Home Forums Gamescan Chat42 About
* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 10:25AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Alan Ellis Acquitted
PostPosted: Fri 01-15-2010 11:40PM 
Major General

Source: Off Campus
Alan Ellis, founder of OiNK, was found not guilty and is finally a free man. I doubt this means OiNK will come back, but some good replacements have popped up in its place.

http://torrentfreak.com/oink-admin-foun ... ee-100115/

This should be a lesson to the RIAA and their British counterparts....if you shut down a major torrent site, no less than two other torrent sites will be created to take its place and the owner of the site will walk free.

Post subject: Re: Alan Ellis Acquitted
PostPosted: Sat 01-16-2010 1:30AM 
bertowned
bertowned

I don't know that he exactly got off free. Did he get compensated for the loss of his job? Who paid his legal fees? I can't even begin to measure the personal cost of such a stressful and life-consuming trial.

Glad he's free, but until the industry, and justice system(s) learn that you can't bully people just because you have more money, I still consider any verdict not good enough. I want to see the IFPI suffer financially for this verdict. I'm sure as far as the big wigs are concerned, they just paid the police and a team of lawyers to basically wreck a mans life. Even if they don't recoup their losses, they'll keep bullying as long as they think the money is worth the trouble you'll suffer

PostPosted: Sat 01-16-2010 3:23AM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

amd2800barton wrote:
Even if they don't recoup their losses, they'll keep bullying as long as they think the money is worth the trouble you'll suffer

qft

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 01-16-2010 10:57AM 
Major General

amd2800barton wrote:
I don't know that he exactly got off free. Did he get compensated for the loss of his job? Who paid his legal fees? I can't even begin to measure the personal cost of such a stressful and life-consuming trial.

Glad he's free, but until the industry, and justice system(s) learn that you can't bully people just because you have more money, I still consider any verdict not good enough. I want to see the IFPI suffer financially for this verdict. I'm sure as far as the big wigs are concerned, they just paid the police and a team of lawyers to basically wreck a mans life. Even if they don't recoup their losses, they'll keep bullying as long as they think the money is worth the trouble you'll suffer

True, that is a good point, I guess he'll never really be "free" like he was before he was arrested, but at least he won't be spending any time in jail or forced to pay millions more in fines.