It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 3:16AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pope Urges Priests To Go Forth and Blog
PostPosted: Sun 01-24-2010 6:21PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: Off Campus
lulz @ title

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/01/24/1922211/Pope-Urges-Priests-To-Go-Forth-and-Blog?art_pos=3

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pope Urges Priests To Go Forth and Blog
PostPosted: Sun 01-24-2010 7:26PM 
Drowning

Ya because you can obviously change someone's mind on the internets. Oh wait...

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 01-25-2010 9:31PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

LostBoyz wrote:

... it wouldn't be the same without you i guess

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 02-19-2010 4:40PM 
Colonel

LostBoyz wrote:

+1

Although, some people (like me) aren't out to change minds, but to present other points of view for consideration. Get people to think a little. No harm in that :D

PostPosted: Fri 02-19-2010 5:41PM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
calculusninja wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:

+1

Although, some people (like me) aren't out to change minds, but to present other points of view for consideration. Get people to think a little. No harm in that :D

+1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 02-19-2010 6:26PM 
Drowning

except the spreading of religion is to get people to think less

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 02-22-2010 10:56PM 
Major

LostBoyz wrote:

doubt it

PostPosted: Mon 04-12-2010 9:57AM 
Colonel

LostBoyz wrote:

Can be good or bad. It just that the ones that are just trying to help without being forceful are really loosing the battle to those that are forceful for obvious reasons. Personally, I use it to think more and I've gotta say that it's fucking hard to find someone that I can talk to or hell, even just entertain a new idea.

PostPosted: Mon 04-12-2010 4:02PM 
Drowning

modernmystic wrote:
LostBoyz wrote:

Can be good or bad. It just that the ones that are just trying to help without being forceful are really loosing the battle to those that are forceful for obvious reasons. Personally, I use it to think more and I've gotta say that it's fucking hard to find someone that I can talk to or hell, even just entertain a new idea.

While the wording on that is terrible, there is no way to have a logical religious discussion because it is based on the opposite of logic. This is different from philosophical discussion where there are debatable insights to the world we live in. The only goal of religious discussion is indoctrination, whether this is for the good of people or control of the weak is up to the one doing the talking. The only form of close-mindedness that is detrimental is that to an idea that follows no logic.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 04-12-2010 9:40PM 
Colonel

Yeah, I've been a little off today as far as English skills and it'll only continue until I go to bed, but I wanted to at least throw out this idea. You are right in that if someone tried to take any religion as a whole and argue that it was all real, they'd most likely fail. So instead, I've tried to take the individual components that make up a simple religious belief and start from that perspective.
What if the same rules and foundations of a philosophical discussion could be applied to one of a religious direction. Say, the meaning of life. You almost have to find some common ground on the most basic level to build anything off of or otherwise you're almost bound to end up with a pointless argument since the two sides had nothing to agree upon in the first place. So assuming that say, each person's goal in life is something as simple (we're going with simple for the sake of, I'm tired and don't want to draw out all possible directions at the moment) as searching for happiness. For most, I would assume that this would be in the form of some resemblance of love in their life. Whether they find it in companionship, nature, their vocation, or devotion to a higher purpose or ideal, this is something that a person who wasn't trying to outright throw off the scales in pursuit of throwing off the scales or those that were unfortunate enough to never know what happiness is (which again, I would like to believe we could all agree is against our nature and is viewed as not a good thing), could relate to pretty easily. A few soul searches later and most people that I've talked with (all from atheist, agnostic, catholic, muslim, and a few others) will be forced to ask yourself where this ideal of love even comes from. From there, I've not found a way to prove through logic any solution for this. At this point, it seems to usually come down to what you choose to believe and see where you go from there.

Now, I tried to avoid any absolutes and a lot of people here are probably ready to jump on me for some assumption or another, but I'd like to put in one more thing to this end. I've tried to keep my assumptions A) a reasonable (yes, subjective-this is where open discussion comes in) jump that could easily be argued without any exaggeration or twisting of words, and B) in line with the main thought of the discussion.

This wasn't an attempt to prove that love is the purpose of all life (though I usually end up somewhere nearby), but instead an example of how logic with an honest mind can actually work with religion (and more precisely, the characteristics that make up any given religion).

Please excuse the horrible grammar. Now it's off to bed to get up at 5 for another 11 hour day. ugh And oh, don't give up your logic. If you can incorporate the different aspects of the human condition into logic in a similar fashion, then you can understand almost anyone's situation (with a good imagination to boot) if not completely and makes you all right in my book.

PostPosted: Tue 04-13-2010 11:54AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

modernmystic wrote:
stuff

I'd say that almost all of that sounds very reasonable.

Diving in very much further gets you into the realms of theology and stuff, which is mostly based on personal interpretations from each person's experiences, studies, and environment.

It can still be a very interesting discussion, but, as you said, only if those participating have a familiar ground on which to base their statements.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-13-2010 4:41PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

stfu douchebags. jesus luz u

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-13-2010 5:37PM 
Drowning

modernmystic wrote:
stuff

I can say that I can respect you for having that type of 'take a step back and think about it' view on it. That has been my preaching for quite sometime. The bible or any other religious book, parable, or moral story should never be taken literally or have a requirement to believe the words as fact. They are clues or an outline of thought to come to the conclusion of how to live your life. If you need those guidelines to get by, so be it. In the end it still comes down to how you think you should live your life. Believing in a made up deity, threats of hell, or a zombie that has come to save us all is just silly. When it comes down to it they are just views on philosophy like socrates, aristotle, or st. thomas aquinas. I still think that anyone is capable of forgoing all of this and just observe the world around you and your life failures and successes and choose how to move on. I have also said before that the only remaining benefits to belonging to a certain faith is a sense of community and volunteer-ism which both can be accomplished by other means.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 04-13-2010 6:06PM 
Major

I think we all know what this thread is lacking.

PostPosted: Tue 04-13-2010 9:18PM 
Colonel

Cylord wrote:
I think we all know what this thread is lacking.

A blank image box named raptor-jesus.jpg? What about sockbaby?

As for shadow, lostboyz, and yes, even zero, thank you. I seriously did not expect that sort of reaction from the seek goers, but I'm happy to to have been shot down in that respect. And I've gotta agree with you Lost on your approach to any religious text. No matter what the personal outcome we each get from them, I have to respect a person that gave an truly honest go at it.

I've gotta say that throughout the majority of the time I was in rolla, I found only a few that could set aside their beliefs enough to even think of another perspective and most of those ended up dropping out for one reason or another.

If anyone is interested in a few things that may at least get you thinking (since it all seems like we agree the point where I left off is a very personal thing and this whole discussion has gotten me in a particular sharing mood), here's a few big things that I usually go back to when I'm feeling lost. Oddly enough, there was a very good argument on the Opera forums a while ago (in the philosophy section) about the necessity for a god-like figure in humanity that I think some of you might find interesting in one way or another. If I find it, I'll link it. Otherwise, the other big area that I've noticed the mention for a need for a higher power is in any support group like AA. I think it's step three, but either way it's very provoking how it's so intertwined. The book Spirituality of Imperfections does a good job covering the whole thought process behind AA and if I remember right, it doesn't really mention God much at all. Especially since it quotes philosophers, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, etc, which don't exactly agree on everything.

And oh, I just met someone that knew of Charlie the unicorn today, but had never seen the Ultimate Showdown. I think I lost a little hope for humanity. And Mr. Rogers was never in the military. :)