bertowned
bertowned

Source: Off Campus

Post subject: Re: Apple iPad
PostPosted: Wed 04-21-2010 12:06PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: MechE Building
you should have titled this post "this is the best known way to print from the iPad thus far"

a coworker sent that out last week with that title lulz

Linux and Macintosh, Eiskaltdc++, then adcs://hub.queue42.net

Last edited by zeroluck on Wed 04-28-2010 5:38PM, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 04-21-2010 12:41PM 
bertowned
bertowned

Source: Schrenk Hall
or its the first post on a new page in a thread discussing iPad dumbassery.

Post subject: ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG I CAN HAZ SUBJECT?!?!?!?!
PostPosted: Wed 04-21-2010 12:43PM 
Major General

I believe he meant the title to your post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 04-21-2010 3:02PM 
Major

Since iPad bashing is oh-so-much fun, I thought I'd post some back-and-forth that I've been participating in on a listserv. It's mostly K-12 IT directors/supervisors/etc., but there are also some Apple-certified (insert title here) as well.

Johnny wrote:
Apple hates flash, yeah yeah, we all know this. If HTML5 does everything apple claims it does in regards to replacing flash for interactive content then I see the days of flash dwindling everywhere.

Billy wrote:
I wonder how long it'll take to go into widespread adoption.

Me wrote:
Considering the amount of crap out there that doesn't even conform to the latest (final release) (X)HTML/CSS standards? Oh I don't know, maybe a decade or two.

Bob wrote:
I have a slightly different take on it.
When the Steve was first showing the iPad, there were plenty of sites that showed the lego block icon for missing a plug in. Including the NYT site. If you use an iPad now, many of those same sites have html5 video tags instead, including the NYT site.
The main thing is, most flash video is actually H.264 video in a flash wrapper. So it isn't hard for the sites to have the "unwrapped" video file as well. In fact I think that most sites will adopt a method where the default will be html5 with the <video> tag, and use flash as a fallback for browsers that don't support it.

Safari (on Mac, iPhone, iPad and Windows), Chrome, Firefox, and IE9 all support HTML5. As does any other WebKit browser.

Me wrote:
> If you use an iPad now, many of those same sites have html5 video tags instead, including the NYT site.

Well of course they do - they didn't want to look bad for their next Apple commercial/advertisement, now did they! Unfortunately, not every website that uses Flash and/or other elements that could benefit from HTML5 will get featured in an Apple advertisement, though, so I doubt development will be nearly as quick.

> Safari (on Mac, iPhone, iPad and Windows), Chrome, Firefox, and IE9 all support HTML5.

They also support HTML 4 and CSS (though IE supports less CSS than others)... and yet you still see plenty of sites out there using techniques/coding from the 90's (literally).

Am I glad that (something) is causing a trend to something like HTML5 rather than Flash? Definitely! Do I agree that this trend should be brought about by a single company selling products that don't even give you the option of something as widespread as Flash (a.k.a. "it's my way or the highway" type of stance)? Definitely not! I just wish there was a middle ground somewhere.

Can you tell which one was the Apple-certified fanb... person? (HINT: It was the only person in the whole thread who has thus far defended Apple/"i(fill in the blank)" devices!)

PostPosted: Wed 04-28-2010 5:35PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Source: IT Dept
i love how he not only refers to the antichrist by first name, also, he refers to him as 'the steve', like some kind of god or something

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 04-29-2010 10:53AM 
Major

Anyone read Steve Jobs' Thoughts on Flash post/article/thingy?

I think it's encouraging to see a push towards newer, open standards (e.g. HTML5, CSS, etc.) rather than proprietary plugins like Flash (which does indeed require a lot of CPU horsepower)... I just wish Apple's "push" was more of a nudge rather than a violent shove. I guess I just can't have my cake and eat it too.

PostPosted: Thu 04-29-2010 4:57PM 
BLITZVERPWND
BLITZVERPWND

Cylord wrote:
b) Flash that can easily be deployed via GPO's by IT admins ("easily" meaning that the MSI doesn't natively require local admin privileges to install properly)?

this is not possible because if the installer runs as an unprivelaged user, it can not affect other users. I believe best practice here is to have the GPO execute the script as Admin, not a logon script.

Better yet, use MS System Center Configuration Manager to push/install the MSI's in real time.
I have no experience with SCSM, but I can say from experience that MS SMS 2003 (it's predecessor) was truly awesome.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 05-07-2010 4:58AM 
Captain

Source: Fidelity
I have also heard that most flash video is just .H264 video in a flash wrapper and delivered via the wrapper. Which is why creating a, for example, youtube app was so easy. Create a custom UI that loads the same .H264 video file without the flash wrapper. Does anyone remember the whole "The iPhone brings the real internet to your phone" then a year later most websites have a special app for accessing these sites or a mobile version of the site. I am sure that the case will be made for the major sites to adopt HTML5 or create an app that plays these things without the wrapper. Sites that used FLV video file will never be able to change over. HTML5 is actually really nice from an end user standpoint in chrome. I agree with the thought most sites are going to start defaulting to HTML5 and flash video as a legacy thing, but I don't think its correct that Mozilla supports HTML5. That or I just haven't kept up on Firfox dev since I started using chrome. The iPad has a nice set of uses and yes its a huge ipod touch but it has a big screen and when apps are made to utilize it I bet it will be nice. I agree with the statement anything with the capability to read ebooks is most likely and ebook reader but to call a DS or even a phone is stretching it. But the iPad I would say can do it, and with the kindle app or the ability to convert your LEGALLY OBTAINED ebooks into the epub format and place those on the iPad would be nice. I wouldn't mind grabbing all of my textbooks on the ipad and taking notes on it during a class via a 3rd party notes app. Plus no multi tasking will stop me from IMing all class. But multitasking will be native this fall in OS4. Its not a laptop replacement but a different way to consume media and if done right organize yourself. It could never replace my MBP, i mean laptop. Oh crap a MBP, iPhone 3g, and an iPod touch.... totally selling one of them if I get an ipad this is just unnecessary.

Intel Core2Duo E6750 2.6@3.4:Gigabyte DA-965p-DQ6:MSI GTX 260 OC:4Gigs Corsair XMS2@800mhz:~ 5.0 TB:G15 Gaming Keyboard:Razer Copperhead Mouse:37" 1080p Westinghouse Monitor:5.1 Logitech:NZXT Lexa Blackline:Xfi Xtreme Gamer

PostPosted: Fri 05-07-2010 8:44AM 
Major General

Source: Fidelity
glhf taking notes w/ your finger.. i guess you could use one of those meat stylus things.

Also, Mozilla does support HTML5

Interesting read on HTML5 vs Flash

PostPosted: Sun 08-15-2010 7:56PM 
Colonel

http://mytype.com/blog/?p=109

Just throwing that out there. That and this.