It is currently Thu 03-28-2024 9:42AM

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: newegg ships fake i7 procs
PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 12:19PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: VPN
Worseley wrote:
No demo box's would have typos on the box, fake security labels (or even real barcodes). This was a simple scam that someone did when intercepting their shipment. Newegg doesn't want to be known as a online seller who sells these, so they said what they needed to and are probably cooperating with authorities as this probably happened overseas before the shipment arrived in the states.

QFT

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 12:42PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus
So where are you two saying newegg went wrong again? A seller scammed them / a supplier sent the wrong item / a courier stole part of a shipment. They fully admitted that something went wrong, and from what it sounds like - are doing what they can to make sure their customers get taken care of.

Besides, its not like they just hoped no one would notice a fake processor. Some people may not fill out a rebate, or argue to get their rebate, but if your $300 processor is a demobox - you notice. I don't see where the conspiracy lies.

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 1:04PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: VPN
they made a PR statement lying about it. no one said anything about a conspiracy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 1:27PM 
Drowning

oh, so you know what happened then?

Who cares if they lied. If a package I had coming through fedex got lost, they re-imbursed or payed for a replacement, but they told me aliens stole it. I could care less as long as the mistake was solved. I don't know why you are nitpicking a verbal response rather than the physical one of them replacing the parts and investigating the matter.

Join us in IRC, irc.seek42.net

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 6:42PM 
Major General

LostBoyz wrote:
oh, so you know what happened then?

Who cares if they lied. If a package I had coming through fedex got lost, they re-imbursed or payed for a replacement, but they told me aliens stole it. I could care less as long as the mistake was solved. I don't know why you are nitpicking a verbal response rather than the physical one of them replacing the parts and investigating the matter.

QFT.

Maybe the shipment was tampered with between the factory and the distributor. Maybe it was between the distributor and NewEgg. But why do you care? It doesn't make any difference. NewEgg is working to make things right for the customers, and once this is all resolved, the only people getting screwed is NewEgg because they will likely have to eat the cost of the counterfeit CPUs.

I just don't see how NewEgg could be blamed for any part of this. Between their warehouses, they probably receive tens of thousands of items from distributors every day, and ship just as many back out to customers. There is just no way they can check everything to make sure it's fake, unless you want to pay twice as much for everything so they can hire a team of people to scan boxes for typos. Even if it was a NewEgg employee behind it, I wouldn't fault the company because even employees who passed background checks when hired can still do stupid shit, and if it was an inside job, I'm sure NewEgg will find who it is and at the very least fire them, and hopefully prosecute them.

BTW, this has nothing to do with "fanboyism." First off, I strongly disagree with the fact that being a frequent customer of a company that has the best prices and service makes you a fanboy. That definition would immediately make nearly everyone who lives in Rolla a Wal-Mart fanboy (well, at least on the prices part of it) and I think many of us would not consider ourselves Wal-Mart fanboys. Second, if the situation was reversed and it was Tiger Direct selling the fake procs, I bet everyone here who you are accusing of being NewEgg fanboys would stand behind and defend Tiger Direct.

Last edited by devil on Sun 03-07-2010 6:50PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 6:48PM 
Brigadier General

Either way, I still prefer newegg over tigerdirect. After getting burned to many times with rebates at T.D. I just go with the company that takes care of their customers, Newegg.

If anything, I'm more interested in seeing if this is a new trend/scam we're going to see more of.

Like someone mentioned in one of the other forums, if they payed $10 per fake box/mold/cpu/paper. They had over $3k invested in this scam. I really wouldn't doubt it if other companies also start seeing/getting these fake processors. Whoever did it has resources a little above the average electronics thief and obviously put allot of thought into this.

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 6:52PM 
Major General

Worseley wrote:
Either way, I still prefer newegg over tigerdirect. After getting burned to many times with rebates at T.D. I just go with the company that takes care of their customers, Newegg.

If anything, I'm more interested in seeing if this is a new trend/scam we're going to see more of.

Like someone mentioned in one of the other forums, if they payed $10 per fake box/mold/cpu/paper. They had over $3k invested in this scam. I really wouldn't doubt it if other companies also start seeing/getting these fake processors. Whoever did it has resources a little above the average electronics thief and obviously put allot of thought into this.

I dunno, intercepting a huge shipment like that can't be easy. It's not like any schmuck with a few grand and some technical knowledge can pull this off.

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 9:16PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

if I had to guess at who was responsible, I would say in all seriousness, some branch of the asian mob.

and about getting burned by tiger for MIR's, tiger didn't burn you, the manufacturer burned you. if you had payed attention when you were writing the envelope address you'd notice that your MIR has nothing to do with tiger. in addition to that, there are hella items on newegg with MIR's from the exact same manufacturers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 03-07-2010 11:24PM 
Major

zeroluck wrote:
if I had to guess at who was responsible, I would say in all seriousness, some branch of the asian mob.

and about getting burned by tiger for MIR's, tiger didn't burn you, the manufacturer burned you. if you had payed attention when you were writing the envelope address you'd notice that your MIR has nothing to do with tiger. in addition to that, there are hella items on newegg with MIR's from the exact same manufacturers.

Do you really believe even 1/4 of the bullshit that spews forth from your (fingers)? But hold that thought - I'll come back to that in a second

Here's a quick summary of this thread:
  1. Someone (or a group of someones) put some effort into an approximately $80k heist. Possibly due to their point of entry for the replicas, Newegg was the one on the receiving end of this scam. Chaos ensued.
  2. Newegg realized something was amiss and started opening lines of contact for their customers.
  3. The authorities almost definitely got involved. Since it's almost definitely an ongoing criminal investigation, no one should expect a full, direct disclosure of the details of this scam - both now and in the future (why fuel the fire for a second, possibly better planned heist in the future).
  4. Because Newegg never had any intentions to rip off many customers with such an obvious scam, company representatives were put in charge of handling special, expedited RMA requests - including a full refund if the customer would prefer that instead.
  5. Victims of said scam are now (or will shortly be) rejoicing with another successful resolution offered by Newegg's customer service department.
  6. Wild, elaborate theories are running rampant on forums as to exactly how the scammers pulled off this heist.
Anything else, and we're all just spinning our wheels in the same old dirt over and over.

Now, back to your latest words of brilliance. Specifically, your defense of TigerDirect's rebate process and your deflection of the rebate problems from Tiger to the manufacturer. I could argue with you, but that would just fuel the fire, so instead I'll let the masses argue with you.

I did a Google search for newegg rebate and got some random links to Newegg as well as some forums that seemed to suggest that a) they've either had good success with rebates from items purchased, or b) were angered with bad results but then later recanted, noting that customer service later helped them out.

I did a similar Google search for tigerdirect rebate and, on the first page, found links such as:

Quote:
Ripoff Report: OnRebate.com - TigerDirect Rebate Ripoff Dishonest ...
Jan 18, 2010 ... OnRebate.com - TigerDirect Rebate Ripoff Dishonest, deceptive, and unreasonable rebate policy Internet.

Ripoff Report: Tiger Direct rebate scam Internet
This site contains many, many reports of rebate scams perpetrated by Tiger Direct. I read reports here of competent people who comply with the rebate terms ..

Consumer complaints about Tiger Direct Rebates
Once again I was ripped off by Tiger Direct's phantom rebates. ... 1 from Sony and 1 from Tiger Direct. I got the rebate from Sony but I'm still waiting for ..

Consumer complaints about Tiger Direct
Problems with your rebate? Read Tiger Direct's suggestions. ... (which I had changed) I was to take this up with fraud from my CC company, end of story. ..

I'm not personally going to argue the point, because I've never been through the TigerDirect rebate process personally. I can, however, say that I've never not received a rebate on an item I purchased from Newegg. I'm simply letting the Google results fill in the gaps.

Mods: I'll offer you 3 - yes THREE - hot sauce packets and a spork if this thread gets locked.

PostPosted: Mon 03-08-2010 8:37AM 
Lieutenant General

Location: Oklahoma! Where the wind comes sweeping down the p l a i n s !

Source: Fidelity
Cylord wrote:
[

Mods: I'll offer you 3 - yes THREE - hot sauce packets and a spork if this thread gets locked.

Times like this make me wish I was a mod. I mean, 3 sauce packets! Now that's a bargain!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-08-2010 9:24AM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: MechE Building
Cylord wrote:
I did a similar Google search for tigerdirect rebate and, on the first page, found links such as:

while i won't argue the validity of your scientological data there, I will say the search function for mobo/cpu combos on newegg sucks (there is none), but the guided search function of newegg is much better than tiger's advanced search.

also, i'm looking for a dirt cheap dual core system mobo cpu combo with ram, if anyone has suggestions (on either tiger or newegg) let me know.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-08-2010 12:27PM 
Major

zeroluck wrote:
I will say the search function for mobo/cpu combos on newegg sucks (there is none)

Next?

PostPosted: Mon 03-08-2010 2:00PM 
Brigadier General

And for you information, the rebates I was screwed on with Tiger were direct rebates through Tigerdirect, not another company or manufacturer.

PostPosted: Mon 03-08-2010 2:33PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: IT Dept
Cylord wrote:
zeroluck wrote:
I will say the search function for mobo/cpu combos on newegg sucks (there is none)

Next?

WRONG. that is a list, not a search function. There is no way to sort the list it outputs other than scrolling from page to page.

Worseley: I would like to see ANY direct rebate to tiger -or- newegg. I have never seen one. not saying they don't exist, but I've done at least 20 rebates, and never mailed anything to anyone but a manufacturer or a 3rd party company that handles rebates for a manufacturer. Maybe the problem is you're confusing who is responsible for the rebate. It is common to blame the first people in reach, but you must understand that if the retailer is not responsible for the MIR, then they can't be blamed for the manufacturer.

It all comes down to
A. If you don't like rebates don't buy them, and
B. Don't buy shitty equipment from shitty manufacturers. Then, when you send a MIR to them, they will respond. If they don't, you contact them, just like you handle your warranty for your motherboard through the manufacturer after 90 days.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 03-08-2010 3:40PM 
Sergeant

Source: University Center
TigerDirect rebate

http://static.tigerdirect.com/rebates/EGA-7298.pdf