy redundancy and the servers would still be running perfectly in the event of nuclear holocaust) and see what your ping times are. It might not be latency. I noticed that Fidelity's DNS servers are shit and sometimes take forever to return results which makes webpages take forever to respond. Try switching to OpenDNS if your ping times are fine but your webpage loading times suck.

PostPosted: Tue 01-20-2009 12:21AM 
post whore
post whore

devil wrote:
benm wrote:

Try pinging Google or something like that (Google's always a good bet since they've got crazy redundancy and the servers would still be running perfectly in the event of nuclear holocaust) and see what your ping times are. It might not be latency. I noticed that Fidelity's DNS servers are shit and sometimes take forever to return results which makes webpages take forever to respond. Try switching to OpenDNS if your ping times are fine but your webpage loading times suck.

ping google.com -t is what I've been using.