Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 5:50AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Purchase ammo in Rolla
PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 7:16PM 
Colonel

Source: Fidelity
I did a quick search of the forums and didn't come up with anything although I'm sure its in there somewhere. Where is the best place to purchase ammo in town? I got a little .380 for xmas and shot all of my rounds up.

Post subject: Re: Purchase ammo in Rolla
PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 10:25PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
I'm sure the Rolla PD will be selling off their surplus shortly.

The only places I've seen ammo in Rolla is the gun store/tombstone shop on south 63 and Walmart. I'm sure there's other shops that I'm missing at the moment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 11:26PM 
Colonel

if Rolla PD sells their stores, how will it be announced? although I'm sure i'll be on seek.

PostPosted: Mon 01-11-2010 11:35PM 
Brigadier General

Source: Off Campus
I was kidding about them selling ammo. I doubt they'll sell it due to regulations and laws. The guns will most likely be destroyed also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 01-12-2010 8:44AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Holtman Hall
You have a few options:

WalMart - This is a lucky shot in the dark as to what they will have. The stock they have has been coming up, but I have not seen much in the way of pistol calibers in a while. Very hit or miss on a day to day basis.

Rolla Gun Store - This is the gun shop/tombstone place south on 63. If you have too much money and/or are off your rocker (which I am not sure since you have a .380...) then the old guy in sweatpants will be of great help to you. His prices are high, as in higher than Bass Pro or Cabela's (which are way too high to begin with usually). He tends to have a decent stock, but I cannot seem to bring myself to deal with him anymore.

Smokey Acres Trading Co. - This place is a privately run cabin out Highway BB (take 10th and keep going west). Ralphie and his wife own a shop that pretty much always has ammo, and his prices are average. During the height of the ammo scare he was still decent in prices and inventory. He has a wall full of ammo in calibers you typically don't see unless you end up in a larger city with real shops. This is where I would suggest going if WalMart does not have any. Be aware that he is not a guy that will help those who refuse to help themself (clueless gun people, liberal fruits and nuts, etc).

Go Online - There are many good websites that carry and sell ammo online for decent prices. Depending on how much you are getting, shipping can be good or bad for you.

Get rid of the .380 - Go to a different caliber all together, one which possibly can be found more often or a heck of a lot cheaper. 9mm or 45ACP has a higher production and is more readily available and in turn is a lot cheaper.

Reload - Build your own ammo or find a guy who reloads your caliber. Properly reloaded ammo is not only more accurate, it can also be much much cheaper.

Gun Shows - Pay your $5-10 to go in, look around at the jacked up AR and Glock prices, and hopefully find what you are looking for and possibly stuff you didn't intend to buy but did anyways. Columbia, STL, KC, and Springfield have shows quite often, and I have been to shows in smaller towns around here too.

PostPosted: Tue 01-12-2010 8:59AM 
Colonel

Source: MST-WPA Wireless
SlyFlyGuy wrote:
If you have too much money and/or are off your rocker (which I am not sure since you have a .380...)

My pistol is a Kel-tec P-3AT, it is, in my opinion, one of the best pocket pistols in production and perfect for conceal and carry. It's small, light, durable, is surprisingly accurate, and with a 6+1 capacity it has a great carry capacity. Moving up to a 9mm or 45 ACP would just be over excessive for my intentions, if you disagree that is your opinion.

as for the reloading, my father does it, but he lives 2 hours away and we don't have a large store of .380 brass. So when I go to the range, I sweep up before I shoot then pick up my brass for reloading. When if I didn't know someone who did, I am a student who doesn't have the capital, space, or time to commit to the necessary equipment to reload myself.

I understand people have preferences for different calibers and rounds, but this round is ideal for the purpose it serves me. To me, your post makes you sound pretty ignorant.

PostPosted: Wed 01-13-2010 8:45AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

dar9q7 wrote:
SlyFlyGuy wrote:
If you have too much money and/or are off your rocker (which I am not sure since you have a .380...)

My pistol is a Kel-tec P-3AT, it is, in my opinion, one of the best pocket pistols in production and perfect for conceal and carry. It's small, light, durable, is surprisingly accurate, and with a 6+1 capacity it has a great carry capacity. Moving up to a 9mm or 45 ACP would just be over excessive for my intentions, if you disagree that is your opinion.

as for the reloading, my father does it, but he lives 2 hours away and we don't have a large store of .380 brass. So when I go to the range, I sweep up before I shoot then pick up my brass for reloading. When if I didn't know someone who did, I am a student who doesn't have the capital, space, or time to commit to the necessary equipment to reload myself.

I understand people have preferences for different calibers and rounds, but this round is ideal for the purpose it serves me. To me, your post makes you sound pretty ignorant.

Calling him ignorant is kind of overkill here. You posted a problem, and he posted a possible, if non-ideal, solution to your problem. I have a 9mm Mauser that is very difficult to find rounds for, not to mention expensive. I wouldn't trade it in for a 30-30 or other more common caliber rifle because this one has a history, but it is still a possibility. You were doing a great job of keeping your post neutral and respectful until that last line. Neither he, nor I, know what your intentions are for that weapon, and to assume anyone who doesn't know you outside here would know without you explicitly saying so is silly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 01-13-2010 9:21AM 
Colonel

Saying that I may have too much money or am off my rocker was out of hand. I appreciated the actual response with locations, but I took it as him making an implication that having a pistol that shot 9mm kurz rounds was a stupid decision to make. .380s are not a wholly uncommon round.

PostPosted: Wed 01-13-2010 9:49AM 
Lieutenant

Source: Holtman Hall
I in no way intended it to mean you were stupid to own one or anything along those lines. .380 arms are everywhere because people are pushing them on the market. You possess an arm that might be hard to feed, which is your bed to lay in. I was informing you that the choice you made might be a harder road to take.

I was and still am not sure how informed you are of the situation and atmosphere in the ammo and arms market at the moment and in the future. When an arm is offered in .380 and 9mm, are practically the same size (within partials of an inch), why one would purchase the .380 stumps me, as that is a more costly and more difficult venture. Testing shows the 9mm is more effective, 9mm is offered in more variations, and is by far more widely found in stores and shops nation wide. There are very few .380 self defense rounds out there compared to the 9mm, and you claim it is for CCW. While I do agree something is better than nothing, the facts are the facts.
How hard is it to find .380 right now compared to 9mm? What is the cost difference? What are you gaining by taking that few millimeters of the case length?

If this was a gift for the holidays, then you got a cool gift. I hope you have fun with it and can find some affordable rounds.

PostPosted: Fri 02-26-2010 1:06AM 
Major

I dont think that gun store is there anymore. You can try Ruby's guns in Sullivan.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 02-26-2010 7:39AM 
Brigadier General

lunchbox88 wrote:
I dont think that gun store is there anymore. You can try Ruby's guns in Sullivan.

They moved, not sure where.

http://web.umr.edu/~ikellogg/heretic%5E-owls.gif

PostPosted: Fri 02-26-2010 1:32PM 
Lieutenant

Wow, I'm surprised and pleased to see a gun thread on Seek.

As for online purchases, keep in mind that that information is tracked by the Fed-Gov. This is the sole reason I've found to not purchase online. If that isn't an issue for you, CheaperThanDirt.com is a good place to start.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how the .380 is an unusual caliber. I have a Colt MKIV Pocketlite chambered in .380 and, so far, have had no trouble finding rounds at my local WalMart (Owensville). However, the gun shoots like crap, has a poor grip, and the worst feed of any semi-auto I own. The only reason I've held onto it is because it's worth about 4 times what I paid for it new (way back in the Pleistocene era, aka "the '80's").

But then again, prior to the ammo scare, I was in the habit of buying 1 or 2 boxes of ammo for various firearms every payday. Needless to say my household is pretty well stocked.

BTW, anyone have a recommendation for a good place to shoot around Rolla? Or would anyone be interested in getting together for some plinking? **mods, please move this last bit to its own thread at your discretion**

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-01-2010 8:26AM 
Brigadier General

HiTechRedneck wrote:
But then again, prior to the ammo scare, I was in the habit of buying 1 or 2 boxes of ammo for various firearms every payday. Needless to say my household is pretty well stocked.

With FMJ or cheap hollowpoints, maybe. But you can't get good self-defense ammo locally. I figure by the time you get a CCW or become politically active, you're already on the list.

I don't believe they track that information, but I'm sure if they wanted to they could pull up credit card receipts from your bank or purchase lists from the vendor any time they wanted. I don't think they do that yet, but the potential is there. Of course, they could just see you posting online and know you have ammo anyway.

Anyway, to go shooting, I am a member of the Rolla Shooting Club. $120/yr for a family membership that covers everyone in my household. You can pay $100/yr for just yourself. It's a good deal, they have a locked gate (you get a key) behind which is a 50 yd. pistol range, a dozen or more shotgun stations, and a 200 yd. rifle range. The pistol and rifle shooting stations are covered, and there is a bathroom accessible with your key.

PostPosted: Mon 03-01-2010 8:38AM 
Lieutenant

Cash, man...cash. :wink:

And yeah, I have my CCW here in Mo and worked law enforcement back in Texas for a bit, so I'm definitely on the list, fingerprints and all. FWIW, I buy good ol' fashioned Winchester Silvertip HPs, and no, you aren't gonna find those at Mega-Lo Mart. It's not close, but the gun store in Rosebud, MO is a pretty good place to shop. Bill isn't cheap but he does stock some of the odder rounds. There's also the Osage County guns just east of Belle, MO. There's another place down in Salem (can't recall the name), too.

So, yeah, you can find stuff locally, you just have to be willing (or able) to put the city limit of Rolla sign in your rearview mirror.

Thanks for the Rolla gun club info, but I was hoping for a public range? I know there's one down by the Huzzah south of Leasburg, but I don't know if there's anything closer to Rolla.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-01-2010 10:13AM 
Brigadier General

Source: MST Wireless
HiTechRedneck wrote:
Cash, man...cash. :wink:

And yeah, I have my CCW here in Mo and worked law enforcement back in Texas for a bit, so I'm definitely on the list, fingerprints and all. FWIW, I buy good ol' fashioned Winchester Silvertip HPs, and no, you aren't gonna find those at Mega-Lo Mart. It's not close, but the gun store in Rosebud, MO is a pretty good place to shop. Bill isn't cheap but he does stock some of the odder rounds. There's also the Osage County guns just east of Belle, MO. There's another place down in Salem (can't recall the name), too.

So, yeah, you can find stuff locally, you just have to be willing (or able) to put the city limit of Rolla sign in your rearview mirror.

Thanks for the Rolla gun club info, but I was hoping for a public range? I know there's one down by the Huzzah south of Leasburg, but I don't know if there's anything closer to Rolla.

As far as public ranges, there's a few, but you had better bring a friend to watch your back for methed out hillbillies while you're shooting. Some of the folks who wandered by while I was shooting out there really made me glad I never went alone.

And Winchester Silvertips are not particularly good performers. For a list of the best, see here. The Silvertip is very old technology, it is the round that failed to penetrate sufficiently in the 1986 FBI shootout in Miami, and caused the FBI to look for a more powerful round than 9mm. Today, we have the FBI report on handgun wounding factors and effectiveness which I highly recommend you read if you are serious about self defense. The list of ammo I linked above is a list of ammo compiled by professionals who have evaluated the ammo and determined that it meets the FBI specs for self-defense ammo. In a nutshell, self-defense ammo must (in order of importance):

* penetrate at least 12" in ballistic gelatin (enough to reach the vitals after penetrating through an arm, which is a very common hit location in gunfights)
* hollowpoint must expand on bare gelatin
* hollowpoint must expand on gelatin clothed in 4 layers of denim

And ideally, it would also have the following characteristics:
* ability to crack heavy bones such as the pelvis
* ability to penetrate intermediate barriers (including car doors at various angles, and windshield glass)
* ability to expand and penetrate sufficiently after penetrating those intermediate barriers