Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 2:46AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Campus wifi and mobile phone
PostPosted: Thu 03-19-2009 6:10PM 
Lieutenant

Source: MST-PSK Wireless
I just got a new mobile phone (Samsung Epix) that has built in Wifi, so the first thing I did was register the MAC address with campus. When I am at home (fraternity house) I can connect to and use both my personal wireless network and the house network that campus installed just fine. Both networks use WPA-personal with TKIP. When I go up to campus buildings my phone can see the MST-PSK and MST-WPA networks and can connect to the MST-PSK just fine. After a few minutes of web browsing, however, it loses the connection and can't get it back. It just sits there and tries to cycle through all available networks without being able to connect. I've double checked the security settings with those on my laptop (which works fine running Vista) and they are all the same. I can understand the MST-WPA not working because I don't have the certificate installed on my phone, but can anybody explain why the MST-PSK is failing? Oh, and if I power cycle the entire phone it works again for a few minutes then quits.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Campus wifi and mobile phone
PostPosted: Thu 03-19-2009 6:12PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Fidelity
peeps wrote:
I just got a new mobile phone (Samsung Epix) that has built in Wifi, so the first thing I did was register the MAC address with campus. When I am at home (fraternity house) I can connect to and use both my personal wireless network and the house network that campus installed just fine. Both networks use WPA-personal with TKIP. When I go up to campus buildings my phone can see the MST-PSK and MST-WPA networks and can connect to the MST-PSK just fine. After a few minutes of web browsing, however, it loses the connection and can't get it back. It just sits there and tries to cycle through all available networks without being able to connect. I've double checked the security settings with those on my laptop (which works fine running Vista) and they are all the same. I can understand the MST-WPA not working because I don't have the certificate installed on my phone, but can anybody explain why the MST-PSK is failing? Oh, and if I power cycle the entire phone it works again for a few minutes then quits.

What building are you in or does this happen everywhere? In comp-sci even with my laptop I can only get on MST-public or whatever that one is called.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 03-19-2009 6:16PM 
Lieutenant

Source: Tau Kappa Epsilon
cmptrnrd16 wrote:
What building are you in or does this happen everywhere? In comp-sci even with my laptop I can only get on MST-public or whatever that one is called.

It has happened in Comp Sci and HSS (the only two buildings I have class in this semester). I do have the same problem with my laptop in Comp Sci though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 03-20-2009 9:15PM 
Corporal

Source: Off Campus
i have an ipod touch that randomly loses connection in different buildings. sometimes it fires right up and connects and other times i have to go in and re-enter some of the information. i think it's just the issue of a lot of devices connecting to a lot of different sub-networks that each of the different buildings have.

if you can get the certificate accepted on your phone it might be worth it to try to get on the wpa connection; that's what i use on my itouch and it's stable a good percentage of the time, and doesn't have random drops as youve described. i can even walk from building to building around campus without too much issue most of the time.

PostPosted: Thu 03-26-2009 12:15AM 
Colonel

Really? I dont have much of a problem. I mostly troll havener and the rolla building.

PostPosted: Thu 03-26-2009 8:51AM 
Brigadier General

calculusninja wrote:
Really? I dont have much of a problem. I mostly troll havener and the rolla building.

Troll? Image

Profile E-mail